Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
If you consider a $10 an hour job a big deal, then you will be happy in Alabama.
Oh, I forgot............all jobs in Alabama pay $10 bucks or less per hour.....it's a state law!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times
The median income in my Tuscaloosa zip code is $53,638:
Moderator cut: link removed

If we're doing that on $10/hour, we must be working an awful lot of
hours

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
Oh, I forgot............all jobs in Alabama pay $10 bucks or less per hour.....it's a state law!

Time to move :>)

Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,744 times
are the people of alabama and tuscaloosa inviting since i wont no a soul and would be coming by alone... im very personable ...

Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
are the people of alabama and tuscaloosa inviting since i wont no a soul and would be coming by alone... im very personable ...
Yes, very............I doubt you will meet a stranger! If you do ..........run away fast! You are about to be mugged and steer clear of whatever neighborhood you have wandered into!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,744 times
what typically is the weather like..... wARM all the time???? AND how hard would it be to get season football tickets..... and what about jobs do u guys have cell phone companies in the area/??

Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
what typically is the weather like..... wARM all the time???? AND how hard would it be to get season football tickets..... and what about jobs do u guys have cell phone companies in the area/??
Weather is generally very mild in winter, with an occasional dusting of snow that melts quickly. Hot...HOT...and humid in the late spring, summer and most of the fall. Season football tickets - if you're a student, you buy them online, and buy as early as possible because there are not enough for everybody. Cell phone companies...what college girl or guy could live without a cell phone? Of course there are cell phone companies. Jobs...check the Tuscaloosa News online, also jobs available through the university.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Quote:
You will get along fine. Igraduated in 1978 and had roommates from Chicago and Youngstown Ohio and they fit in just fine...just be yourself and everything else will take care of itself...get involved in campus activities and before you know it, you will know plenty of people....

The weather today is 65 degrees and sunny.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
There is PLENTY of diversity and things to do....much more than football.
Diverse where? I'm in grad school at the University of Pennsylvania and it's more diverse than Alabama. And different cultures actually interact, not just coexist.

Auburn is the more academically inclined state school. Alabama will accept anyone with a pulse.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Diverse where? I'm in grad school at the University of Pennsylvania and it's more diverse than Alabama. And different cultures actually interact, not just coexist.

Auburn is the more academically inclined state school. Alabama will accept anyone with a pulse.
I guess I am just speaking from my own experiences at the University of Alabama THIRTY years ago.

Here's is what it was like then for me:

The first day on campus there were Vietnam War Protests and Gay Rights protests going on. In 1969, there were such bad anti-war protests that the student were put on curfew.

I was in an all-white fraternity and had a blast. Also had many black friends whom I still see from time to time today. I was deeply involved in the political election of the first black President of the SGA - Cleo Thomas, who went on to Harvard Law School.

I had roomates from Chicago and Youngstown Ohio and dated a girl from Australia. I had a finance professor from Iran and a Calculus teacher from Germany.

I served on the University Program Council - which was the organization that put on student entertainment. We had the following groups in Tuscaloosa:

1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Janice Joplin
3) Stevie Wonder and the Rolling Stones (same bill)
4) The Allman Brothers
5) Jethro Tull
6) Traffic
7) Elton John (I got to meet him at private party)
8) Billy Joel (same as with Elton, met him)
9) Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks had their last concert as a twosome before joining Fleetwood Mac.
10) Phoebe Snow
11) Elvis Presley
12) Jackson Browne
13) Pure Prarie League
14) Jerry Jeff Walker
15) Bonnie Raitt
16) Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
17) John Prine
18 ) Todd Rungren

Then we had a special Black Music event series which included:

1) Commodores
2) Earth, Wind and Fire
3) Average White Band
4) Marvin Gaye

Then from all the money we made off those concerts whe had a Cultural Series which included:

1) The Leningrad Symphony Orchestra from the Soviet Union
2) The Chinese Acrobats traveling troupe from the Republic of China
3) Truman Capote came and read short stories. If you have seen the film Truman, starring Phillip Seymore Hoffman, his portrayal was uncannily accurate. I spoke to Truman Capote in a small group of people for half an hour and he was facinating.
4) A JFK Assasination Conspiracy Theorist.

Tuscaloosa had a thriving bar scene and no closing law. You could stay up until dawn. The live music scene was extremely active.

When I went to work for IBM and was in training, I was with recent college graduates from all over the US. They were STUNNED about my college experience at the University of Alabama...all of the concerts I helped produce, meeting Elton John,Billy Joell and being back stage while the Rolling Stones and all these other groups played. Meeting Truman Capote in person.

I can tell you with absolute conviction that I had as rich a college experience as anyone....

Frankly I am so old now I cannot possibly remember everything. It was just so much....

And I get so SICK and TIRED of people like you who don't know what you are talking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama