U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Default Florence Alabama

I grew up in Florence. It is a great place to live. It is close to a lot of other larger cities - Huntsville, Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, Chattanooga - which make for great weekend trips. Downtown is thriving. They have "First Fridays" each month downtown where local artists and craftspeople come and sell their items or perform their music. There is also a big tree lighting ceremony during the christmas season with carolers strolling downtown, and all of the stores stay open late. It has all of your modern stores - walmart, target, etc- but with a small town feel. The college is great. They have classes for retired people, and if you enjoy plays, the Zodiac theatre and the Ritz in sheffield put on some really good shows. Be sure to have barbecue at Bunyans, hotdogs and ice cream at Trowbridges, and anything at Ricatoni's is good. There are a lot of festivals as well. The Renaissance Festival is this weekend, there is the Helen Keller Festival in June in Tuscumbia, and the WC Handy Festival among others. They have renovated the riverfront and it's really nice to go fishing or just sit in the swings and watch the water.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 PM

5,002 posts, read 10,599,476 times
For those interested in the railcar plant: it will be built in Barton Industrial Park, about 15 miles west of Tuscumbia just off U.S. 72.
An article here: Railcar company ready to pick Shoals | TimesDaily.com | Times Daily | Florence, AL (http://ftedit.ny.publicus.com/article/20070715/NEWS/707150344/1011 - broken link)
and here: Railcar plant's impact hard to fathom | TimesDaily.com | Times Daily | Florence, AL (http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20070930/NEWS/709300338/1047/NEWS02 - broken link)

Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,362 times
Default Mr. Carter Glass

It is now one year after your posting on this site. At this time my husband and I are considering moving to Florence area. Have you had any regrets? Did you find property taxes low? Utilities low? We are boaters and wonder about the local Marinas as well......do you have any comments that would help us?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 26,881 times
Default Did you relocate to Florence, Alabama?

I am curious if you relocated and do you like it? My husband and I are looking to buy 35 acres in north west Florence area and retire also. I am not real familiar with the area but we like what we see. Lots of restaurants which I am sure get super busy but still seems like a lot to offer. Shopping, home stores, etc are relatively close if you need them. Any areas not so nice to buy in such as dogs running loose, garbage dumps, etc??? Florence seems like a growing area, has rural acreage yet city is close by.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 26,881 times
Default Florence area boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi Morley View Post
It is now one year after your posting on this site. At this time my husband and I are considering moving to Florence area. Have you had any regrets? Did you find property taxes low? Utilities low? We are boaters and wonder about the local Marinas as well......do you have any comments that would help us?
My husband said Pickwick lake has some of the best small mouth bass fishing to be found. We are considering retiring in Florence area and lake is a real plus for fishing. The water level doesn't flucuate too much, if at all, like some lakes.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:58 PM

13,545 posts, read 22,431,371 times
Property taxes are low compared to many states. Housing is also very reasonable in N. AL. I think it is about 2% but maybe a little higher is larger cities. There is no personal property tax here. TVA provides electric to this area.

You also might want to check out Guntersville in the NE part of the state. The lake is 69000 acres and is home to several bass pro fishing events.

We don't have a lot of members from Florence who post here but others will try to help you if you have specfic questions

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM

76 posts, read 214,775 times
My family helped to settle the Franklin County area in the 1800's. Many still live in the hill country but several families moved towards Florence and the surrounding area as time went by. I have visited many times. For me, I simply love the area regardless of the dry summers and wet winters. I have experienced the bone chilling cold of northern Illinois and central Indiana. Anything south of Nashville, TN would be a welcome change in that regard.
If I were to decide to retire in that area, I would certainly entertain the idea of living in the Savanah, TN or Iuka, MS area.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM

5,002 posts, read 10,599,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There is no personal property tax here.
No, and thank God! I can't believe people in other states put up with that. However...there is a BUSINESS personal property tax, paid yearly on all items and equipment used in a business. And that's in addition to the sales tax the business paid to buy the stuff.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM

19 posts, read 61,423 times
I've lived all over the world from Birmingham, AL to Yuma, AZ to Okinawa and we chose to move to this area in 1972 to raise our children because of the school systems, the location (which is close to several metro areas), the cost of living, the wonderful outdoor activities, the friendly people and the low crime rate! Florence and the surrounding communities have more than lived up to our high expectations.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 PM

896 posts, read 1,587,208 times
Nice place!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama