Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM

32 posts, read 153,951 times

Advertisements

Im supposed to be moving to Arab Alabama this summer with family and was looking foward to the "country" living but since reading some of these posts ive been wondering if i want to live there at all.
Im currently in Northern Florida in a little town called Southport,the city people call it the redneck/county city but its nice and quiet and its the country living,we have fall festivals and the schoo is 13th in the state which is something i am definately wanting...a good school.
Ive lived in the city of Panama City for 20 years and im just tired of all the drama and crime.
I am definately not against any race but i do like things quiet.
I posted a ad on craigslist asking for more information on Arab and ive gotten emails stating that its a nice community and then ive gotten some that says its too country and everyone will be against you unless your 100% white (which its really hard to find someone nowadays that is 100% white).
I have indian and spanish blood from back in the days but my skin is white...
is this a really important thing in Arab? I mean where i live now they really arent into black people and mexicans but i dont treat ANYONE differently because of thier race.
Im wanting somewhere with good schools and a quiet neighborhood but im not wanting to move somewhere where they are totally judgemental on everything and a few posts i have read have said people in arab will not like you if you have non-white blood,have tattoos or piercings,arent a long time resident and im just trying to get some more information on it...
can someone tell me the good things about arab along with the bad...
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP and id appreciate those few people that stated earlier "Arab likes people that are 100% white and not mixing in with us" to keep thier comments to themselves...
im just a country girl that likes country living but arent going to want to be in a town that should make us ashamed of our heritage...
SOMEONE EMAIL ME

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I have lived in Arab for 2 years and I have not seen or heard anyone mention anything about race. I moved here from Tampa and I love it here. While I can't say I know everyone who lives here, there are hispanics who live here and prosper. Many people who live here work in Huntsville and aren't from Arab originally. I was in a fast food restaurant when a black guy came in with a white girl, and no one appeared to even notice. They were treated with respect. No one left the restaurant because they came in, which would happen if this was a racist town. Yes, I was watching because I wanted to see if there was a reaction.
Some older people are harder to get to know but most have been nice to me. It has been hard to meet people here but then I don't work or have kids, so I joined a food network group and have made friends doing that. Church is a good place to meet people. Most people will invite you to their church but are never pushy about it.
As an example of how people are here, a couple with a small baby had just moved into a trailer and went to have the electric turned on, when they got back to the trailer it was on fire and they lost everything. People gave them furniture, clothes, appliances and food. One lady let them rent a house she owned first month free. My daughter (who moved up here in 05) had surgery and missed a week of work without pay, the food network from the church gave her a box of food to help her out.
I know some people have said bad things about living here but I have also known people who hated where they lived and couldn't wait to leave while I liked living there. They didn't want to be there in the first place so they were never happy they just wanted to go back to where they had lived before.
I really can't tell you a lot of bad things as most of it is just petty stuff. Hard to find a hairdresser that cut my hair the way I liked it. Getting someone to do repair work or give you an estimate can be frustrating as half the time they don't show up, and if they do work for you, be prepared as they will tell you they are going to lunch and not show back up for several hours.
I don't think you will have any problems here. What else do you want to know???

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times
I can say if you are moving from Northern Florida to Arab, there will be virtually no adjustment. Frankly, 99% of Alabama has better race relations than most of the country and we continue to suffer from stereotypes.

The main difference between where you live now and Arab is that Arab is much prettier....

Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM

That is so true Bravo, just check some of the other forums especially the ones up north.
People here don't like illegals but not because they are spanish/mexicans but because of the construction and other jobs they are hired to do for less pay than legal residents.
I was in WalMart the other day and a young girl and her father were in there looking for an A/C filter. He spoke no english but the daughter did speak pretty good english, the sales people were trying to help the girl and her father but couldn't find the filter. I talked to them in my spanglish and found out the a/c was a window unit.
I am a watcher of people and was glad to see the sale people were really trying to help them. The sales lady even called another person over to see if he knew what type of filter they were asking for.
I really get upset when people make blanket statements about any place without giving a reason. If you lived here then say what the problem was don't just say 'don't live there'. I haven't even seen a confederate flag since I have been here and I saw those in FL.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:20 AM

24,533 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Why do you want to move to Arab in particular?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 153,951 times
Smile Thanks For Replying Ya'll

Thanks so much for the postive pots back
I was a little worried because i didnt know if my post came out the way i was wanting it too...i had so many thoughts and just didnt know if i put them in words the right way.
I am just wanting to get away from the drama....i know there are drugs everywhere but i just dont want my little one growing up around a bunch of crack dealers.

WHY ARAB IN PARTICULAR,You ask?
Honestly...my elderly mother,myself and my daughter are just wanting a change....theres too much drama going on in Panama City,we live right outside of Panama City and it is a little country and quiet but they are putting in a new airport and building so many new subdivisions that its not going to be country anymore.A real esate friend of my moms told her that Arab had pretty good real estate prices and that you could find a better quality and nicer looking home than you could in Panama....we were also told that it was "Mayberry like" and we like that....we like country living with country people...also my daughter loves horses and we heard the 4h horse club was the best in the state there...
hope that answers your question and thank you so much for your replies.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 PM

The schools are some of the best in the state. Real estate prices are low compared to FL. I have a 3/2 on 1/2 acre for less than 80K.
There is a house near me with 1.5 acres for less than 140k. Newer brick home, basement, garage and deck, yard backs up to a creek.
There is a horse club here but I can't tell you a lot about it. A lot of people own horses who have the space for them. My grandson is in 4H club at school. The schools are ranked as some of the best in the state, at least Arab city schools are.
Once you decide post again and keep in touch. Check out valleymls.com for housing in Arab.
Meth is the biggest problem in N. AL. but I haven't heard of any problems with kids using it around here mostly adults.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:18 PM

57 posts, read 330,915 times
Nikidann~Pulling this out of the dust to ask if you made it up to Arab yet? I'm thinking of going up next month and look around on my way to TN to visit my daughter. I was curious as to whether you've looked at the area for homes. I'm also in Bay county and want out (born here but lived all over). I've been looking to move back to TN but I sure do like NE AL alot (the land and people). The next move I make will hopefully be my last 'cause I'm gettin' dang tired!
Our move will be similar to yours I think, because it will be my parents and myself (all my kids are grown)

Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 PM

I found this from Nikidann
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaba...near-lake.html

If you have any questions I will be glad to answer to what I know about the area. I moved here from Tampa.. I love it here.

It is a great little town, safe and laid back. There is a brand new Senior Center that has activities your parents might enjoy.

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2007, 11:20 AM

57 posts, read 330,915 times
Thank you Keeper for the link.
I'm excited to come look around a bit. I found a wonderful area in TN but knowing the area pretty well since the early 90's, I've seen the changes and am concerned about some things there. Still looking for the perfect (my idea of perfection) place to stay put.
Once I settle in on exactly where we'll be looking, I may come back with a ton of questions
Thanks again~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama