Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM

182 posts, read 901,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
If it were my property that was listed and the listing realtor was blowing off calls about it, I would be upset.
Ditto that. I experienced this same problems when I was looking to buy about 6 months ago. I would print out all the homes I was interested in, drive by the properties, and if they were of interest to me I would call and leave a message for the selling agent as I wasn't working with a realtor. Many agents never returned my call and some of them I called several times.

Even if the property is under contract or sold you would think it would behoove them to return calls anyway as a means to network with more potential clients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,368 times
We just relisted with a different agent to sell our home because of no communication with last agent. Its like pulling teeth to get any info from them, no follow through. not getting much further with new agent.whats up?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,685 times
What's up? Well, you got one of the 10 in 11 that are idiots. Fortunately as long as the house has a decent listing on MLS, there are other agents out there that may sell it. (And if the listing is worded badly, hound them on it.)

Also, to some extent, I think some of us transplants are not quite on what I have taken to calling "Alabama Time" yet. When you are on Alabama Time, "Wednesday morning" might be Tuesday or Thursday or Friday or maybe even 5 minutes from now. It makes me grind my teeth in frustration, but seems pretty normal around here -- at least out here in the country.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 AM

136 posts, read 596,301 times
I completely understand the frustration and we go through the same thing as a buyers agent when we are trying to schedule showings. This is even worse on the weekends. I try to return messages within 30 minutes if I do miss the call. If the listing agent doesnt answer call another realtor. Most likely the realtor on the next house for sale in the neighborhood will know about the property that you are interested in.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM

32 posts, read 153,962 times
Default Same Problem

I am also moving to the area within the next few months and have left a couple messages and emails with a real estate agent in the area and have not gotten any response as well....i guess i am just going to have to show up in person or try to go throught another real estate agent if that is possible....i hope you are having better luck

Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
People are people, no matter where you are or what their job is. Could be lazy, busy, overwhelmed, sick, anything. Also, when you leave a phone message or send an email & don't get a repky, could be technology is not working. Try a second time before giving up! You can also call the agency and ask for the designated broker and ask him/her why you are not receiving a response. I am a Realtor & have gotten dozens of buyer clients because I was the only one who returned their calls. luck!
Moderator cut: advertsing

Last edited by Keeper; 10-18-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
And some people don't check their e-mail but once a day...once a week... once a month...some some don't check their phone messages. Weird but true.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
There are a few reasons:
1. The property has sold or has a contract, a backup contract and looks hopeless for
making any money.
2. Its listing has expired and the property is not available.
3. Its value is overpriced and any chance of making appraisal is negative.
4. Laziness: Many agents are part time and work part time. Gasoline, advertising and
other costs added by their Brokers eat up the sale money, therefore, they look for the
quick easy buck. In our area, many agents won't drive 5 miles out of their way to
make a sale. This attitude is driving the market to the 'For Sale by Owner' solution.
How do you change a work ethic...its part of the times?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 22,037 times
I am sorry for your bad experiences. Bad Realtors give us all a bad name. I don't understand why a listing agent would not call you back - there are no reasons that I can think of.

1) if the home you are calling on is pending or off market, the Realtor can help you find another home.
2) a call back is common courtesy in any business situation
3) given the fact that we are each a small business in ourselves, and the fact that we do have to pay brokers fees, referral fees, and other 'cuts' it is imperative that we identify potential buyers and sellers constantly.
4) if the listing is current, we are contracted to provide our very best efforts to sell the home. You can fire your Realtor for not doing so.
5) I think time is imperative, coming the most recently from the DC area, there is a slower pace here, (thank goodness) but in sales, time is imperative.
I could go on and on, but I won't.

You may want to consider finding a buyer's agent. This can be a contractual agreement or simply find an agent that you like; and work in cooperation with that agent to assist you in finding a new home. If you do find an agent you like, please buy your home through that agent, otherwise he/she will have wasted time, effort and funds in helping you locate a home, without receiving a commission to reimburse for effort and funds spent.

The other thing you may want to consider, if you have not already, is to have your financing all lined up. Contact a lender and find out exactly how much they will lend you for a home. It is best if they can provide you with a pre-qualification letter or pre-approval letter. Then you will be looking at the appropriate price range. Many Realtors work with a buyer for weeks or months, before finding out that the buyer is unable to get a loan for a home in the price range, or even at all due to some credit issue. Very frustrating for all involved. I don't know of a single Realtor who would not work with you if you have your financing set. I suppose they may be out there, but that is another thread, I guess.

I wish you the best in finding a new home. It is a BIG DEAL, as it is YOUR home, probably the biggest investment you'll ever make, and the place where you live, grow and raise your family. It is stressful, but can and should be comfortable, exciting, and in the end wonderful.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
There are no excuses for non-returned calls. But when I became a Realtor there were only 1300 or so agents in this MLS service (across most of North Alabama). Then they announced BRAC and it seemed everyone and their fifth cousin thought they'd get rich as a Realtor. I believe I saw there are over 3600 now and counting... All they've done is dilute the waters with part-timers and rookies, making it extremely tough for all the clients coming into the market to get the service that they deserve. It also makes it tough for everyone dependent upon real estate sales and marketing as our chosen profession to make a living doing what we love to do.

Considering all Realtors, even rookies and part-timers, pay for all their gas, oil, tires, car payment, insurance (health, life, umbrella, etc.), marketing expenses for themselves and for homes they list, state/local/MLS annual and quarterly license fees, taxes, continuing education classes as well as the fairly substantial fees charged by our brokers for the privilege of hanging our license at their office, not returning calls is something most of us cannot afford to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama