Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 22,652 times

Advertisements

After much research and all the helpful information from this forum, our family has decided to relocate to Huntsville, however, my husband will be working in Culman. He will also be flying out of Huntsville International Airport several times a week. My question is - if we decide to live on the southeast side of Huntsville, say in Hampton Cove, is there a quicker way to get down to Culman without going on I-65, or is traveling across town not a big deal? He will be driving, when he's not away on business, regular business hours (7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM

69 posts, read 232,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck01 View Post
After much research and all the helpful information from this forum, our family has decided to relocate to Huntsville, however, my husband will be working in Culman. He will also be flying out of Huntsville International Airport several times a week. My question is - if we decide to live on the southeast side of Huntsville, say in Hampton Cove, is there a quicker way to get down to Culman without going on I-65, or is traveling across town not a big deal? He will be driving, when he's not away on business, regular business hours (7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Hi! I live in FL but I grew up in Cullman. 65 is probably the quickest way from H'ville to Cullman, but you can also travel AL Hwy 231 to I 65 or to AL hwy 31. Check out the map. Have you already decided that you would move to Huntsville? Cullman is a great town. It is dry though. That means no alcohol sales. Huntsville is good too.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Yeah, that is at least an hour or more drive everyday one way. Did you check out other towns a little closer to Cullman or Cullman itself? If you lived in or around Cullman your DH could go to either H'ville or B'ham airport, Birmingham would actually be closer in miles. They have more flights in and out too.
Just curious.. What are you looking for that made you decide on H'ville?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks. Sorry I misspelled Cullman.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 PM

We decided on H'ville because the drive north to Cincinnati, where our daughters live, is closer than driving from Birmingham. I'm afraid Cullman is too small for me. I need bars, restaurants, and movie theaters. Although, I've read Cullman is very pretty.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
ahh.. you know inquiring minds want to know.. LOL.

Well, good luck in your house search. There is another way to Cullman but some are 2 lane roads. You would go 231 to 69 to Cullman. Depending on where you live in H'ville it might be a little shorter in miles but I doubt it would take any less time, although you would be going against the traffic.

Let us know..

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
I realize that you may have already made your decision....but....

If your husband is going to travel a lot by air, there is a huge difference between the Birmingham Airport and the Huntsville airport. The Birmingham Airport has non-stops to about 28 cities and will be much better for air service. I have traveled out of it for years and you have non-stop service to NY, Chicago, Dallas, Cleveland, Las Vegas, Louisville, New Orleans, Phoenix, Denver, St; Louis, Houston, Jacksonville, Orlando, Memphis, Tampa, Detroit, Cincinnati and quite a few others.

Southwest Airlines makes a huge difference for the Birmingham Airport. Huge.

Here's a comparison of non-stop flights from the two airports.

BHM - Birmingham International Airport : Flight Schedules : Non-Stop and Direct Flights (http://www.bhamintlairport.com/schedules-flights.html - broken link)

Huntsville International Airport

Southwest Airlines has a lot of 'one-stop' service where the plane is on the ground for about 25 minutes and on the way to another destination. NOT really a connection, just a quick stop. This makes the BHM airport even more attractive...see the Cities Served Direct on their website....All of the service out of Huntsville will be truly "connecting" where you must get off the plane and walk to another gate to get to your next flight....MUCH different than from Southwest. I have over 1 million miles on the major carriers: Delta, Northwest, United, USAir, Continental and Southwest. I'd take a Southwest city over a non-Southwest airport anytime....

Cullman is halfway between Birmingham and Huntsville. You can get to the Birmingham airport from Cullman in 45 minutes.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM

Good to know. Thanks Bravo35223.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama