U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM

3,185 posts, read 4,924,738 times
nairda - can you provide links to the heart-breaking disturbing articles?

The group from Colorado trying to change minds - is that the Freedom Foundation, whose leader Gwen Brown was defeated in a recent city council election (black and white locals opposed her with "Vote No to Cult Council" signs)?

Ack, gotta run so I can't write more to provide a smooth transtion:

Former Congressman Artur Davis supports voter ID laws to counter the long-standing vote fraud in places like Selma and the Black Belt.

Artur Davis | Political Reform | Alabama | The Daily Caller

Last edited by Reactionary; 02-27-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 7,398,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
@ Threestep - For one thing, I am very excited about the possibilities that I see for the city. I have been an active member of every community to which I have belonged and I believe in contributing to the local economy by supporting local businesses. While on my visit (for just the short time I was there) I managed to identify multiple opportunities to bring in a variety of social events for every member of the community. Additionally, I am a world traveler with a very diverse world view and business know how. I am also one of the few people in the nation who has received a perfect score on the school leaders license exam. I have played a major role in setting the standards for passage of the exam for any new people who aspire to be school leaders. In short, I bring a great deal to any table to which I pull up a chair. Whether or not Selma is ready for me and has enough plates, chairs, forks, knives, spoons and napkins to welcome me, is another question. My life is brilliant and hate and discrimination are not the sort of negativity that I want surrounding me. I pray that Selma is not a haven to that sort of thinking. So Threestep, what can Selma serve up on the table for me?
All I know about you is what you posted here. Professionally I say - great marketing write-up. Personally I say - Selma is a small town with its problems and pleasures; a grown entity with history and (hopefully) a future. Does it need what you want to sell?
I was a transplant to AL. Sunflower in a cornfield:>) One thing I learned early on - people are friendly, people let you into their lives - as long as you let them live it their way.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM

14 posts, read 44,753 times
All of you have been pretty helpful - thank you. Mobile seems nice and a I have family there, but I am afraid of the weather there! Kind of silly, given that there are earthquakes in California.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM

From where are you transplanted Threestep? I have also found people to be nice and usually willing to treat you the way that you treat them. Because my parents are from Wilcox County, we spent many summers making the trek from CA to "The Bend" as my mom would refer to Gees Bend. I have honestly never had a bad thing happen to me anywhere in Alabama. Even when we were in mostly white small towns. I always thought Alabama got a bad reputation from people who had never been there. I was just shocked when I read some info about the place. The Southern Poverty site is where I read some of the bad things. I also read about it when I did a search for the Selma Country Club. I am not looking to shake things up or change a small town. I am actually looking for that (w/ a few suburban amenities)! I live in a small town now in Md. It is just too close to the city. Most of my family, living and dead are in The Black Belt that is kind of why Selma stood out. Much more town than Gees Bend, Coy, Maplesville, Clanton (where they are). Maybe an extended stay will help - school is out in the summer so that would be a perfect time to test drive it!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM

"The Southern Poverty site is where I read some of the bad things."

Southern Poverty Law Center. No wonder you got such a twisted image of Selma (and no wonder you don't name names - associating yourself with the SPLC and the Freedom Foundation - thought by many in Selma to be a cult like Jim Jones' Peoples' Temple - wouldn't have endeared you to many people). IIRC black ministers recently protested in front of the Poverty Palace in Montgomery because the SPLC called them 'racist bigots' (the black ministers were named as part of "anti-gay hate groups").

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM

@ Reactionary - I am not political and didn't name names because I don't know any. We drive by the Selma Country Club on our visit to Alabama. While imagining my life in Selma, I thought it would be cool to be a part of the club. A search about it and life in Selma led me to this site as well as other blgs and sites w/ more negative things. I really don't care about some groups agenda. I just want to know that I can walk my dog and go anywhere w/o expecting to be called a racial slur. I want my nieces to be able to go into stores and play with neighborhood kids, and to go to street festivals and arts revive and see black and white (and any other people) being civil to each other. I don't want or need political drama to any extreme. Live and let live. That may sound CA hippie, but I don't care.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM

@Reactionary - My vision of Selma was actually pretty rose colored before finding and reading the stats and comments on city-data. Those comments and interest in the country club led me to those other sites. My interest in Selma is totally selfish. I'm not religious, I'm a political independent, I have been divorced, I have straight, gay, black, white, brown & yellow friends. Some are here legally, some aren't, some speak English, some don't. Some pray about every decision they make, some couldn't tell you where the nearest church is, or what day it's open, but they know how to mix any drink on the planet and where the best night clubs are. I don't know or care about the "latest" anything. I just want to know if Selma is good place to live, make friends, and laugh out loud.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 PM

IMO spouting off nonsense from the SPLC and supporting the Freedom Foundation will not get you into the Selma Country Club. IIRC the Selma CC has some black members.

Selma has problems and a history of problems. Selma has elected some awful politicans, black and white. The Jim Crow era white politicians were almost certainly elected using shenanigans. Many black politicians now use the same techniques (IIRC Wilcox County had some convictions for voter fraud recently). Unemployment and poverty are high. Selma is losing population. Not being on an interstate leaves Selma fairly isolated. No Starbucks or night clubs.

Selma is ~75% black and ~25% white. Selma has few "brown" people (less than 1%) and even fewer "yellow" people (less than 1%). Crime is ~3X the national average.

Selma has some nice historic buildings like Sturdivant Hall and parts of downtown. Race relations are improving despite race-mongers like State Senator Hank Sanders and his wife, Rose. Dallas County is 'wet' meaning you can buy alcohol. Some of the churches are integrating and the Freedom Foundation people have united black and white church-goers in opposition. Grumbles is a pretty good restaurant and I like the location on the river.

BTW Alabama's Sanctity of Marriage Amendment was sponsored by Yusuf Salaam, a Muslim (former) state legislator from Selma. Ah, diversity...

Last edited by Reactionary; 02-27-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM

If anyone has information about Selma that is not political, and does not include acronyms for political organizations and rhetoric, please provide me with that. I want information from actual residents from all walks of life about Selma. I don't care who gives it to me. Again, I AM NOT POLITICAL and not interested in hearing about spouting off on anything. I read articles about good and bad things in Selma. I want the deal from regular people. I am not interested in changing myself to fit in anywhere. I just want to know if blacks are welcome in the club or if there is an issue. Again - absolutely don't care about what you have to say or not say to get in. If you can share information about the quality of life let me know. Do people walk their dogs on the riverwalk? Is it safe? What times of the day should you or shouldn't you walk there? Are there any areas where most of the crime occurs? Where are they located? Do you know anything about the plans for revitalizing downtown? Do many people attend the Jubilee and the Pilgrimage? I read that a black kindergarten student is the first to attend a school called "something" Academy. I don't remember the name, that is why I didn't include it (no hidden political agenda). I hear that she is accepted and having a blast - cool! If you know otherwise then I would like to know. I just want the good, bad, or so so from actual, average everyday people. What is your life like in Selma? How old are you? Are you a transplant? How does it compare to where you came from? What would you tell your best friend or family member if they were thinking of moving to Selma? How do your kids like Selma? That is what I want to know. I live about 10 minutes from Washington DC and I stay as far away from the political world and politicians as possible. I certainly don't want to move all the way to Selma to dive into that world! Sorry to go on and on, but I really want to consider everything before I take the plunge or forget about the entire thing. The realtor that I worked with was amazing! She took me everywhere and I met tons of people. People that I only met for a few minutes gave me their phone number, invited me to sit at their table for lunch because there was a long wait and they had an extra chair, gave me a hug good-bye (black and white), told someone to take their keys and take me to their home to look around and see the place (without them being there!), the kids getting out of school listened to me and got it together when I told them to stop snapping each other with their jackets (maybe they smelled the teacher/principal scent on me!), the entire staff at Wal-Mart stopped what they were doing and gathered around to try to explain where I could find the nearest Starbucks. I got a few "scary" stares when we crossed over some railroad tracks and went far down a street called Church. I don't know if that is because we were strangers, looked like potential victims, or if it was because I was wearing the "heck" out of my new jeans!! So - if you can help me with a picture of the aforementioned for the everyday life of the everyday person, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM

5,404 posts, read 7,398,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
IMO spouting off nonsense from the SPLC and supporting the Freedom Foundation will not get you into the Selma Country Club. IIRC the Selma CC has some black members.

Selma has problems and a history of problems. Selma has elected some awful politicans, black and white. The Jim Crow era white politicians were almost certainly elected using shenanigans. Many black politicians now use the same techniques (IIRC Wilcox County had some convictions for voter fraud recently). Unemployment and poverty are high. Selma is losing population. Not being on an interstate leaves Selma fairly isolated. No Starbucks or night clubs.

Selma is ~75% black and ~25% white. Selma has few "brown" people (less than 1%) and even fewer "yellow" people (less than 1%). Crime is ~3X the national average.

Selma has some nice historic buildings like Sturdivant Hall and parts of downtown. Race relations are improving despite race-mongers like State Senator Hank Sanders and his wife, Rose. Dallas County is 'wet' meaning you can buy alcohol. Some of the churches are integrating and the Freedom Foundation people have united black and white church-goers in opposition. Grumbles is a pretty good restaurant and I like the location on the river.

BTW Alabama's Sanctity of Marriage Amendment was sponsored by Yusuf Salaam, a Muslim (former) state legislator from Selma. Ah, diversity...
Starbucks made it to Prattville:>) There I try to be diplomatic ...

Nairda - Every place has some bad rep. Some is true. Some comes from people who did not get what they wanted and are lashing out. You ask two people the same question and will get three answers.
You have ties to Alabama but try not to understand it. Things take time here. Folks have to mull over change. It has to grow and suit them. You cannot superimpose CA and call it a fit. Good luck in your endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama