U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM

8,178 posts, read 17,176,969 times

Advertisements

We actually bought outside Ft Payne. It has a population of 14,500 mol. There are a number of smaller towns not far.
Ft Payne itself has a hospital and enough shopping to take care of the basic needs. If I need major medical, a mall or a Starbucks fix, Chattanooga TN, Huntsville, Al, Gadsden and Rome, Ga are less than an hour away.

Altho our move is a few years away, every trip up I'm making a point to meet new people so I won't be a total stranger when we get there permanently.

I also plan to volunteer at the parks and/or recreational areas when I get there.

I love the people from Alabama.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM

5,927 posts, read 16,694,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I recommend looking for a town with at least about 6k people. That's small enough to still be a "small town", yet big enough so that everyone isn't in your business. You also have to think about things like police/fire protection and access to a hospital (even if it's a small one).
Just down the road is a town of 10,000, and I often hear that its residents are always "in your business," as well as being insular and unwelcoming to newcomers. It also just lost its hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Dothan is a nice little town...Now if it would only get a Fresh Market, Pottery Barn, macy's...
LOL! I'd categorize Dothan as a "small city" rather than a "little town." And Huntsville, which is becoming one of Alabama's biggest cities, still has no Macy's.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 2,532,900 times
Haha! southlander ---- I guess it is relative! Compared to Atlanta where we lived for 30 years, Dothan is a small town. Compared to the nearest community now it is a city!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
im a small town lady from wva wat are the jobs like in small towns. also im a horse person so of course ill have horses. any suggestions

Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,413,633 times
Depending on what you are qualified to do you can make as little as min wage or as much as $50K, even more if you are willing to drive a little further to work. Where I live we have EarthLink call center and they make good money but if you work retail or fast food you will make less than $10 unless you are a manager. Many people where I live work at Redstone Arsenal or NASA so they make the big bucks.

You can find acreage here and a home or or MH pretty reasonable.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyquarter View Post
Im looking for a small rural town in Alabama,where everyone knows each other with small churches. But not to expensive.

About 60 miles north of Birmingham are a few: Attalla, Gadsden, Gallant, Oneonta...
Gadsden is a little larger. Gallant I would say is the smallest.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

72 posts, read 105,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyquarter View Post
Im looking for a small rural town in Alabama,where everyone knows each other with small churches. But not to expensive.
I recommend Troy, Alabama. Troy is a wonderful small college town. The locals are very accepting of new residents. Troy has some wonderful churches and great neighborhoods. It is also located halfway between two larger metro areas in Dothan and Montgomery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama