U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 10,185 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Dothan, AL area. We do not have to live in Dothan; however. What are some nice, safe areas within a 30 - 45 drive from Cedar Springs, GA (which is about 30 minutes from Dothan from what I understand). We currently live in a rural area where most houses have a few acres of land with them. We do not mind living in AL, GA, or FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,439,056 times
Since you currently live in a rural area, the move will be a nice fit. Now for me personally it was a shock. I do not live in Dothan but do live 45 miles north. I would love to live in Dothan if I could for my husband's job down here. It is a nice small town. It has come a long way from what I remember years ago on the way to Florida. If you want to live near it but rural you will have many choices. You need to visit and drive around the area.Schools may be a consideration and sports, opportunities for your kids. I don't know your needs. But you will be able to live in Dothan and still have acreage I bet. That is what I would do. Also be aware that there are certain counties close to Dothan that have flooding issues. The last 2 weeks we have had torrential rains after years of drought. Dale and Geneva County in AL had much flooding. There are areas in northern Florida that flood easily and GA too. Investigate and talk to people. At our home on the lake we had 15 1/2 inches in 3 days - but no flooding.
Dothan has a good mayor and is really trying to be progressive with cultural and sports programs and community offerings. Even has a pro tennnis tournament in spring. Good luck you need to visit.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM

596 posts, read 801,894 times
I interviewed at the nuclear power plant about 30 miles east of Dothan. Dothan looks like an ok place to live but it is isolated and hard to get to.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,439,056 times
Default Dothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
I interviewed at the nuclear power plant about 30 miles east of Dothan. Dothan looks like an ok place to live but it is isolated and hard to get to.

Not really ! It is on the way to the beaches on the Gulf. Close enough to Tallahassee (I-10),Montgomery and Birmingham and Atlanta all within 3-4 hours. Columbus 2 hours away. Not bad shopping for its size. Publix is there and enough restaurants to have a little choice. Plus the medical services are good in Dothan. Our eye surgeon is one of the top ones in the country . He chose Dothan instead of NYC because of its size. He is originally from California and swears by a couple of the Mexican and Thai restaurants. Just info that the town has come a VERY long way from only having a Dairy Queen that was our pit stop between Atlanta and the beaches at Destin and PC. back years ago.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,849 times
Default Dothan

Hi and welcome to the Wiregrass! There are many rural areas commutable to Dothan. One thing you may want to consider are the tax implications.

FL has no state income tax, while AL has 4-5% depending on income. Not sure about GA, but you would want to check it out. FL has high property taxes and home insurance.

If you are looking for homes in and around the Dothan area, You can check out my website.I am a former military pilot that now does Real Estate in the local area.

www.movingtodothan.com

Thanks.

Kevin Luby - Realtor
James Bowman Realty, Inc.
334-655-7091
kevin@movingtodothan.com

Last edited by KevinLuby; 03-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: HTML code was incorrect

Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 AM

25 posts, read 51,926 times
before moving to other area things you would keep in mind is, what the cost of living, public transportation, food and restaurants, crime rate and last but least weather.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM

112 posts, read 149,754 times
always liked "circle city" Ten-FOUR

but I would look into commuting from the FL st line...no inc tax..no tax on food

Old 09-11-2014, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
Slocomb ,Alabama is about ten miles south of Dothan ,Alabama . It is the home of Harri Ann Smith, It has no flooding issues, Its has its on health clinic. It is a growing city . It is home of the Slocomb tomatoes. Housing is good, crime low and the quality of life is good.It has several new grocery sores, Walmart will soon be building a New store their. It is a quiet place. lot of different church group . plenty of outdoors and the home construction their is booming. Visit Slocomb Alabama to see what it is all about. Its a good place to retire , I would say it has a low cost of living compare to the much larger population of Dothan.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 6,594 times
Default possible quick moe to Dothan area

I know this is an old thread but thought I would try.
I may be moving quickly to the Dothan area for a new job in the next month.
Will need to find a place to rent very quickly. I prefer to find a roommate
situation. If not that, then a studio apartment. It's just me and I don't need
a ton of space.
Any ideas on how to look for anything. I am currently in North Carolina so looking online
is all I can do at the moment.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 AM

1,900 posts, read 514,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl307 View Post
I know this is an old thread but thought I would try.
I may be moving quickly to the Dothan area for a new job in the next month.
Will need to find a place to rent very quickly. I prefer to find a roommate
situation. If not that, then a studio apartment. It's just me and I don't need
a ton of space.
Any ideas on how to look for anything. I am currently in North Carolina so looking online
is all I can do at the moment.
If you are looking for a apartment recommendation, I can say that Highland Hills wasn't bad when we lived there. We were there for a year while our home was being built. A lot of hotels here have extended stay type of deals. Residence Inn by Marriott Dothan would be my choice if I was looking to go that route. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama