Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times

Advertisements

Legal, but very wrong. VERY wrong. This needs to be exposed more so that those in charge get flack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
It's now 2012 - 40+ years later.
And you're still judging Alabama on your experiences in the late '60s?
Didn't you know? North Carolina was a hotbed of tolerance back in the 60's. There weren't any major conflicts over segregation back then in NC or anything.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
It's now 2012 - 40+ years later.
And you're still judging Alabama on your experiences in the late '60s?
Yeah, but imagine how hot he must think his old girlfriends still look...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
And to think, some people actually ask me why I have such a low opinion of Alabama. My experiences back in the late sixties were not good either and I am a white guy.
And to think, nobody actually cares about your low opinion of Alabama.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
I suspect there is more to the story than what we're reading here. That "more" might involve either justified actions by the legal system or corruption. I don't know. I just suspect there is more to the story that would shed light on what's going on here. I have a hard time believing this happened out of neutral due process. Either the system is abusing power because they have some vendetta against this woman, or the criminality of the woman's actions exceed what is being portrayed in the article.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Heh heh. "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do..." Awww, Ricky...

In an order filed Wednesday, Shelby County Circuit Court Judge Hub Harrington said the Harpersville Municipal Court was running a “judicially sanctioned extortion racket.”
Harrington wrote that the court’s actions repeatedly violated the constitutional rights of defendants that appeared before it.

Judge halts private probation practice in Alabama city, equates it to ‘debtors prison’ - The Washington Post

Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM

21 posts, read 168,971 times
i have a similar story, but a much happier ending. i got cought speeding in alabama (on 231) and forgot about the ticket till the notice came in the mail that my license was suspended. It ended up costing some 200$ for the ticket (after court costs, ect), and cost me like 60 to get my license un-suspended.

Every time i have gotten a ticket (i have a lead foot) the judge has been helpful, and most of them understand that we live in alabama, not a place like california. Were poor in the rural south. they understand that. ive paid off more tickets in installment payments than i have my own credit cards. Next time you get a ticket, talk to the judge. they will usually work out some sort of payment plan. They dont want to throw the good people in jail, and frankly they dont even want you to have to appear in front of them.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/us...=MYWAY&ei=5065

"CHILDERSBURG, Ala. — Three years ago, Gina Ray, who is now 31 and unemployed, was fined $179 for speeding. She failed to show up at court (she says the ticket bore the wrong date), so her license was revoked.

When she was next pulled over, she was, of course, driving without a license. By then her fees added up to more than $1,500. Unable to pay, she was handed over to a private probation company and jailed — charged an additional fee for each day behind bars.

For that driving offense, Ms. Ray has been locked up three times for a total of 40 days and owes $3,170, much of it to the probation company. Her story, in hardscrabble, rural Alabama, where Krispy Kreme promises that “two can dine for $5.99,” is not about innocence. "

That sounds more like something out of the poor prisons of England in the early industrial age.
Gina Ray's argument is not plausible. If the ticket bore the "wrong date" she would have paid the ticket on the wrong date and if, indeed, this was true, I'm sure the clerk of the court would have brought it to someone's attention and things would have worked out. No, instead she chose to IGNORE the ticket (regardless of whether the date was right or wrong), and she paid the price for it down the road.

If you want to live as a member of society, then you have to play by the rules. If you don't they throw yo' butt in jail and it doesn't matter a bit if you are black or white trash.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Moral of the story:

Pay your debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama