U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,832 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Boaz a small town about 15 miles from Arab. I live near Montgomery now but I still go visit my Mom many times during the year and from what I have observed you will have no problems with the people anywhere in Arab, Boaz, Albertville, Guntersville area. Their general life style is: you be nice to me and I will be nice to you. Check the police statistics in Arab verses similar sized towns near you, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. That does not mean to say that they are a few nuts in the Arab area because they are everywhere these days. But, in general, I would not be afraid to move there with a child no matter what my ethnic background. I think you will find the schools are better than average. Let me put it this way,I would take the atmoshere and people in Arab - 10 to 1 over the uncharming lifestyle of living near Montgomery.

Good Luck & have a nice day.
Guy who grew up near Arab.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 AM

602 posts, read 1,346,521 times
I just wanted to comment on the "there are no black/Mexican/other people living here" concept. Isn't it possible that black, Mexican or other folks just don't like a certain area for some reason OTHER than racism? We're all human, with preferences, likes and dislikes, not to mention free will. I can't really hazard a guess as to what other reasons there could be for minorities not to prefer living in the country, and maybe I'm being naive, but racism (while wrong) isn't the one deciding factor in EVERY choice.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,519,688 times
Mexicans will be living in areas of the south where there is employment to be found.

If they have difficulty with speaking english, they will be working where they can find employment where language doesn't disqualify them from getting work.
If jobs that don't require special skills or mastery of english pay less, they naturally will be forced to live in the cheaper areas.

Simple economics. Injecting anything racial into those facts is not being truthfull and is being misleading.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM

13,571 posts, read 23,149,796 times
I have to agree Flourchild. To be honest, I would venture to guess one of the reasons there are no blacks in Arab, is there just aren't many jobs here in Arab proper.

Last year, we had a poster who is black who stated he lived outside of Arab but was going to move. The reason wasn't the ppl but the fact that his wife was chased/attacked by a pack of wild dogs not because of the way he or his wife were treated in Arab.
Back then if you lived outside the city limits, there was no animal control for the county. That has since changed within the last month or so.

I just hope no matter where you live, you find happiness.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 17,992 times
I lived outside the city limits until last October and there were more animals "on the loose" but nothing too scary. I did, however, find a horse in my back yard one day - he had gotten out of his pen. He belonged to a neighbor. Beautiful animal. We are now in town and it is just as quiet as it was further out. I love how most of the yards here are so well kept up. And the businesses are also nice looking from the road. Makes everything look nice.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapp2it View Post
I know this discussion is kind of old but I just have to say something.... I moved to Arab 2 years ago. I am white and I still have not been excepted because I am not "from here". I am ready to move! It's a real rarity to actually see an African American in this town. My son came home one day after school and asked me why there aren't any black kids at school and he was 8 years old and could tell. I am a very sociable person. When we lived in south Alabama my husband would send me to the store 10 minutes away and I would be gone for at least an hour because I would always run into people and have to stop and chat with them but that hasn't happened here in the whole 2 years we have been here. Now I am not going to say I haven't met any nice people because there are some but I seem to have met many more that just aren't. I have another relative that has moved here too and she has never felt comfortable here or excepted either. Now on the nicer side.... Arab is a nice clean town with good schools. They do have a beautiful Christmas display of lights at the park every year that I will miss.
Oh, and they a lot of really bad drivers here too.

hi i live here to and i will accept you. im not originally from here and cant wait to move a way. I feel ya girl!!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM

125 posts, read 295,248 times
Wink One Question

Hey Yall! I haven't been here in awhile! haha well I just have a question. I want to move to Arab myself within the next 2 years. Are there apts. there or is it all just renting and owning?
Thank you!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM

There are some nice apts. Most start around $350 a month for a 1 bd room.

I don't know how Arab would be for a young single person. There isn't a lot to do here after work hours. There are no clubs or movie theaters in Arab.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM

125 posts, read 295,248 times
Wink Thank you!

Well actually Keeper, I like to keep to myself. I am not a party-er (?) I dont know. haha well I dont mind that tho. I want the country out look. Like I got at my grandma's. No one comes down the road for hours. All the stuff you need is atleast 15 to 20 mins away. I like it that way. But I understand the consern not everyone likes the country side either. But I have lives in the city my whole high school and some college which i am finishing soon! haha but I am ready to relax.
Thank you for all your help!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Well, I just don't want you to come to Arab expecting it to be a party town. They roll up the sidewalks around here. I would rather tell you up front than have you come here and be unhappy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama