U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM

13,556 posts, read 22,886,152 times

Advertisements

yes, they taste like normal watermellon.They probably have them at Publix since they sell them in FL..

I have to say I never tried anyone else's hogs head cheese but the one my MIL made, but it was good. But then I didn't know what it was called when I first tasted it.

Post link not copyrighted material

Last edited by Keeper; 03-25-2008 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

896 posts, read 1,614,981 times
Wink yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have always heard it called "souse" around here. It looks nasty, so I've never had a desire to touch the stuff.
Thats what we call it too.
souse with crackers and cheese.
I grew up on it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM

116 posts, read 343,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
If you take a trip to the blackbelt you get the real soulfood like; crawfish,hog mald, pig feet,chitilins,mustard greens , turnip greens, collard greens,butter beans, black eye peas, field beans,chicken and dumplings, gumbo,catfish,whiting fish etc.... My mom restarunt was visited by a cnn crew and oprah film crew and said it was the best food they ever ate.
I ate this food all of my life but we didn't call it soul food. We didn't call it anything special, except maybe dinner or supper. That type of cuisine wasn't the singular domain of blacks in the area (Southcentral Alabama), everyone ate it, regardless of ethnicity, except maybe some of the city folks and out-of-towners. At my house, we had usually planted and harvested or raised what was on the table.

Quote:
I have always heard it called "souse" around here. It looks nasty, so I've never had a desire to touch the stuff.
We called it by both names.
My father convinced me to eat it when I was very young and when I got older and found out what it really was, he couldn't pay me to touch it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM

8,996 posts, read 16,284,983 times
I remember as a kid when my grandma used to fry corn in a cast-iron skillet. It was white and it wasn't sweet like the corn most people know today. What do you call that, unsweet corn? I have looked for it and cannot find it.

I also remember my grandma driving to Clanton every year to buy a big crate of peaches. She lives in Huxford so it was over a two hour drive one way. She doesn't drive as much anymore, but she sure used to look forward to that trip every year.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

5,015 posts, read 10,803,839 times
Quote:
I remember as a kid when my grandma used to fry corn in a cast-iron skillet. It was white and it wasn't sweet like the corn most people know today. What do you call that, unsweet corn? I have looked for it and cannot find it. I also remember my grandma driving to Clanton every year to buy a big crate of peaches. She lives in Huxford so it was over a two hour drive one way. She doesn't drive as much anymore, but she sure used to look forward to that trip every year.
Souse....gross!! Give me potted meat and crackers any day...
I don't know what that corn was, but I got corn one day at the Farmers Market...cleaned it, boiled it and found it was the toughest, most unsweet corn I'd ever had. My mother said, "Oh, you got feed corn." It's raised for the farm animals...you can eat it, but you have to boil it a couple of hours!
Mmmm...peaches. We have peaches in neighboring Limestone County, but it's hard to beat those Clanton peaches...I always laugh at the big water tower when we get to Clanton...looks like a giant rear-end in the sky!
Maybe you should take granny on a drive to get peaches this summer...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM

My MIL made 'fried corn'. You buy 'white or white/yellow' corn. Cut it off the cob, then scrap the cob with the knife. It makes a kind of juicey pulp. Put the cut corn and pulp in an iron skillet (or any skillet) with butter over medium heat. Cook for a about 5 mins stiring, turn heat down to low, pour enough milk to just cover the corn. Let it cook without a cover until all the milk is just about gone. Salt and pepper.. Viola.. fried corn

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM

8,996 posts, read 16,284,983 times
Hmm, I'm thinking my grandma used to cook it in bacon drippings or something.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM

You know, I was thinking about that last night. I think my MIL did use bacon drippings.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM

5,015 posts, read 10,803,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
... Viola.. fried corn
AKA "creamed corn?"
My mom didn't make fried corn...she grew up in the mountains of North Carolina ... it was more profitable to make moonshine out of corn (I'm not kidding!)
A local favorite meat 'n three serves "fried corn" and it sure looks like creamed corn to me.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

It is very similar, except the way I have had it, there isn't as much liquid.

So you have the recipe for moonshine? LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama