Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM

393 posts, read 1,732,506 times

Advertisements

Trying to research all I can about areas we are interested in moving to. I know about the wet/moist/dry counties of AL, but saw somewhere that there's a limit to how much alcohol is in beer in AL. I will show my stupidity here, but ..... does that mean you can't buy imports or wine? We seldom drink, but when we do, that is what we prefer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 AM

410 posts, read 1,648,886 times
The alcohol limit only applies to beer and similar beverages. You can buy wine at most places you buy beer, and you can buy liquor at the ABC stores.

But yes, most imported, craft brew, microbrew and gourmet beers are illegal.

"BEER, or MALT OR BREWED BEVERAGES. Any beer, lager beer, ale, porter, malt or brewed beverage, or similar fermented malt liquor containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not in excess of five percent alcohol by weight and six percent by volume, by whatever name the same may be called."

Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,359,033 times
Some folks are organizaing a movement has just begun to change the law. I wasn't aware of Alabama's restrictions until just a few weeks ago, and I've lived here most of my life! However, I don't drink beer (gimme wine, bourbon, rum, vodka...)

Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM

763 posts, read 3,826,824 times
Whoa....hold on....

YES there is an alcohol limit on beer which indeed DOES limit SOME craft beers from being sold in the state.

But, just to give you and idea of what is sold here:

This is the beer menu from Dave's Pub on Birmingham's Southside:

[LEFT]Sweetwater Blue
Amstel Light
Newcastle
Yuengling
Woodchuck Cider
Bass
Killians Irish Red
Murphy’s Stout
Left Hand Milk Stout
Sweetwater 420
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Abita Restoration Ale
Guinness
Samuel Adams Winter Lager
Hoegaarden
Boddington’s
Bud Light
Stella Artois
Harp
Pilsner Urquell[/LEFT]
Lagers[LEFT]Corona
Corona Light
Bohemia
Dos Equis Lager
Amstel Light
Heineken
Old Peculiar
Moosehead
St. Pauli Girl
Yuengling Lagers

Becks
Kirin Lager
Sam Adams
Sam Adams Light
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Sam Adams Black Lager
Tanner's Jack
Labatt Blue
Molson Golden, Canadien, Ice
Redstripe
Birra Moretti
Staropramen
Harp

Lowenbrau
Peroni
Sapporo
Asahi
Anchor Steam
Jubel
Sol
Steinlager
Castle Lager
[/LEFT]
Ales[LEFT]Rogue Dead Guy
Newcastle
Liberty Ale
Pete's Wicked Ale

McEwan's IPA
Belhaven
Old Speckled Hen
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Pale Ale
Honey Brown
Bass
Bridgeport IPA
[/LEFT]
PilsnersRolling Rock
Coors Original
Coors light
Michelob Light
Michelob Ultra Amber
Michelob Ultra Budweiser
Bud light
Budweiser Select
Miller lite
Miller High Life Warsteiner Verum
Pilsner Urquell
Dinkel Acker PilsnerAmbers, Reds, Bocks Killians Irish Red
Dos Equis Amber John Courage
Amberbock Shinerbock WheatsSierra Nevada Wheat
FranziskanerTucher Kristall WeisenTucher HefeCiders & Flavored Smirnoff Ice
Bacardi Watermelon
Pete's Strawberry Blonde
Abita Turbo DogAbita Purple Haze
Woodchuck Amber
Woodchuck Granny Smith
Savannah DryMike's Hard Lemonade
Lindemans Framboise
Sweetwater Blue
Sea Dog Wild Blueberry

As to wine, the Birmingham area is loaded with fine wine establishments, selling everything from the finest French Bordeaux's to California wines and wines from Chile....there are no limits on wine at all and you will find every wine here that you would find in any state in the country.

Come here and VISIT and make up your mind....we keep telling people that repeatedly and I think it is sound advice no matter where you are considering relocating....you've got to go there and see it, feel it and (in this case) taste it before you will know what any place is really like....

Last edited by Keeper; 12-06-2007 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted material

Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Bravo, almost every one of those beers (and not all of them are beer) is either a pale lager or a British-style ale, and most are from Coors, Miller or Anheuser Busch. If that's all you care to drink, then there's no problem.

And of course many craft and import brews are in 500ml or 750ml bottles, which are larger than the allowable maximum 16 oz size. (Sorry, forgot about that the first post, Sunshine Girl.)

What's missing - 98% of this list:
Top 100 Beers - Beer Advocate (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php - broken link)

Personally, I'd pick anything by Young's over Coors Light any day, and none of the Young's beers made the top 100 list. Alas, they are illegal here. The bottles are too big.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 31,480 times
Fuel question ...
My name is Bart, i'm from Belgium. Because of my trip i planned next year(april) to the United States(to Talladega, NASCAR), i have a question. I'm gonna drive a rental car overthere, how much is the gas priced in Alabama? And, is it possible to drive a car with a diesel engine? I mean are there enough 'diesel stations' to get diesel... Thanx.B.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM

If you stay on the major highways, diesel is not problem. Many rural areas have good diesel coverage, too. You might have to pass up some gas station, but it really shouldn't be a problem.

Gas prices next year... who knows? It's going up like crazy. Right now regular unleaded is about $3.00 to $3.10 and diesel is about $3.40 - $3.50 per gallon.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM

763 posts, read 3,826,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
Bravo, almost every one of those beers (and not all of them are beer) is either a pale lager or a British-style ale, and most are from Coors, Miller or Anheuser Busch. If that's all you care to drink, then there's no problem.

And of course many craft and import brews are in 500ml or 750ml bottles, which are larger than the allowable maximum 16 oz size. (Sorry, forgot about that the first post, Sunshine Girl.)

What's missing - 98% of this list:
Top 100 Beers - Beer Advocate (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php - broken link)

Personally, I'd pick anything by Young's over Coors Light any day, and none of the Young's beers made the top 100 list. Alas, they are illegal here. The bottles are too big.
Nichole:

I am in favor of the legislation. I contacted Senator Steve French from my district and he is supportive of it.

I do understand the issue, but wanted the poster to understand that while there are indeed beers unavailable here that are available elsewhere, to think that the only beers you can buy in Alabama are Budweiser, Miller and Coors is very inaccurate....

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

47 posts, read 204,399 times
Bverelst

Diesel will not be a problem. Maybe shock that it costs more than gas, just the opposite of Europe. Most rental cars are automatics, difficult to find stick shifts so plan ahead accordingly.

Gas is running about $3 a gallon and up. Premium grades maybe 20 to 30 cents higher. Diesel a few cents more. That would be about 2 Euros to a gallon. Seems high to us but probably cheap to you.

Should you find a diesel rental car, almost all stations sell diesel especially near our Interstates (autobahns).

Come ahead and enjoy your visit while the Euro is so strong against the dollar.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 PM

884 posts, read 1,026,481 times
That beer law is completely stupid. Unless I'm missing something here, what is the reason for that law? Do they just tax the hell out of beer in AL and hope to increase revenues by lowering the alcohol so people buy more? If you want to control alcohol content wouldn't it make more sense to start with the highest alc percentages (liquors)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama