Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, I 'm looking into relocating to Opp and am wondering how life is like there? I noticied city-data and wiki consider it a "city" or is it more of a town? Is the place a nice are to live? I saw they had a african-american church too is there many african-americans there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,712,992 times
You should do some "Opp-position" research.

Opp, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,189 times
I already read that, I'm looking to hear from someone who lives or lived there.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM

13,375 posts, read 7,685,557 times
Never lived in Opp, but it's a fairly typical South Alabama small town. The population is around 7,000, so I don't know if you would consider that a "city" or a "town".

You will have to go to Andalusia for your nearest Wal Mart.

There is a black community in Opp, though it is not as large as in some other comparable nearby cities such as Andalusia, Brewton, and Elba.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,052,981 times
I don't live in Opp either and not sure we have anyone on our board that does live there however, I can tell you that in AL if you have a population of 7K you are considered a city.

I live in NE AL in city of 8K. We do have a WalMart and a hospital. In AL more than likely you are going to find that most people will invite you to their church. Just say 'Thank you' and go on your way. It can be hard to meet people if you don't go to church or become involved in the community.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,197 times
Im from Andalusia (right next door). Opp used to be a sizeable place until a few years back they put in the bypass around. There really isn't much there now. Few mom and pop diners and a couple car lots. Most people living there would come to Andalusia to do there shopping or for more of a selection ,such as for a night out, most would go to Enterprise or Fort Rucker. The racial make-up there isn't much different then it would be for surrounding areas. I always like to use a trip to Wal-Marts as a litmus test so to speak. I would say white to black 3:1 in Andalusia and perhaps 2:1 in Opp. Oh and the biggest event of the year there is the Rattlesnake Rodeo.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 AM

35 posts, read 58,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcleland29 View Post
I'm from Andalusia (right next door). Opp used to be a sizable place until a few years back they put in the bypass around. There really isn't much there now. Few mom and pop diners and a couple car lots. Most people living there would come to Andalusia to do their shopping or for more of a selection, such as for a night out, most would go to Enterprise or Fort Rucker. The racial make-up there isn't much different then it would be for surrounding areas. I always like to use a trip to Wal-Marts as a litmus test so to speak. I would say white to black 3:1 in Andalusia and perhaps 2:1 in Opp. Oh and the biggest event of the year there is the Rattlesnake Rodeo.

I live in a different town but still next door to Opp (and LOVE it here) and can agree that there is a lot of truth in that statement. If you don't mind saying, why are you wanting to move to Opp (or that area) and what are you hoping to find? Maybe your answer would help us do a better job of helping you.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:25 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,862,197 times
Hello all,
I see this is an old thread but rather than start a new one I though I'd reply here.

I am considering this house:
506 11th St in Opp.

I'm not local to there, (am in NC but go back to VA often also where my legal residence still is) so anyone who can tell me if it's in a nice, safe section? It seems to be via Google street view.
Many thanks!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 15,247 times
Want to retire in alabama. Know nothing about it. Opp came up on city data. Can anyone tell me what it is like and if there is shopping,Dr's, and hospital close to there.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,199,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Hello all,
I see this is an old thread but rather than start a new one I though I'd reply here.

I am considering this house:
506 11th St in Opp.

I'm not local to there, (am in NC but go back to VA often also where my legal residence still is) so anyone who can tell me if it's in a nice, safe section? It seems to be via Google street view.
Many thanks!
There are more than a few homes in Opp priced in that range. I would suggest contacting a Realtor and having then show this this property and comparable properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama