Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,662 times

Advertisements

After 20 years and wonderful careers, it is time to "come home" to Alabama.The only questions is WHERE!!!

(Spent the first 22 years trying to get out of the area and the last 25 trying to get back!)
I grew up in northeast alabama (Glencoe), but want to relocate and semi-retire in an area that offers a bit more. We are in our mid and late 50's enjoy theatre, fine dining, sports, travel a bit. Prefer single family home, wouldn't mind a small (1/2 - 1 acre) bit of land . .

Spent a couple of months in Birmingham - too congested (city appears to have outgrown it's infrastructure), but wouldn't mind being within decent drive-in distance . . .Huntsville/Madison is out because the area is too "techy" feely - not a true southern town (besides, what real southerner can forget they were northern sympathizers during the War of Northern Agression?)

So - where's the best place in NE Alabama to retire and Why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM

136 posts, read 594,563 times
Take a look at Gadsden. My fiancee's family is from there and we visit often. Seems like a great place to live. Big enough to have a mall but small enough to not have any traffic!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times
I think Ft. Payne would be a great area, or any place between there and the Georgia border up on I-59.

If you want to be closer in, take a good look at either Trussville or Pell City. Pell City has the advantage of being on the water.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,360,713 times
cpg is right...take another look at NE Alabama. You would be an easy drive to Chattanooga and a little farther to Atlanta. Or you could try the Guntersville area, which is quite close to Huntsville. Another thought would be Tuscaloosa County, which is rural but still an easy drive to Birmingham and some of the finest dining in the U.S. Or Oxford, near Anniston. I suggest you make an extended visit to Alabama and take a closer, more leisurely look at several areas. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 46,133 times
Default Where to Retire in NE Alabama

Dear Flyboy,

I work at the Gadsden Chamber of Commerce. I had been gone for 15 years and recently returned home because my parents got sick and I adopted 2 young children that lost their mother. I thought I would not be happy here, but now I cannot imaging living anywhere else. I use to travel a lot due to my job and have lived in New York, Orlando, and Nashville because of my job. Gadsden, AL has changed over the years and changed for the better. There are year round activities to keep you busy and then you are only a short drive to bigger cities, but do not have to live in the big city and put up with the headache of traffic. There are so many festivals to attend now. We have the Gadsden Cultural Arts with all kinds of different exhibits year round. You can live in the city or in the country. I can take my doom buggy out and ride on my 8 acres. I forgot how much I missed living in the country and it made me remember my happy childhood here. The cost of living is so much cheaper. I can eat at some of the same restaurants that Nashville has. I love that the traffic is not too congested that my 70 year old parents and 87 year old aunt does not have any problem driving around town. We have qualified doctors. One of my parents doctors was President Reagan's doctor when he was at the Naval Hospital. We have the Robert Trent and Silver Lakes Golf Courses. People are friendly here and will help you on the side of the road if you have car trouble. I do not even lock our vehicles at night or sometimes the house. I forgot what is was like to be in a safe place. I hope you can be as happy as I am.

Moderator cut: Please use Direct Message to inform of specific information

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-03-2008 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 1,106,678 times
I'm sorry, I'm sure it's nice up there but why don't you live close to the water and where it is warm. Choose Fairhope, Alabama. My mom loves it so much.
Downside, it's not cheap to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama