U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM

51 posts, read 275,700 times

Advertisements

Hello all....

I'm a native of North Alabama who has been living out of state for several years. I'm currently considering a job opportunity in Tuscaloosa, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some input on living in the Tuscaloosa area. I'm an Alabama football and sports fan, so that is obviously a draw to me, but what are the pros and cons of living in a major college town? If there are any locals reading this, what is the scoop on the various neighborhoods and areas in and around T-town? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM

169 posts, read 324,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Hello all....

I'm a native of North Alabama who has been living out of state for several years. I'm currently considering a job opportunity in Tuscaloosa, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some input on living in the Tuscaloosa area. I'm an Alabama football and sports fan, so that is obviously a draw to me, but what are the pros and cons of living in a major college town? If there are any locals reading this, what is the scoop on the various neighborhoods and areas in and around T-town? Thanks in advance!
I did what you are considering, many years ago. I can tell you that, depending on what your interests are, you will never run out of things to do in a college town. I was originally from the B'ham area, and when I took my job in T'town, I remember thinking that if I couldn't find what I wanted in T'town, B'ham was just a little ways down the road. Well, that never happened. The only reasons I ever had to go to B'ham was to visit family. Traffic can be terrible on game days, but that is only three or four times in the fall. Housing is easy to find, from simple one bedroom apartments, major sized complexes (can be noisy at party time!), up to mcmansions on the lake. Things have really changed since my time there, but at that time the houses most people liked were on the east side, exit 76 on I-59/20 and in the Northport area. Downtown and west were the older sections, so if your thing is history and rebuilding, a lot can be found there. You can also live very rural and still not have more than a half hour commute. The only downside I had while there was that I hated my job!

Ron

Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,456,136 times
College towns always make a smaller city seem larger. The kids like to eat out and have entertainment. Often the city has good public transportation, though I don't know of Tuscaloosa does, and I don't think you care about that anyway.

Drawbacks would be weekends during the football season, tons of college students who act like high schooler giving the other college students a bad rep, the town's population drops in summer, and the coffee shops the kids like sure are expensive.

I'm not sure if it's true in Tuscaloosa, but generally right around the universities there is the "student ghetto" because the aforementioned rowdy kids tend to trash the place. Though I remember in my time in Auburn that this didn't appear to be the case there, so it might not be at Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or