Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 84,370 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are relocating to Baldwin County hopefully in about one year and I was just wondering what everyone Pros and Cons are for living there?

We visited during Memorial Day Weekend and absolutely fell in love with it! Sure, its hot and humid most of the time, but I have dealt with that before, so I dont mind it too much! We would like to live around Foley, maybe Robertsdale. We looked at Fairhope and it was beautiful, but I think I would rather be closer to Foley.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 19,455 times
I plan on moving from Florida to Alabama for two reasons....one, fewer strong hurricanes and, secondly, cost of living is less expensive. I am considering the Eufaula and Abbeville area on the Chattahoochee River.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:40 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
It is more expensive around Fairhope to buy a house. I like Silverhill a quiet little town. Housing is going to cost more in Baldwin county since many people live there and go to Mobile to work. Foley is a nice town but really crowded during the summer especially on the weekends.
Magnolia Springs is pretty and right outside of Foley. You would have to go into Foley to shop but it isn't that far.
Close to the beach, means leaving during hurricanes. Will you going to have to work?

What are you looking for in a town

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 84,370 times
My husband and I will both have to work.... I am a paralegal so I would need a job at a law office and my husband is a CNA so we hope to maybe get him working at the hospital in Foley if they are hiring at the time!

We are looking for a more laid back town that is not too populated and that would be great for raising a family (we have only been married for a year and a half). We have always talked about moving to Baldwin County even before we got married and just never really did; maybe out of fear I guess because his family is here in Tennessee (I am from Mississippi, but my immediate family is here in Tennessee). It may seem silly, but since we have always wanted to move to Baldwin County, we do not want to look back in 10 years and wonder what it could have been like if we had just taken the chance and gone.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 18,623 times
Hi Jen! I live in middle Tennessee, just outside of Nashville, and am a paralegal also. My family and I are planning to move to Baldwin County, Alabama next year..I hope you are successful in your move.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,841 times
Question Relocating to the Mobile area!!!

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone made the move from Tennessee to the Mobile Alabama area? I'm also relocating to the area and will be in the area looking at houses in the next week! I'm excited, to be so close to the ocean. I to will have to work. So I'm going to be looking for a good position in a great medical office! My husband willing to drive about an hour to his new office. We are looking for a home with at least an acre or more property. I like the Fairhope, Daphne area also! Just wondering about the cost of living due to state income tax and the home owners insurance? If anyone has and advise, tips, or recommendations please respond...
Thanks,
Donna K

Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 AM

179 posts, read 405,762 times
Hospitals for your husband to work from include South Baldwin Regional Medical Center (about two miles from me) and Thomas Hospital in Fairhope. There are also many other clinics and satellites of hospitals in Mobile located here. Of course there are also many lawyers' offices, just like any other areas. Keeper gave you a good rundown on things, but to clarify one of his statements, Foley itself is not very crowded during the summer season, it's highway 59 that can be congested. They are (and have been for what seems like a long time) trying to synchronize all the lights from the beach up to Robertsdale to help traffic flow, with moderate success. There are plenty of alternate roads (Orange Beach Express, county roads 55 and 65 etc. that can get you somewhere faster.

Insurance will get pricier the closer you are to "big water". Above US 98 it becomes more reasonable. Above I-10 it's nearly normal. The closer you get to Daphne and Fairhope and Spanish Fort, the pricier land becomes, because these have become basically suburbs for Mobile workers. Places like Foley, Summerdale, Robertsdale, Magnolia Springs, Silverhill, Loxley, Elberta etc. are more likely to offer larger lots at a more reasonable cost.

Ron
Foley

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Silverhill is a beautiful area to live in. I hope that my wife and I can move back to that area in the next 4-5 years ourselves. Thomas Hospital is well known in the area and from personal experience did an excellent job of taking care of my mother when she was battling cancer. My sister lives in Loxley and loves it as well.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
fairhope that where you need to be

Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 10,334 times
Default Coastal Alabama pros and cons

Considering moving from Southeast Tx to Fairhope area for retirement in a few years but looking to buy a home now. Any suggestions or comments? Enjoy living there or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama