Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 27,242 times

Advertisements

Howdy. I'm 18 years old and currently live in CT. I've always wanted to live down South simply because I love the culture and weather. All I want is a simple life, and to accompany that I would love to live in a small, simple town. A peaceful (but fun) town with small businesses where everyone knows everyone else. I love swimming so being somewhat close to water would definitely be a plus, however it wouldn't make or break any decisions. Other major interests of mine are: fairs, rodeos, going for walks, riding horses and atv's, and meeting new people. I've read other threads and a lot of people suggest Arab, AL, and it does sound like a beautiful place, however I don't know if I could deal with the tornadoes. Do tornadoes occur often in all of Alabama? I've never visited so I'm clueless. This spring/summer me and a friend of mine are going to spend a month driving through the South just to explore. Any suggestions on places/ things we should check out? And lastly, how much does it cost a month to rent an apartment? It doesn't need to be anything fancy. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Tornadoes are mostly in north Alabama, but they can happen all over the state. The tornado that hit the high school in Enterprise is an example. Apartments can range anywhere from $350 for a crappy one, to over $700 for a really nice one.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Fairhope Alabama !!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Sounds like much of rural Alabama would fit what valx18 likes...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I agree but be warned most 'small' towns don't have a lot for a young person to do, you have to go into a city to go to movies or malls.

The kids around here meet at WalMart or Foodland for a fun time on a Sat. night

Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Abita Springs, St. Tammany Parish, New Orleans North+

Abita Springs in Louisiana is nice.

It's still a small country town and not for from everything else you're looking for.

busta

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,639 times
Scottsboro, Alabama is really pretty and a nice place to live. It's on the Tennessee River and at the foothills of the mountains. You can drive to Huntsville, AL or Chattanooga, TN in ~ 40 minutes.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Smiths Station, located between Auburn/Opelika and Columbus.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM

257 posts, read 609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valx18 View Post
Howdy. I'm 18 years old and currently live in CT. I've always wanted to live down South simply because I love the culture and weather. All I want is a simple life, and to accompany that I would love to live in a small, simple town. A peaceful (but fun) town with small businesses where everyone knows everyone else. I love swimming so being somewhat close to water would definitely be a plus, however it wouldn't make or break any decisions. Other major interests of mine are: fairs, rodeos, going for walks, riding horses and atv's, and meeting new people. I've read other threads and a lot of people suggest Arab, AL, and it does sound like a beautiful place, however I don't know if I could deal with the tornadoes. Do tornadoes occur often in all of Alabama? I've never visited so I'm clueless. This spring/summer me and a friend of mine are going to spend a month driving through the South just to explore. Any suggestions on places/ things we should check out? And lastly, how much does it cost a month to rent an apartment? It doesn't need to be anything fancy. Thanks so much!!
What town are you coming from in Connecticut? I am 17 and have visited Alabama and absolutely loved it. I would like to live their some day. I found Fort Payne, AL to be a beautiful town situated in farmland/hills. I was there in April and actually was evacuated from a campground down there due to a tornado out break. But I would not let that stop me from moving there.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM

469 posts, read 1,174,926 times
Enterprise is a really nice town with a diverse population from all over the country and a higher standard of living than most of Alabama, both due to the proximity of Ft. Rucker. We did have a really big tornado go right through town in 2007, but they are very very rare. The apartment rates mentioned above are about right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama