U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 PM

175 posts, read 229,460 times
Default Non-christian living in the South

This is a sensitive topic -- I do not want a religious debate nor any offers to save me. For my own personal reasons, I'm not a particular fan of organized religion and definitely do not consider myself "christian." Realistically, how will this affect me if I live in southern cities? Especially if I live in a small town near a major urban area. And how will it affect dating prospects?

I know I'm asking for generalizations, but just trying to get a sense of if that could be a major problem,
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM

737 posts, read 1,277,467 times
There are plenty of pagans in the South too.

Seriously though, you won't have a problem unless you make a big public fuss about it.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 PM

10,298 posts, read 6,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
This is a sensitive topic -- I do not want a religious debate nor any offers to save me. For my own personal reasons, I'm not a particular fan of organized religion and definitely do not consider myself "christian." Realistically, how will this affect me if I live in southern cities? Especially if I live in a small town near a major urban area. And how will it affect dating prospects?

I know I'm asking for generalizations, but just trying to get a sense of if that could be a major problem,

This is what you should do:

1. Take a shower.
2. Set your alarm clock
3. Wake up in the morning
4. Show up for work as usual
5. Go home after work
6. Cook a nice dinner
7. Watch the news or catch a movie
8. Get ready to turn in for the night
9. Do it again the next day

Kinda like you would do in the city you use to live in.....

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM

10,298 posts, read 6,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
There are plenty of pagans in the South too.

Seriously though, you won't have a problem unless you make a big public fuss about it.
Exactly....it's like you're moving to another planet or something.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM

594 posts, read 351,039 times
I would simply avoid church and establish relationships with like non believers or people that don't like organized religion . If you hit it off with a gal who goes to church drop her like a lead ballon, Stay away from religious functions of anykind and avoid bible debates or discussions about Jesus or even satan. Just stay within your agnostic lifestyle and you'll be fine.

In Yeshua,

Das (Judeo- christian)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM

930 posts, read 769,200 times
Bottom line:

Nobody cares. Your beliefs are between you and Gaia, or whatever.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,034,572 times
***rolls eyes***

Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,999,363 times
Retro Photo - live your life, don't be a jerk, if someone asks you to church be polite, don't be a jerk, keep in mind that most people are religious so it might affect dating, don't be a jerk.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-29-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM

4,619 posts, read 6,176,378 times
From reading a lot of responses on the North Carolina forum in the past, it would seem to me that people in the South are far more likely than in other parts of the country to ask newcomers if they've found a church yet or to invite them to church. Even though I've lived all over Texas and a bit in northern Louisiana (the protestant evangelical part of that state), I've not really encountered that very much. However, in my own experience, people in the South (again, personal experience living many different places in TX and in LA) are more likely than elsewhere to talk openly about religion/church than you would encounter in some other areas of the country (I imagine it's similar, however, in the rural/small town Midwest). I think if you live in the more trendy, young/hip, transient neighborhoods of larger cities in the South, it would be rather similar to living in the Northeast or other more secular areas of the country, and you wouldn't encounter much churchiness in everyday life.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM

13,544 posts, read 22,420,220 times
I live in a small town and while I am not anti-christian I do not belong to a specific religion. I had many ppl invite me to their church when I first moved here. I just thanked them for the welcome and changed the subject. I will tell you it can be difficult to meet people in a small town unless you go to church. Church is something many of the people I know here consider a major part of their life.

However, I can tell you I have also witnessed people doing so many things for others in need here. I was born in AL but I have lived in several other places so for me it is nice to live in a place that is safe and the men tip their hats to women, stop for funeral processions and offer to help you do things you can not do.

It isn't for everyone but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama