U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 AM

10 posts, read 18,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Property taxes are low in Alabama, but keep in mind they are the primary source of funding for education in Alabama, as well as in 46 other states. Only Michigan, Texas, and New Jersey use alternate sources of funding for education. And really, if I'm not mistaken even Texas uses property taxes, it's just that their method is dramatically different from the other states that use property taxes.

In any case, remember this - you get what you pay for. Alabama has low property taxes and it's no coincidence the public school systems are rated equally low.

_
The idea that heavy taxation always improves public education is kinda nieve. I don't trust most folks in government to do much but squander it away. (ie Larry Langford)

The reason many (but not ALL) of our public schools are bad is because of a corrupt, overbloated state department of education that gives six-figure salaries to people who don't do jack ***** all day but read the newspaper and nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 AM

5,873 posts, read 8,063,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcheese View Post
The idea that heavy taxation always improves public education is kinda nieve. I don't trust most folks in government to do much but squander it away. (ie Larry Langford)

The reason many (but not ALL) of our public schools are bad is because of a corrupt, overbloated state department of education that gives six-figure salaries to people who don't do jack ***** all day but read the newspaper and nap.

Sounds like a bad hair day.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,450,585 times
--only Michigan,Texas,and New Jersey use alternative sources for funding--

I doubt that!
Are you trying to say that there is not a huge amount of state money that goes to education in nearly very state?
Here in Minnesota each school gets over $5,000 per student in state money. Yes we have high property taxes, but that is to bring additional money and to pay for buildings (the state also helps pay)

k-12 education is the biggest single expenditure of our states budget (I'll bet the same with most states)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
FL uses the lottery for education money, which led to the downfall of the education system in FL. When they voted in the lottery they said it would give additional money to education, instead they took away the money that was being used and left only the lottery money.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 AM

116 posts, read 345,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
In any case, remember this - you get what you pay for. Alabama has low property taxes and it's no coincidence the public school systems are rated equally low.
I send my children to a private school and am looking strongly into home schooling. I realize that I am spending more for private school here than I would in property taxes elsewhere, but I would not send my children to the vast majority of public schools in other states anyway.

Either way, I don't agree with the more money=better schools debate. Since this is not a political forum, I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 AM

339 posts, read 771,815 times
Having just left Florida - I found that the community and its parents has more impact on the quality of education than funds. When the parents that send their kids to school don't value education and fail to support their students success the school can only do so much. I can not count how many teachers that I have talked to that tell stories about parents that reject responsiblity for their children. When the focus of class is diverted every day from education to disaplin issues it is hard to make any progress. When parents fail to instill the value of education in their children - it is often too late by the time the exausted school staff get them. Think of the money that would be saved if parents spent more time reading to and with their children instead of letting the schools place the kids in reading remediation classes year after year?

The frustration felt by good teachers that cause them to leave teaching or move to a better area leaves a void that is often filled with less competent "teachers" who have no business teaching subject that they are ignorant of.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,957,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
Great question....I moved to San Antonio Texas after living in Birmingham most of my life and then moved back...

The ways that people are taxed in the two states are dramatically different.

In the metro areas of Texas: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin, you will pay an annual real estate tax(es) of 3% of the value of your home. I met many retirees, who had a home (paid for) worth $600,000 that they originally bought in the 1960's. Their problem was - in their retirement years - they were paying $18,000 per year just on the property taxes on a home that had no mortgage. This same home here in Alabama ( and I live in the community that has the highest property taxes in the state) - I pay $4000 per year.

That's $1000 per month difference.

Texas points with pride about having no state income tax. So if you indeed are someone who has a modest home ($500,000) yet have a very high income, ($1M), you will come out ahead living in Texas.

Other than that, Alabama's other high taxes such as sales, ad valorem (cars, boats) will not even come close to making up the $1000 per MONTH, I paid additionally in Texas in property taxes.

Personally, I am a believer in tax reform in Alabama. It is a bad state to live in, if you are poor, unemployed or underemployed. The relative tax burden on these individuals in Alabama is excessive.

On the other hand, if you are middle class or above, Alabama is a dream state to live in from a tax standpoint. #1 in the nation in lowest tax burden on the middle class.

If you are a two earner household, own property and have a reasonable income, Alabama (all things considered) is a great place to live.

If you are poor, and depend on the state for services - No.

Just being honest.
I completely agree with everything you said.

In PA, we pay to the Township, the County, AND the school system. The school system tax is brutal, 14.98 mills! We pay more to the school system than both the township and county combined.

To expound upon Bravo's post, the same 600K home in MontCo, PA would cost you $11944.74, with $8988 being solely the school system tax.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 28,906 times
I hope we haven't painted too bad a picture of our state. Have you thought about the Pell City or Lincoln area between B'ham and Oxford? Shool wise, Pell City would be the first choice. That area has it all. You are not far from Birmingham and you have rural areas as well as small town lliving. You also have Logan Martin Lake if you are into boating/fishing.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM

763 posts, read 2,552,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MullinsCurve View Post
Income tax is low, especially when compared to the reaming we get from the Feds. With a 6 digit income, married with 2 dependents and a mortgage, I paid about 3% in state taxes last year.
This is a key point. For most property-owning taxpayers in Alabama, the net state income tax burden runs about 2-3% after deductions.

So if you earned $200k - you'd pay $4000 on that $360 a month, versus saving $1000 per month on property taxes on a home valued at 600K.

Pretty easy math.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM

68 posts, read 104,000 times
Thanks everyone for your answers. Very helpful. I should have stated that were are retired so schools aren't that important, but it is still a thing to always consider for resale. We lived 23 years in Fl and sent our kids to private school. We would to that again or homeschool whereever we lived. It was interesting to read all the comments about schools. And, Wags we certainly are still considering Al and yes, we have thought of those areas...and nothing is ruled out. We have time to visit again and check out all the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama