U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 AM

28 posts, read 87,163 times

Advertisements

Wow! As a Realtor (full time) I am embarrassed that there are so many cases of agents that won't return phone calls! There are no excuses for that-even if the house is sold, under contract or burned down, an agent should at least have the courtesy to call back and relay the facts!

As some have said, just try the agent on the next sign and they should have the neighborhood info or can get it.

One important thing to do when searching for an agent is to find one who is full time and knows your target area well!

PLEASE don't think we are all that inept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,932 times
Default How to find a good realtor...

[Good realtors are best found by word of mouth...ask friends who they use and who they have found to be credible. Really good realtors, who know their area well, can help you find good deals, coordinate your home inspection, know the neighborhood ins and out and advise you on areas that pay higher taxes than others...There is a multitude of things you might miss yourself if you try to buy in an area you don't know anything about. Its important to know what kind of production level they have achieved, how many sales in their area of expertise, how many years in the business. I always think a great question to ask is...do you own your own home or homes and where are they located? If they don't invest in real estate, how can they be all that knowledgeable..? DO NOT BE AFRAID to ask them these kind of questions...and do fill them in on your needs and your financial where-with-all. If your realtor hasn't asked you if you have a house you need to sell or a down payment saved, you are working with an inexperienced sales person. Yes, they need to find this information out BEFORE they show you all the houses you can't afford! I am a Realtor of 15 years and a top producer in my area on the North Oregon Coast. I love what I do and have many satisfied clients who send me a note often telling me how much money I have helped them make with their choices over the years. I love it! Rosalie

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 AM

12,547 posts, read 12,068,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
ADN, I've been querying from the MLS so I can do drive-bys and look at neighborhoods. We are literally talking about no work other than checking their email account and hitting a couple of buttons to email me the full listing, and yet at least half the agents haven't responded. Of course, I don't tell them I just want the address to do a drive-by; for all they know I could have cash in hand. It's dreadful for their clients but good for me... I'm keeping notes on which agents I won't talk to when I pick a buyers agent.

Unfortunately, for every agent out there that is a dedicated professional that earns every penny of their commission, there are 10 idiots that got into real estate because they thought it was an easy way to make lots of money part time with no qualifications.
Good for you on keeping notes a call to their broker would not hurt either.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,932 times
Default Human error

Maybe she was out of town, or her cell phone was out of service. Try again, always! Most sales persons return their calls unless their is a legitimate problem. I know it happens, sign me a good realtor who has missed a call once or twice when she was out of town/out of my service area.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 AM

12,547 posts, read 12,068,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robroebuck View Post
Wow! As a Realtor (full time) I am embarrassed that there are so many cases of agents that won't return phone calls! There are no excuses for that-even if the house is sold, under contract or burned down, an agent should at least have the courtesy to call back and relay the facts!

As some have said, just try the agent on the next sign and they should have the neighborhood info or can get it.

One important thing to do when searching for an agent is to find one who is full time and knows your target area well!

PLEASE don't think we are all that inept!
Or they will say they will send you listings and never do. Also not working nights or weekends was a phase here in the boom I don't know about now since it has slowed down. But who would refer them if they didn't work after 5, weekends, return calls, or e-mail listings? Not me that is for sure.
A business persons best advertising is word of mouth and it is free!

Yes, knowing the area well is important very important......
Also knowing the difference in property type is equally important, such as rural acreages oppose to subdivisions or city dwelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama