Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM

149 posts, read 182,220 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: racist
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlander
I don't understand. Are you in a dry county? Or do you want a dispenser next to your desk?
The first.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-28-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM

22 posts, read 36,182 times
My wife and I grew up in Birmingham in the 80's and have tons of great memories - but after both going off to college and traveling to other countries, our appreciation for the city stopped at our families and those memories.

Alabama is not the worst state and Birmingham is not the worst city - but something is holding them both back from progress. While the city/state is far removed from its Jim Crow past - business and new industry continue to bypass the Magic City...and as a minority, we seem to be the hardest affected by that. So when my wife and I made up our minds to relocate - we looked for cities that offered more diversity, varied cultures, progressive people and industry - one that had great schools and ranked as one of the best places to raise a family. We were pretty close making Huntsville our new home, but we ended up visiting Austin, Texas after some friends traveled through here and recommended we see it for ourselves.

Austin was already high on our list as a top choice, but it was 900 miles away while Huntsville was less than 150 miles. We decided to drivve here and within the first 24 hours the decision was made and we have been here for almost 1 year and have NO intention of EVER moving back to Alabama - if we can help it.

I have love for Alabama, but NO, I don't think I would live there provided I could live any other place.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwords74 View Post
My wife and I grew up in Birmingham in the 80's and have tons of great memories - but after both going off to college and traveling to other countries, our appreciation for the city stopped at our families and those memories.

Alabama is not the worst state and Birmingham is not the worst city - but something is holding them both back from progress. While the city/state is far removed from its Jim Crow past - business and new industry continue to bypass the Magic City...and as a minority, we seem to be the hardest affected by that. So when my wife and I made up our minds to relocate - we looked for cities that offered more diversity, varied cultures, progressive people and industry - one that had great schools and ranked as one of the best places to raise a family. We were pretty close making Huntsville our new home, but we ended up visiting Austin, Texas after some friends traveled through here and recommended we see it for ourselves.

Austin was already high on our list as a top choice, but it was 900 miles away while Huntsville was less than 150 miles. We decided to drivve here and within the first 24 hours the decision was made and we have been here for almost 1 year and have NO intention of EVER moving back to Alabama - if we can help it.

I have love for Alabama, but NO, I don't think I would live there provided I could live any other place.
i have a hard time believing austin is anymore progressive than B'ham and certainly not Huntsville. it may be more liberal but even that is probably overstated outside of the university area.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM

25 posts, read 60,642 times
there would be several motivator but they People and location would be biggest

Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM

149 posts, read 182,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
i have a hard time believing austin is anymore progressive than B'ham and certainly not Huntsville. it may be more liberal but even that is probably overstated outside of the university area.

Huntsville? Progressive? Ha! Better than most of Alabama? Maybe. Progressive? Certainly not. Huntsville might as well be the capital of status quo conservatism.

Huntsville has a nice dog park though.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
Huntsville? Progressive? Ha! Better than most of Alabama? Maybe. Progressive? Certainly not. Huntsville might as well be the capital of status quo conservatism.

Huntsville has a nice dog park though.
conservatives and liberals have a different idea of what progress is. to conflate support for big government with progress is absurd though.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
yeah, i don't live there.

you guys think leftwing places equals progressive. i enjoy that
Well enlighten us, tell us what conservative cities are growing in population, economically? Since your dying to make this a political based thread.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
Quote:
yeah, i don't live there.

you guys think leftwing places equals progressive. i enjoy that
How do you define "progressive"?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
As someone who does not live in Alabama (but who knows the state well), this thread has been fascinating. I'm a native Californian and still live in southern CA. But I love the south and for the past 25 years have spent much time in all seasons in the south.

Things I love about Alabama:

1. The food and the culture
2. The friendliness and helpfulness of almost everyone
3. How everything looks rural within 5 minutes of leaving a big city
4. People will go out of their way to give directions and being genuinely helpful
5. The pace of life seems much slower and more comfortable than elsewhere

Things I dislike:

1. The HUMIDITY in the summer. It's stifling.
2. The instant distrust or dislike from some people when they hear your accent and know you're a Yankee.
3. No mountains
4. Lots of junk on the highways, strip malls and endless Cracker Barrel types of places
5. The HUMIDITY (oops... already mentioned that one)
6. Hunting mentality and the gun rack in pick up trucks.

But all in all, I really like Alabama. Not as much as Georgia, but I love visiting.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
As someone who does not live in Alabama (but who knows the state well), this thread has been fascinating. I'm a native Californian and still live in southern CA. But I love the south and for the past 25 years have spent much time in all seasons in the south.

Things I love about Alabama:

1. The food and the culture
2. The friendliness and helpfulness of almost everyone
3. How everything looks rural within 5 minutes of leaving a big city
4. People will go out of their way to give directions and being genuinely helpful
5. The pace of life seems much slower and more comfortable than elsewhere

Things I dislike:

1. The HUMIDITY in the summer. It's stifling.
2. The instant distrust or dislike from some people when they hear your accent and know you're a Yankee.
3. No mountains
4. Lots of junk on the highways, strip malls and endless Cracker Barrel types of places
5. The HUMIDITY (oops... already mentioned that one)
6. Hunting mentality and the gun rack in pick up trucks.

But all in all, I really like Alabama. Not as much as Georgia, but I love visiting.
I don't think anybody distrusts Yankees except some ppl who live in a very rural area and are low income. There are so many people in the South who relocated from the north or their parents did, so it's not like we not exposed to people from the north.

I'd say Alabama as a whole has nice topography, there are hills around B'Ham, and if you go to Huntsville there is Monte Sano mountain and it's a nice state park in the city. There are nice hiking areas in NE alabama near the Georgia mountains as well. It's not the applachians but there are some real nice vistas.

I prefer humidity to super dry climates. it keeps your throat moist.

I have a hard time beliving Alabama has anymore junk on the highway or anymore strip malls than California. that's typical of everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama