Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times

Advertisements

yes, you need to call the county in question. Every county has different tax rates, and the municipality can add taxes too. I moved from Madison county to Dale county and my car-tag fees dropped significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
yes, you need to call the county in question. Every county has different tax rates, and the municipality can add taxes too. I moved from Madison county to Dale county and my car-tag fees dropped significantly.

That is very good to know! Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
...We ride motorcycles so scenic roads are a big plus...
I can't believe no one has mentioned one of the most scenic roads in the nation - Natchez Trace Parkway. It's restricted to non-commercial vehicles, beautifully maintained (it's a National Park) and, at 444 miles in length, you can ride as long as you wish.

We get on the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway near Nashville and exit around Corinth Mississippi for a nice day trip. However, you can ride the Trace all the way to the southern terminus in Natchez, Mississippi. There are quaint B&Bs and restaurants in nearby towns along the route but no businesses are allowed to operate on the park property.

So...anywhere in the North Alabama region puts you close enough to the
northern terminus of the Trace.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned one of the most scenic roads in the nation - Natchez Trace Parkway. It's restricted to non-commercial vehicles, beautifully maintained (it's a National Park) and, at 444 miles in length, you can ride as long as you wish.

We get on the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway near Nashville and exit around Corinth Mississippi for a nice day trip. However, you can ride the Trace all the way to the southern terminus in Natchez, Mississippi. There are quaint B&Bs and restaurants in nearby towns along the route but no businesses are allowed to operate on the park property.

So...anywhere in the North Alabama region puts you close enough to the
northern terminus of the Trace.
Well I know I'm going to be checking that out! I have heard of it but never really looked into it.
We'll be doing the Blue Ridge Parkway on the bike next year. I'll add this one to the list!

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Well I know I'm going to be checking that out! I have heard of it but never really looked into it.
We'll be doing the Blue Ridge Parkway on the bike next year. I'll add this one to the list!

Thanks!
After you rest on top of Cheaha take the back road down to Heflin. It is worth the detour:>)

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I haven't been on the Trace in a long time but I still remember it and would love to go down again. It is almost like being in another time.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
...It is almost like being in another time.
The original trace route was so well-traveled by travelers, horses, and wagons that it cut a groove into the countryside. There are spots where you can stop and actually walk on those grooved paths which really transports you to another time.

BTW - Meriwether Lewis is buried along the Trace and you can visit his gravesite.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Ok...Guntersville/Arab are on the list.....and I did see that Festival....sadly our travel timing won't allow it this time around.
I did see Depot Days up in Stevenson tho.

I, too, look forward to the actual seasons changing and the lower cost of living is a hugh bonus.
My pension won't be taxed as it's a government one and from what I read the savings in other areas will make up for the income tax.

We pay 7.5% sales tax here in Orlando...well up in Seminole County anyway which is 5 minutes from my house so the 8% won't be too much of a shock.

If someone could help me me car registration tho...this really confuses me.

For example....we now own the following.

1991 Ford F-150
2002 Ford Escape
2008 Harley Davidson Road King.

I realize by the time we get there these will be different vehicles but it will give me an idea.
I saw on the state's website the price for these are $23.00...but with a caveat of additional fees may apply.

Could you give me an idea of what it would cost to register these each year?

Thanks for all your help so far! It's been great!
You're gonna pay more in registration fees here than in FL...that's for sure. You have to pay value based taxes every year....that is determined by each county. In FL, we paid $90/year for BOTH CARS to renew...here it jumped to about $250/year. Of course, that was offset by the much lower property taxes we pay here....in FL we paid over $5000/year in taxes and here around $1500 for a home worth twice as much.

Like I tell everyone....the counties/states are going to get money somehow, how they do it will differ. From Orlando, you are going to see a much lower cost of living in AL, that is for sure.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
You're gonna pay more in registration fees here than in FL...that's for sure. You have to pay value based taxes every year....that is determined by each county. In FL, we paid $90/year for BOTH CARS to renew...here it jumped to about $250/year. Of course, that was offset by the much lower property taxes we pay here....in FL we paid over $5000/year in taxes and here around $1500 for a home worth twice as much.

Like I tell everyone....the counties/states are going to get money somehow, how they do it will differ. From Orlando, you are going to see a much lower cost of living in AL, that is for sure.
While that may be true for longtime residents now a days FL has a HUGE first time tag tax. It can cost you $200-500 to register 1 car.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
While that may be true for longtime residents now a days FL has a HUGE first time tag tax. It can cost you $200-500 to register 1 car.
As it does in GA/AL/TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama