Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Bham doesn't really count as N Alabama, but there are a few places that have a white sauce here.
Personally my fave tends to be more vinegar-based sauces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckessee View Post
Thanks yall, I've made my own (sans cayenne and horseradish) and it is easy and delicious on chicken. I was just wondering bout some smaller places that I might could try when I'm down there. I'm in very southern Kentucky, so it's bout 2 hours from here to the Alabama line down 65 and I've been travelling through "white sauce alley" bout every 2 weeks on my way to B-ham. Nearest place to me that serves it is in Nashville, bout 45 min away, but I'd rather experience something from the source if im a be down there anyways.
I live near Nashville and haven't found it anywhere in the area. Martin's BBQ in Nolensville has white sauce on their menu but it is pink and doesn't taste like any white sauce I've ever eaten. You can't even buy it at the grocery store here. We stock up when we go to Huntville to visit my son and his family.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM

118 posts, read 251,006 times
Yeah I said I went THROUGH North Alabama on my way to B-ham, once you get over Red Mountain you're leaving the bottom of the Midsouth and almost in the true deep south, IMO. I love the Decatur area especially, and not too different from where I'm at in Kentucky; red clay, southern species of oak and scattered yellow pines among other hardwoods. Hog Heaven BBQ in Nashville, right next to centennial park, has white sauce. Newk' s in B-ham has the Newk' s Q sandwich with white sauce, and now there's a Newk' s in Cool Springs TN.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I second the Newk's Que sandwich. It's very good and a great place to start for someone who wants to try out white sauce.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
Quote:
Yeah I said I went THROUGH North Alabama on my way to B-ham, once you get over Red Mountain you're leaving the bottom of the Midsouth and almost in the true deep south, IMO. I love the Decatur area especially, and not too different from where I'm at in Kentucky; red clay, southern species of oak and scattered yellow pines among other hardwoods. Hog Heaven BBQ in Nashville, right next to centennial park, has white sauce. Newk' s in B-ham has the Newk' s Q sandwich with white sauce, and now there's a Newk' s in Cool Springs TN.
Thanks for the information! We will try Hog Heaven. We are originally from Athens, just north of Decatur. It is a nice area, but we love the hills of Tennessee and Kentucky.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM

118 posts, read 251,006 times
And I just found Jimmy D' s here in BG Kentucky makes a white sauce for their chicken.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
You will also find 'white sauce' in many local b-b-q restaurants in the Birmingham Metro. Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights is one of the long established purveyors of this. (just behind the Summit)
I believe in this area it was evolved from some of the Greek places as they have historically owned most of the b-b-q places.

It's good on many things, but at Myra's the smokiness of the chicken makes it work just right.

raj

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:

re: your geography

Most people who live here don't even realize that the Cumberland Plateau ends at Oak Mountain on the southern skirts of the city and when you cross the mountain you are on the Piedmont Plateau until you reach the Coosa River. The Cumberland references in Nashville are to the river as the city is in its basin and not on the plateau.
The deep south is truly an old term and justly refers to the coastal plains. (in Alabama that runs up to Montgomery) The areas widely populated in the nineteenth century.

My tidbit for today.

Best,
raj

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
...The deep south is truly an old term and justly refers to the coastal plains...
Hmm...I have to disagree with that definition of "Deep South" as all of Alabama is considered to be within the "Deep South."

Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM

230 posts, read 388,227 times
I have yet to try a bad white sauce, but my favorite so far is at Greenbrier (the "new/original" location). It's at Greenbrier Road exit of 565, just a couple of miles east of 65.

If y'all haven't tried it on a baked potato yet, do give it a shot. Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama