Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Alabama posed to become the next North Carolina?
Yes! 8 6.61%
No. 68 56.20%
Maybe. 21 17.36%
I hope not. 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true, and I think that it IS sincere the majority of the time.
I agree as well. My husband and I went on 8 Sandy Beaches Cruises organized by Delbert McClinton. Part of what made them so much fun was meeting people from all over, mainly from the south. One of the performers had a great bit about that very phrase....everyone had good natured laughs and discussion about it.

Just from my limited perspective here, I don't think Alabama will become the next NC anytime soon. I am amused at how many misconceptions some northerners have of the south. (Probably tru to some extent in reverse.) More than a few think it's odd for me to move to any other state than NC, SC, FL, or VA. Because that's all they know?? I'm fine with that, and hope it's a real long time before everyone discovers beautiful Alabama!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I agree as well. My husband and I went on 8 Sandy Beaches Cruises organized by Delbert McClinton. Part of what made them so much fun was meeting people from all over, mainly from the south. One of the performers had a great bit about that very phrase....everyone had good natured laughs and discussion about it.

Just from my limited perspective here, I don't think Alabama will become the next NC anytime soon. I am amused at how many misconceptions some northerners have of the south. (Probably tru to some extent in reverse.) More than a few think it's odd for me to move to any other state than NC, SC, FL, or VA. Because that's all they know?? I'm fine with that, and hope it's a real long time before everyone discovers beautiful Alabama!
you left out GA

Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I voted the last option as i dont think anyone wants that to happen!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I voted "I hope not" even tho we DO plan to retire there.

I hope the powers-that-be look at what happened to Florida AND parts of NC and don't make the same mistakes they did IF they decide to court the retirees.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Can we please stop pretending that "bless your heart" is some subversive dig that Southerners use? If a Southerner says to another Southerner "bless your heart" and means it in a cutting way, both parties are fully aware of the intent.
And sometimes it means what it says. It's a sympathetic remark.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
As a lifelong resident of NC, I say: PLEASE! Y'all take all of these New Yorkers from us! PLEASE! I don't see how there can be anybody left in NY or Joisey--they've all come here (to loudly and aggressively tell us how much better things were done up there).

Don't you want them, Alabama...please??

Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Being a retiree transplant from N.Y.C I can tell you all becareful what you wish for as far as "moving foward". My one suggestion to AL state/local govts are...think before you leap. People of this state need to elect fiscally smart people and stay far far away from becoming a "welfare state".
N.Y. is a disaster and as far as NC I feel bad for them because so many ex-N.Yers moved in and brought with them the same polical beliefs that have ruined N.Y.

Just my 2 cents.
The Geography of Government Benefits - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

Hmm. Which states are welfare states? As you can see from this map, Alabamans rely on welfare a lot more than New Yorkers - a whole lot more. North Carolinians also appear to rely on welfare programs less than Alabamans, especially in the parts of NC that have attracted growth and newcomers. Birmingham folks use a lot less welfare than folks in the other parts of Alabama - wonder why that is?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The Geography of Government Benefits - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

Hmm. Which states are welfare states? As you can see from this map, Alabamans rely on welfare a lot more than New Yorkers - a whole lot more. North Carolinians also appear to rely on welfare programs less than Alabamans, especially in the parts of NC that have attracted growth and newcomers. Birmingham folks use a lot less welfare than folks in the other parts of Alabama - wonder why that is?
The black belt, the delta, and Appalachia. No surprises there.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As a lifelong resident of NC, I say: PLEASE! Y'all take all of these New Yorkers from us! PLEASE! I don't see how there can be anybody left in NY or Joisey--they've all come here (to loudly and aggressively tell us how much better things were done up there).

Don't you want them, Alabama...please??
From what I have seen in Baldwin County, we get more transplants from midwestern states like Indiana and Michigan. I've even seen quite a few Canadian plates. Not many New Yorkers here though.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
I'm from New York and now live in Virginia and I like the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama