Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:23 PM

111 posts, read 598,795 times

Advertisements

I went to UNA in 1995 and my wife and I fell in love with Florence. Now fed up with taxes and real estate prices here in Tampa, we are looking for a new place to live...anyone live or lived in Florence?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 86,005 times
Default Florence Native

Just joined this forum and saw your post. I was raised and currently live in Florence, if you are still interested in info.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,820 times
Smile From Florence to Sarasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
I went to UNA in 1995 and my wife and I fell in love with Florence. Now fed up with taxes and real estate prices here in Tampa, we are looking for a new place to live...anyone live or lived in Florence?
thanks
I grew up in Huntsville, lived in Florence for 5 years, graduated from UNA also (1989), lived in Tuscaloosa, followed by Sarasota and Sebring Florida and now I'm back in Tuscaloosa. I know Tampa well and Florence well.

My wife was born in Florence and grew up there. It is great and affordable but after living in Tampa you might prefer a larger size town like Huntsville. Not to be critical of Florence because it is a great place to live and raise a family but there is no comparison when it comes to the overall quality of life available to you in Huntsville.

Read pages 7-9 of this: [URL="http://www.ci"]www.ci[/URL].huntsville.al.us/news/Huntsville_Community_Information.pdf.

Sarasota is the 6th wealthiest market in the U.S. According one of the government market rankings of metro areas, Sarasota scores a 107, H'ville a 106. This may be an old stat but 43% of the people who hold a PHD in Alabama, live in the H'ville market.

Tuscaloosa is very similar to Florence. I would recommend it as another option to look at. You have several pluses for Tuscaloosa – easier access to the interstate system and to Birmingham if you travel. But on the flip side you can currently get more home in Florence and north Alabama than in the central part of the state. I don't know if you have a young family, not sure what you are looking for, etc. but I hope this helps. And please don't let my comments destroy the possibility of relocating back to the "city of flowers" - I could live there again too.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,554 times
Default Returned to Florence to Retire

My wife and I lived in Florence from 1967 until 1971 while I was on the faculty at Florence Stat University (now UNA) and our first child was born here. We moved away when I left the academic world and moved to industry.

After 36 years in Ohio (with the company I joined when I left teaching), it was time to retire. We drew up a matrix of seven different cities: (1) Nashville, TN, (2) Jackson, TN, (3) Oxford, MS, (4) Memphis, TN, (5) Tippah County, MS (wife's home), (6) Dyersburg, TN (my home), & (7) Hattiesburg, MS.

We visited all the cities but Hattiesburg --- it was too far south. When we compared the cost of living, cost of housing, tax structures, available recreation, and general entertainment --- it came down to Florence. We can live here and within 2-3 hours be in Memphis, Nashville, and Birmingham. Go to those places and enjoy their offerings, then return to Florence. There is no use living in such expensive, crowded places when you can go there & return to a more tranquil life.

This may not suit everyone's taste, but it offers so much for what you have to spend. We are not originally from here, and have lived in other areas of the country (short term assignments & in our younger years), and this is a tough place to beat.

Last edited by 1tightwad; 03-27-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,545 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a community. The economy here is flat. Many businesses have folded. We have strip after strip malls empty. The majority of our educated youth have made a mass exodus. The area is not youth friendly and the city has made a effort to turn the area into a retirement haven. There are several golf courses but nothing unique and golf courses are a dime a dozen these days. If you can afford to have a home on the river it is a great diversion but it is difficult to enjoy(the river) living elsewhere. The schools are a mess. It is relatively safe however there has been an increase in burglaries in recent years city wide. And keep in mind there are no good stores in the area, a serious shopping trip is approx 3 hours in either direction. It is true, you can get more house for your money(not to say home prices are cheap) but you better enjoy staying at home because there is absolutely nothing to do in this area except eat at one of many steakhouses or small Mexican chains. I do not know what you do for a living but finding a job in this area will be a challenge. If you are young I would try somewhere with a younger population and that has some job opportunites. I would suggest finding a place that is resourceful or some forms of entertainment available. Good Luck in your search!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM

19 posts, read 88,763 times
Default Florence is a GREAT place to live

I grew up in Birmingham then married. My husband was in the military for 21 years and we lived all over the world. From Tanner, AL to Yuma, AZ to Okinawa, Japan. Where did we choose to settle? In Rogersville, AL!!!

We LOVE this area because we're close to everything Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, Tuscumbia, FLORENCE, Athens, & Huntsville has to offer! You said you love it, so I know you don't have to be sold on the positives of living here.

After working and serving people in this community for years here as a church secretary, I now serve them as a real estate agent! Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 04-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Changed text

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM

19 posts, read 88,763 times
OOPS! Sorry folks! I'm new at this!

Peace & JOY!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 14,743 times
Small world. Stumbled across this blog tonight. I've lived in Montreal, Canada, west TX, Athens, Al and am now in Rogersville, AL. After working for years in Madison and Huntsville and living in Athens, when I opened a small business there, my husband decided he was tired of commuting to Muscle Shoals every day. So, we sold our house, bought one in Rogersville, and we love it here.

While I don't know much about Florence, according to my husband, there's not as much growth or opportunity there as you would find in Huntsville or even Athens.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Carol

Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM

19 posts, read 58,355 times
There's an article about a beautiful garden in Florence in this month's Suothern Living magazine. If anyone catches it, tell me; does much of this area look like this? Wow if it does!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM

384 posts, read 1,580,818 times
I haven't lived there, but my mother's uncle was president of the university there decades ago and there are still relatives in the area, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.
Basically, I'd recommend the greater Florence area mostly as a place to retire.

If you're looking for a safe, affordable, small city with some attractive natural scenery, it provides that.

I think you'd find a whole lot more economic opportunities in Huntsville (or even Tuscaloosa), though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama