Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 34,510 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

My husband and I are looking at several locations to relocate. We are currently living in Maine with no tornadoes--just a bunch of snow. It will all depend on the first job to come through but Huntsville seems to be a hot spot for jobs my husband is qualified for. The area seems nice. I am just wondering how often the sirens go off and how much warning is given. I don't have children but do have pets and worry that I wouldn't have enough time to get them to a safer location. I don't want to be anxiety ridden all the time waiting for the next siren. If you could please let me know how often they occur, I would appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
I thought we had a sticky on tornadoes? Anyway, the sirens are only for people who are outside. Most get warnings through tv or weather radio or internet. Sirens go off here for threats 20 miles away that will never come this way. On a day when there is an outbreak, sirens can go off a dozen times.

Draw a very broad line from Decatur to just north of Huntsville. That is a prime corridor. Old-timers say that tornadoes follow water, which seems to be true more times than not. Up around us, the storms create mammatus (sic?) clouds, which may not be as conducive to generating tornadoes.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,327,698 times
Tornado sirens are tested every second Monday of every month, year round. They're really for more than sirens...if Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant blows up and we all have to evacuate, the sirens will go off.

That line Harry mentioned actually should go from west of Decatur (east Lawrence County, around Trinity) to northeast. Most weather systems here flow southwest to northeast. Another line goes from south of Decatur northeast towards Joppa and Arab.

I don't recall a tornado that touched down inside the Decatur city limits for the past 50 years.
I could be wrong, though.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll look for more info on tornadoes for Alabama. I appreciate your response.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM

Thanks Southlander--I don't usually post on these things so I'm not sure how to respond to people specifically. Your info is encouraging.....Sweet home Alabama? :-)

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,327,698 times
You don't have to respond to each remark. It's cool to let several people post first.
Do try a search for different threads with "tornado" in the title. There are a lot out there...many have good suggestions for "living with tornadoes."
There are certain areas they tend to frequent. Try not to buy a home in those areas.
Spring and fall are the main times of year for tornado activity, but hey, Mobile had a tornado at Christmas. The main thing is to watch the weather. Our weather forecasters are pretty darn good at mentioning if conditions might result in tornadoes and keeping you alert. Warm, humid weather with a cold front coming in and a big change in temperatures? Then tornadoes could be a factor.

OTOH, hurricanes just don't get as far north as Huntsville. By the time they get here, they're tropical storms and we might get a lot of rain...but maybe not.

A tiny earthquake every so often is not unheard of. I've never felt one myself, but it's happened.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Here's what you do. If you have a smartphone, there are pretty good apps that tell you if severe weather is coming your way. Better than sirens, IMHO.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM

I don't have a smart phone yet-one of the last ones I guess. I've been fighting it because of the monthly data plan. If I end up in Alabama, that may change. :-) Happy to hear tornadoes aren't as likely in Huntsville. That area sounds very livable and nice. I just want a safe place with good people and a decent cost of living--Huntsville seems to fit the bill.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
Southlander said hurricanes are not likely in Huntsville. Tornadoes are very likely in Huntsville.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Yup, you are right about that! Well, there are a bunch of people living there and they seem fine, so I'll just have to prepare as best I can and hopefully get used to it. Thanks. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama