U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM

742 posts, read 930,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morlaine View Post
Thanks for all the info on Dothan. If anyone else has more comments, I would like to hear them.

Why I picked Dothan? I started in Florida but there were many negatives to living there. I wanted a place that was not going to be too hot in summer. I like the heat but wanted to keep the A/C (electric) bills to a minimum. I was from Phoenix AZ before I moved to Costa Rica, so anything under 90 is a spring day. I also wanted a place where I would not have to shovel snow. I grew up in the Midwest and did enough of that, before moving to Phoenix, to last me a lifetime. Living on Social Security, I needed a place with a lower cost of living, lower property taxes, lower everything. Plus I wanted a small town feel but big enough to have the conveniences that I enjoy, like used book stores, electronic stores, art supply stores, Super Walmart, Home Depot, bowling, and movies. I also wanted to be far enough away from the ocean that hurricanes would not be an issue. I worry about tornadoes but I guess you can't escape every danger. And I wanted a place where there were places to meet new people and make friends without it being in a bar or a church. I rarely frequent either of those places. So I moved my search to northern Florida, then to southern Georgia, and then to Alabama and narrowed it down to Dothan. I did a lot of comparisons on city-data and Dothan, for various reasons, keeps coming out ahead.

I did check out Fairhope as was suggested by one person. It is a beautiful little town but a bit smaller than I wanted, and, more importantly, it's very close to the ocean, so the worry of the hurricanes rears its ugly head. Plus the cost of living is much higher than Dothan.

Again, thanks for all the great comments. And any other comments would be greatly appreciated.
Morlaine
Okay, I want to focus on a specific question I've had about Dothan for a few months, sinec riding through late at night from a trip to Florida last summer.

I see used book stores mentioned as being desirable... does Dothan have a significant number of used book stores?

I live about 100 miles north of Dothan but would like to add it to my list of cities to visit for book, record, CD et cetera shopping if such stores such as these exist of significant size down there.

How are the book stores in Dothan, if any?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,198,223 times
I travelled to the area for one week per month for a little over a year. That was just enough to let me know it wasn't for me.

However, I grew up on the opposite corner of the same state, so I can't say that it was much of a step down.

And now, I'm dead in between both places, near Birmingham. Work in downtown. And hate it. Alabama literally has changed very little since about 1980. And that was an improvement from 1960.

But the places i want to move to have their shortcomings as well. I can hope to eventually own my own home here. And by that, I mean mortgage free. Can't say that about Orance County, CA. I can afford to feed my family here. And that probably keeps me here. Otherwise, I'd rent, let the landlord handle the repairs and maintenance, and live my life in a place, far, far away from Dothan, Muscle shoals, or Birmingham.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 995,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Hi Morlaine, I have lived in Dothan off and on over thirty years. Currently in NY. Judging by your comments, I think you would be very happy in Dothan except for the temperature. From late May to early October, everyday will in the 90's during the day and 70's at night. Sunny skies are the rule with occasional Tstorms. If you can look past the heat, I think you are good to go. It's hard to imagine a town where people are friendlier than Dothan.
LOL, at me, yep!

I run the air in summer set at 84 degrees, and if it runs too long, I shut it off. Mainly I use to get out the humidity. I would say the biggest whether drawback for me is the humidity.
Texas, around Waco was better, but had colder snaps.

It looks on the computer like it is always raining here in summer, but it is not; most of the time it gets cloudy and very humid. Baton Rouge has more rain, as I live both places, it seemed every time I was over there, it was raining. So, we do get rain in July, but that is the rainiest month. Two years ago, all it did was rain, but that was weird, it is usually does not rain that much.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 995,633 times
I’m quite old and very sick; from that perspective, which is a bit atypical for even older persons, Dothan is pretty ideal. I live west of Flowers Chapel rd. Now, to get to Flowers hospital, it is a mile down and a short right on west Main, then to into parking lot.

I also shop at Winn-Dixie, which always has riding carts, all I need is there. My insurance lady is in the same local. My financial local is further up west Main.

When I am here, I spend less than a quarter tank of gas a month, less than that really, and I now drive a funny little car!

My average summer full utility bill is about $150 a month. In winter, mainly because I like it hot, my bill runs about $300 a month. I have nothing on in October and in spring, April, but here in Dothan, you get one bill, and all is on it, electric, water, sewer, garbage, and I have a second water charge for the lawn, which ups the bill about $12 a month.

The poster who mentioned religion is correct, you almost need to be a church member, (most true if you are over 60) if you care about a social life. As ill as I am, it is not a concern, as all I do it watch movies in bed, or find something on line to do.

The housing market is projected to rise in the next few years, but not sooner.

Do not look at statistical safety, rather look at where you plan to live. Crime here is near nil; there is not any street noise, but as soon as some buds begin sprouting there is constant lawn mower noise, and if you do not like that, then you need to get out of town, on ten acres you would have that issue solved, yet for me, I have to contend with it, or buy a very big home on a very large lot, and then what is the housing market takes a dive?

It seems most people my age like church and yard work, they live for that. If I were well, I would live in Costa Rica, or somewhere I have not been.I also like Santa Cruz, CA.

Last edited by OldDocKat; 12-24-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,909 times
My husband, 16 year old son and I are "Considering" moving to Dothan. He went there once on a business trip and he fell in love with it and said ever since then, we are moving to Dothan. Well, I was dead set against it because for one, we live in Perry, Fl and that was too far, but now the more I read about Dothan, it seems like a nice place to relocate to. I homeschool my son, and he is concerned about not making new friends (he hates to leave his friends here), but we are Church goers so I am sure he can make friends there. Any tips on moving there? Are the jobs good and what about the rent for a 2-3 bedroom home that allows a dog and a cat? We have to leave Perry because no one allows pets here...shame.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 PM

606 posts, read 1,025,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacc1958 View Post
My husband, 16 year old son and I are "Considering" moving to Dothan. He went there once on a business trip and he fell in love with it and said ever since then, we are moving to Dothan. Well, I was dead set against it because for one, we live in Perry, Fl and that was too far, but now the more I read about Dothan, it seems like a nice place to relocate to. I homeschool my son, and he is concerned about not making new friends (he hates to leave his friends here), but we are Church goers so I am sure he can make friends there. Any tips on moving there? Are the jobs good and what about the rent for a 2-3 bedroom home that allows a dog and a cat? We have to leave Perry because no one allows pets here...shame.
You should come over and pay us a visit. Look around the area, see what you like and don't like for yourself and your loved ones, weight in the pros and cons.
I have lived here going on 8 years and I have adapted well enought to become involved in several activities.

What is your budget?

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 4,796 times
Default I have to wonder...

I have to wonder if researching potential places to relocate is actually productive! The 4 of us, a dog no one wanted, a boy no one wanted and us two adults that no one wanted, are screaming to get out of North Central Ohio! Having lived in several different States, I have to say that to each is own! We have grown to despise Ohio, other than June, July and August. Any other month is preparations for a coming season. Honestly, once we hit July 4th, we become somewhat dreary at heart because it means summer is almost over. When August comes and it is just as Hot and Humid as Florida, we get depressed because by the end of August, nights become chilly way too soon. Come September we know the game is over and soon old man Winter comes with his depression spells, Snow and lock down. We are big hunters, but after 40 years of that, our stomachs are pretty much full. We LOVE fishing and water, but unless you like miserable conditions of sideways rain/sleet mix or high winds, fishing is only a few months. We have a family member that just purchased in Dothan and are very excited. So with all the blah blah said, we are considering Houston County. From forums we read, it sounds like a Tornado death punch, poverty stricken, redneck Bible condemning, if you dont join our church we will burn your house down kind of State. I have a hard time believing that but time will tell.

We are Christian people but we have NO desire to rejoin a church again. The Politics and Judgement from that alone drives people away. We love God, and nothing will change that. With that said, we also like our drinks, spit out a curse here and there, smoke our ciggs and have the same sins as most other church goers have. I know the Bible, I did seminary... so I get it! However, I have an anxiety attack just thinking about the condemnations I have read if you dont do the Church thing.

We are exciting people in our 50's with an 11 year old that needed a good honest home with some values but also realistic in living life. We are big outdoors lovers and would spend most all of our time outside. Obviously, Ohio offers that ability, if you like being an Ice Cube. Going to the store is depressing as hell because from Sept - April, everyone is depressed, grouchy and up your business because they wont deal with their own back porch trash!!

Dothan seems like an amazing place, but the forums are confusing us a little. So...someone please help us figure this deal out Eufaula and that Lake seem pretty inviting to us We are good people that mind our own business, give our praises to the heavens and yet pack our own sturdy punch! We also always wanted a pool!

We want a place to raise this 11 year old honest, take him fishing as much as we can, but also allow him to see some culture without there being so much culture ( like florida ) that everyone just minds their own business! It will be a cash it all in and buy in our new place so it is a last ditch effort to escape the misery's of Ohio and 9 month lockdowns due to a pissy mother nature!! Thank you in advance from the 4 orphans!!

Old 03-04-2021, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 9,806 times
I honestly never heard anyone compare Dothan to Tuscaloosa. Dothan is a growing city but nowhere near Tuscaloosa. Just the University of Alabama with students and staff is almost half the population of Dothan. Tuscaloosa surpassed 100,000 population several years ago and continues to grow. Over half the UA students are from out of state. There are 5 or 6 new hotels downtown that are all nice. This does not include the 35-50 interstate hotels.

Tuscaloosa has much more in the way of nightlife due to UA. It’s also a higher educated workforce. As North American headquarters for Mercedes is located here, there are many many supplier plants here. So much new construction downtown and infrastructure nearing completion. Also there is a shortage of homes for sale. In my neighborhood houses sell within a week of going on the market and usually sell for more than the asking price. Hundreds of new houses are currently under construction now. Within 10 miles of downtown, there are approximately 200,000 people.

Dothan is a prosperous growing city and very friendly but there are more cities in the state that are closer to Dothan in size. There may not be one as nice as Dothan.

Tuscaloosa on the other hand is now one of the big 5 top cities in Alabama. Tuscaloosa County is almost as large in population as Montgomery County according to the preliminary 2021 census with just 15 thousand less people. Research done!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:49 AM

115 posts, read 85,417 times
Dothan has its issues and it's good things. Driving here is ridiculous and getting worse. Not traffic but the drivers. Not angry, just clueless and inattentive. Traffic laws are more like suggestions around these parts. We have fairly high poverty at about 16-18% and rely heavily on service sector jobs like retail, food service and hospitality. Medical is a pretty large job market here as well. Litter is everywhere I know, but it is particularly bad around here. There are a few nice parks, a nice trail system is being developed and there is a pretty decent water park and small amusement park. We seem to be some sort of restaurant mecca (about 400 of them I believe) with a handful of really good originals and tons of chains. You won't go hungry in this town, that's for sure. Change is slow around here and there doesn't seem be any push to really grow but people from the outlying communities are blowing up the housing market by moving in and building. Very mild winters and the ocean just about 1.5 hours away are very nice attributes. Summers are long and the weather can remain steamy six to seven months out of the year. Downtown is very slowly trying to make a comeback but it's a slow, slow process. We have a civic center. It's dated and kind of small but it's still fun to catch things there from time to time. We saw Mannheim Steamroller (I think?) there and it was pretty cool. Lots of empty buildings and some pretty depressed neighborhoods just like most other places. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of long term thinking and vision here with our leadership. City schools are still a mess and have been the entire time we've lived here (wifey is a teacher). Lots and lots of shopping strips and eating and those are our main additions we seem to keep adding on the business end of things. Our mall is looking pretty bad and there are rumors it may close in the not too far future (high vacancy rate) so maybe a little less shopping. People are generally friendly but not overly so. It can be difficult to really get to know people when you are a transplant. I guess it's what you make of it really, like anywhere else. If I had it to do over I would probably go to the Auburn/ Opelika area. It's prosperous and growing (not just housing but businesses and industry) and you're still only about three hours from the beach. Good schools and booming downtowns with plenty to do. I'm sure someone will probably tell me to "go the he&& on" after they read this (has happened several times) but I'm just being truthful and trying to be helpful. I don't hate the place but I don't love it either. I know enough and have seen enough to know there are better places just down the road a piece. At any rate, best of luck to you and yours. Remember, come stay for awhile (rent) so you get the full effect and know if you've found your forever home. I'm almost 53, not getting any younger and moving is not fun but I'll probably being doing it again in a year or so. Take care.

Last edited by Hoping4Huntsville; 03-05-2021 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM

748 posts, read 563,480 times
The site below will tell you all you need to know about Dothan and what happens there...

https://rickeystokesnews.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama