U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 42,920 times

Advertisements

We're coming from Dothan, AL. DH currently is in UA's distance program, but it's going to take forever for him to finish school that way. Considering buying small plot of raw land in commuting distance, a used mobile home already in a park, or if we get lucky, a solitary lot with older mobile home. Our budget is about $15k.

So, jobs...DH is technically in his senior year for mechanical engineering. Currently works as CNC programmer/operator. He can draft and is a damn good math tutor (at the college level) as well. What kind of jobs might be available to him in the area? Will he have a tough time finding something? Any employer will have to be willing to schedule around his classes. He prefers to work PT over FT, while in school.

And "neighborhoods"...we're up for almost anything. We're willing to commute if it means cheap land and no restrictions (we're homesteaders) but also willing to try a trailer park (as long as we can have our pets and clothesline!). Even open to rooming with another couple/family, if such a situation presented itself. If we're "in town," it'd be cool to be close to activities like parks, museum, etc. and possibly be able to bike to campus/grocery store/etc. If "in the country," we'd like a good deal of privacy, and a location where traffic isn't horrible around game time.

TIA!

ETA:
We have an almost 2 yo and will probably have another baby next year. I know Tuscaloosa is a college town, but what is there for kids? We liked to get out and play with other kids Are they going to be hard to find? Haha.
Also, we're going to be living in the area for about 2 years, maybe longer if he decides to get his Master's there.

Last edited by RadicalRay; 10-25-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Anybody? I found 10 acres in Holt (about 15 mins from Tuscaloosa) in our budget. Any advice on Holt?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,943,673 times
There are very few people on this board from Tuscaloosa or area, and frankly most of us are former UA students and don't know a lot about "out in the county."
Once you get away from town, the 'country" can be quite isolated. Lots of tree farms and, especially Holt and north of T-town, coal mining.
Northport is where you want to be for the public schools. Tuscaloosa - lots and lots of people prefer private schools.
I know there are trailer parks out there but, unlike Auburn, few students live there.
I would highly suggest an in-person visit for about a week so you can talk to some people, ride around and get a feel for the area, maybe talk to a real estate agent.
As for part-time jobs in CNC, there are a number of manufacturers there. His professors might even have a lead on some part-time work or co-oping opportunities.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Thanks! From the lack of replies I assumed not many members here are from the area. We found a mobile home ready lot for sale on the west side of town, but it seems I remember someone saying to avoid that area. Looks like it may be a bit run down, is there anything else over there to avoid? Looks like we'd have to take 43/11 to get into town. Is that a hwy with bad traffic on game weekends?
We are going to take a week to visit soon, just want an idea of where to look around

Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalRay View Post
Thanks! From the lack of replies I assumed not many members here are from the area. We found a mobile home ready lot for sale on the west side of town, but it seems I remember someone saying to avoid that area. Looks like it may be a bit run down, is there anything else over there to avoid? Looks like we'd have to take 43/11 to get into town. Is that a hwy with bad traffic on game weekends?
We are going to take a week to visit soon, just want an idea of where to look around
West side of town, out toward Eutaw...but the town part, at least, is pretty bad. That's also a heavy industrial side, plus the airport's in that vicinity.
Gameday traffic is not bad anywhere except close to UA and before and after a game; however, I don't know what happens when Spelman College has a game.
I'd go on out...Moundville's not bad. Don't know about east of town. There's a LOT of forest...as well as big big big empty fields.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,329,945 times
I lived in Tuscaloosa for almost 5 years in various locations. Holt is a bit rough around the edges but very doable depending on your taste and activities. It is close to the university so that may be a plus for you. Lots of families there, too. I don't know about daycare in the area but there is Methodist church not too far away that was really good. There is more diversity in that area but not a lot of dining options. There is a Sonic's, McDonald's, and Wendy's not far away. As you get closer to the university there is Newk's and Arby's as well as the plethora of restaurants located just off campus. DCH is nearby but the traffic isn't so bad. I do know that there is a trailer park in Holt. I took my daughter to a friend's home there many times and the area seemed safe to me. There is a Public's not too far from there so again, easy access to grocery shopping.

I loved living in Northport but it is a bit disconnected from the rest of the area. There were many grocery stores and restaurants in the area. Plenty banking opportunities. The schools are somewhat better but I would take Northridge High over County High any day. Woodland Forrest in the city's school district is well ahead of Matthew's in the county's system IMO. Holt Elementary is a solid school but I don't know what has happened to them since that big tornado a couple year's back.

My info is circa '09 so many things could have changed since then. If you want more info please feel free to PM me. I'll gladly help.

Btw, Spelman is in Atlanta. Stillman is in Tuscaloosa.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Btw, Spelman is in Atlanta. Stillman is in Tuscaloosa.
I apologize. Thank you for the correction!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks CMichele, we don't eat out much and plan to homeschool, so schools and dining aren't an issue. We're taking our trip up there next month and have several houses all over the place lined up to look at. What is DCH? Probably a dumb question

Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 AM

I've heard mixed things about Holt, but the house that we are most interested in is in Holt (on Alabama Ave NE, to be precise). From Google satellite, the area doesn't look terrible. Anyone have an idea of that area? What is it about Holt that is
"rough?"

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,802,443 times
DCH is Druid City Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or