Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

GLBT couple with kids; considering moving to Birmingham Alabama for one to two years, information on GLBT tolerance, bi-racial children, local schools, mid-range housing

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,782 times

Advertisements

I'm almost afraid to post this since I've read about negative comments from other members, but here goes. If everyone could be kind with their honesty, I would really appreciate it.

We are a bi-racial lesbian couple with four beautiful bi-racial children living in Atlanta. Everyone here treats us fine in one of the southern suburbs here and have never had any problems from anyone. I'd even go far as to say I've felt welcomed.

I have a possible job opportunity in Birmingham (that will last a year or two) and I was wondering if that would be a good idea or not. My gut tells me no, but I also worried about living in Georgia and I've been pleasantly surprised. Do we have too many things going against us? I know that many cities have gay communities, but they are not good for kids. The schools are usually crap as they are 'transitional' neighborhoods, and they are more for clubbing and dating. Obviously we'd be more interested in good schools, great parks, decent shopping, easy commute, and hopefully mid-range housing prices (which is probably the kicker).

My only other option that I'm seriously considering is just going there myself, renting a place and just driving home on the weekends to see my family.

Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Well, in my opinion, it shouldn't really matter how "different" you think you are, or may be. Its all about the attitude and how you present yourself.

As far as being lesbian goes, I'm a native Southerner, from Alabama, and I personally could care less. I know there might be some families that would object to it, but as long as you keep your cool you should do just fine.

If you are nice, and respectful to everyone, it will most likely be returned. You may meet some random stuck up person who may not be as kind about it, but like i said, for the most part you should be ok.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, in my opinion, it shouldn't really matter how "different" you think you are, or may be. Its all about the attitude and how you present yourself.

As far as being lesbian goes, I'm a native Southerner, from Alabama, and I personally could care less. I know there might be some families that would object to it, but as long as you keep your cool you should do just fine.

If you are nice, and respectful to everyone, it will most likely be returned. You may meet some random stuck up person who may not be as kind about it, but like i said, for the most part you should be ok.
Thanks, Frankie. I just don't want to put my kids in a bad situation. They don't realize that they are different, and they are good about letting things roll off them. They don't care what other people think, but verbal or physical violence towards them is something else altogether. Any suburbs you could recommend?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 AM

768 posts, read 2,100,669 times
Hoover is a good suburb, and there is diversity already there. It's not uncommon to see a "mixed" couple and I haven't seen it be an issue for anyone. A good friend of mine is half of an interracial couple and doesn't get crap. No one really cares nowadays!

Someone being gay/lesbian isn't the attention-getter it must have been at one time, either. I work with someone who is open about it and it hasn't hurt either partner's career.

The Hoover school system is good, too. Housing is relatively reasonable in many neighborhoods there.

ETA: Sorry I had to stop in the middle. Neighbors have a puppy and we had to go see it. Where was I?

I wouldn't let stereotypes factor into your decision. I live in Bham and it just isn't like people portray it, but that isn't what makes the news clips. I'd be more concerned with whether or not I would want to move the children for just a year or two. If your family is happy where they are, maybe you should rent an apt in Bham and see how you like it before committing to a permanent move and changing the kids' schools in the middle of a school year.

Last edited by AnyDayNow; 10-27-2007 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times
I'd recommend Vestavia....it has excellent schools and has good racial diversity - white, black, Asian, Hispanic...come over and give it a look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: