U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 70,460 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move between Dothan and the Florida line. Out in the county, it could be a little west as long as its south. Can anyone suggest an area. We are retired, no children. Currently we live in Eastern Tennessee and its too cold for us. A real estate agent suggested either Ozark or Rehobeth. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM

15,691 posts, read 32,508,035 times
It still gets chilly here, and I'm only a mile from the FL line.

Are you wanting to be near a city?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 70,460 times
Between 5 to 10 miles outside of a decent size city. Close enough to shop, but far enough to away from traffic. Ozark is farther north than we want to be, Rehobeth was suggested. My husband liked the rolling hills in the Dothan area. Even if its chilly there its warmer than we are here. Any info would help. Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM

15,691 posts, read 32,508,035 times
I've never heard of Rehobeth, but anywhere in Geneva County may work for you.

I was going to suggest Brewton, but its about 50 miles from Pensacola.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 33,759 times
i live in dothan and think its a great place. Some of the smaller towns around us and close to the florida line is . .. cottonwood, pansey( great place) ashford.. also a great place my kids graduated high school there.. malone fl is right on the line of alabama and fl..

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,264,112 times
My grandparents live in Dothan and Ozark. I would suggest Dothan or Headland. Headland at least has a little but of small town charm, whereas Ozark lack this. Dothan has a lot of great amenities and is growing to have more and more!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,940 times
Looking to move to AL from Houston in 5 years when we retire. What about the Lake Forest subdivision in Daphne? I have seen various comments around the web, so say it is a ghetto now, some say a great buyers market for land/lots.

I remember driving thru Dothan years ago and it was very nice. I just want to be closer to that beautiful beach than 8 hrs!! LOL

Areas that are growing? We are interested in buying land now and paying it off within 3 yrs.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM

149 posts, read 138,874 times
Whatever you do, do not live in Lake Forest. I grew up in Daphne. Check out around 6th St.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,926,488 times
I used to be through that area and the panhandle of FL all the time. SNL is correct that you don't get into what people consider "Florida" weather until you get around Orlando and south.

There are considerations to be made in any move. Florida has no income tax and no sales tax on food. Alabama doesn't have property tax on seniors. If you buy property, hurricane insurance can be quite expensive and will do nothing but go up as time goes on. Medical care is also important for seniors, so you want to be somewhat near a good hospital (and shopping for that matter).

Remember also, that as a general rule, the older you get, the less time you spend outdoors. Weather, unless you have specific weather related illnesses, becomes less of an issue than other factors.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 PM

557 posts, read 683,064 times
Unless you just really want to be way out in the country, check out West Mobile. County, around the edges of Grand Bay and Dawes, will put you out of most traffic, but close to everything in Mobile, and gives you several destinations close by. Beach is an hour away. Biloxi is 50 minutes. New Orleans is 2 1/2. Pensacola a little over an hour.

Housing/land is very affordable in the county, and in my estimation, has much higher resale/value potential than Baldwin Co, or anywhere South of Montgomery for that matter.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or