U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM

800 posts, read 3,045,920 times
Default Travelin' to Gulf Shores :)

What's it like in Gulf Shores? I'm staying on the ocean with some pals...for a very laidback beach type of vacation...

What is there to do? I know there's a Zoo, etc.

Any places recommed to eat, shop, or hang out at? Any good places to hear some good live music (rockabilly would be great!).

Any help is most appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 AM

14,874 posts, read 22,654,558 times
There is a restaurant up around Foley, Al that is owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister. He is known to pop in from time to time. There is a seafood place that was called Julie's that was right across on the beach from where Hwy 59 deadends. There was another seafood place over on a marina called Zeke's that was real good and a little more "white tablecloth"ish. In Foley there is a outlet mall. There is also the airlines lost luggage store somewhere in that area. Take your beach chairs, umbrellas or even one of those canopy/tents to put out on the beach. Unless you are staying somewhere that has the chaise lounges and umbrellas already on the beach for you.

I like the Gulf Shores area. Not as crowded as Destin since the larger condos are not huge highrises (there are some right at the Florida line that are bigger and closer together) and houses are mixed in between them so it is more spread out.

Go to Fort Morgan. It is pretty neat. If the ferry is running over to Dauphin Island you can do that from Fort Morgan.

Have fun

Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 AM

24 posts, read 140,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There is a restaurant up around Foley, Al that is owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister. He is known to pop in from time to time. There is a seafood place that was called Julie's that was right across on the beach from where Hwy 59 deadends. There was another seafood place over on a marina called Zeke's that was real good and a little more "white tablecloth"ish. In Foley there is a outlet mall. There is also the airlines lost luggage store somewhere in that area. Take your beach chairs, umbrellas or even one of those canopy/tents to put out on the beach. Unless you are staying somewhere that has the chaise lounges and umbrellas already on the beach for you.

I like the Gulf Shores area. Not as crowded as Destin since the larger condos are not huge highrises (there are some right at the Florida line that are bigger and closer together) and houses are mixed in between them so it is more spread out.

Go to Fort Morgan. It is pretty neat. If the ferry is running over to Dauphin Island you can do that from Fort Morgan.

Have fun
yep, that about sums up the "things to do list", sad isn't it? Unless you just want to ride a ferry(and it's not cheap) don't waste your time or money going to Dauphin Island. It's awful! Dirty beaches. Broken glass all over the sand. It is so dirty it actually stinks-for real-smells.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Sitting on the beach doing NOTHING sounds pretty darn good to me. Who cares about man made things when you can sit on the beach and just relax and take it all in.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 AM

24 posts, read 140,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sitting on the beach doing NOTHING sounds pretty darn good to me. Who cares about man made things when you can sit on the beach and just relax and take it all in.

I understand those that enjoy it. I just happen to be more of a get up and go type girl. Plus too much danger sitting in the sun. The heat bothers me and causes migraines.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
I understand those that enjoy it. I just happen to be more of a get up and go type girl. Plus too much danger sitting in the sun. The heat bothers me and causes migraines.
LOL!! I'm a "get up and go" type also. If I am somewhere w/ a lot of things to see and do, I'M THERE. That is why I have to have some places to go that are slow paced w/ out a lot of nonstop activity to go so that we can unwind. The busy vacations are the ones that you come home and need a vacation FROM the vacation.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks so much for the replies and for the recommendations...Ya'll rock

I'm pretty get and go type of person too...Hee hee! I can relate to both. I really need to sit on the beach and just chill...I've had tons of stress this year (don't we all? LOL). I am going with two gal pals and we're callin' it the Goddess Getaway

I'll be one of the umbrella and chair users for sure...My pale Celtic skin will light up the sky Hee hee!

Lots of hugs for everyone!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 367,647 times
momof2dfw...Uh O.K.

To Do :
The Track
Waterville U.S.A.
Eat:within walking distance of each other
Sea and Suds
Pink Pony Pub
Papa Rocco's
Hooters
AND by all means go to the flora bama at least once during the afternoon you will hear the music you seek.Go to Live Bait in the evening(without kids)

Old 10-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Got back Sunday morning from my trip. It was gorgeous! Actually, I stayed in Orange Beach near Gulf Shores in the Phoenix condos. The sand was like sugar and the beaches and water were very clean! I spent most of my time on the beach (with SPF 30 LOL!!!). At night, we ate at Steamer's, Mickee's, and went to Tin Top in Bon Secours. It was fun to shop at night at the souvenir places too. Also, we were able to go to the Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores...What a blast!

I was impressed by the friendliness of people and the laidback nature of the area. It was a big relief from suburban life in Metro Detroit where I live now.

I also was able to go to FloraBama one night Very fun!

I almost like Orange Beach, AL better than some of the touristy areas in Florida. It was more relaxed and calm, but then, again, I was in the off-season

I'd highly recommend these areas as a place to visit. Also, very family friendly I noticed...I don't have kids, but I'd feel comfortable going down there with nephew and my family

Thanks for all the recommendations too, btw You are so kind

Bear Hugs, L

Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
yeah dolphin does bite. I lived in Mobile with my fiance for three months, when I first moved there I was like yepp this is gonna be so fun. Boy... did I ever get a surprise. After three months I was really to come back to my boring little town of Pell City. That was a huge place and just as boring lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama