U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 AM

469 posts, read 2,612,520 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity for an internship in Montgomery, AL starting early next year. Housing would be provided (the place is located between Hayneville Road Park and Washington Park). I haven't been to Montgomery since I was a kid and have no memories of the city. What are some fun places to visit or good restaurants to eat at? Where do young people in their 20s hang out? What kind of fun outdoors activities can you find around Montgomery?

I've seen that the consensus on Montgomery on these forums isn't too great, but since this is for an internship I don't have a choice of location. I'm from Mississippi, so I'm used to Southern culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM

32 posts, read 158,109 times
Mississippienne,

I live in Montgomery, AL and I'm originally from Mississippi (Batesville, MS). I'm an Ole Miss grad--did you go to college in Mississippi, if so where?

I've been here (for the second time) since 2003. Montgomery has a lot to offer, it's a very historic city and referred too as the "cradle of the confederacy" and "birthplace of the civil rights movement". Even though I've been here a few years, I'm not familiar with the location you're speaking of, but it sounds like it's in the heart of Montgomery. Montgomery has crime problems just like any other city and it seems many of those crimes occur on the West side. Because of those problems or "percieved" problems, most folks live in East Montgomery, there are some nice apartments as well as homes for sale/rent in that area, plus, East Montgomery is where all the growth is taking place. However, the downtown area near the river is up and coming---great lofts to be had and with a new hotel and convention center on the way, it's going to be nice down there, but East Montgomery offers great places to shop, with malls and major retailers.

As for things to do for someone in their 20's, there are a number of good restaurants here, you can get white linen tablecloths or blue plate specials. For the bar scene I would suggest: La Jolla, Nobles, Mission House, but there are others so I would suggest checking them out to get a feel for what you like--there are a number of great venues for live music as well.
For a great dining experience I would suggest the Olive Room, Vintage Year and Garrett's, they are some of my favorites---they can be pricey (dinner for 2 can cost near $100 bucks). You also have a number of Chili's, Applebee's and Bonefish and other restaruants like that to choose from.

Things to do in the city: Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts and the Alabama Shakspeare Festival---great places to visit for art and to see plays. The Rosa Parks Musuem is downtown and it's excellent. I don't get to do as much outdoor stuff as I would like, but there's great golf courses here and sports such as football is huge here. Bottom line, I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

All in all, I've enjoyed Montgomery and what it has to offer. I'm in the military and that's what brought me here, and after living in 5 different places, I've come to the conclusion that it's what you make it. So, come and judge for yourself.

I listed a few websites that may help you out as well with info about the city...

Take Care,
http://www.montgomeryal.gov/

http://www.visitingmontgomery.com/

http://www.montgomerychamber.com/
http://www.montgomeryliving.com/home/default.asp (broken link)

Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 AM

116 posts, read 485,896 times
That part of town is very rough, to say the least. Don't bring anything you can't part with, crime is bad in that part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama