Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,998 times

Advertisements

Tas1812,

I saw your post today. Athens is a decent little town, definitely growing. I wouldn't recommend every town in these parts, but Athens is pretty livable. I am from this area, but have lived in other parts of the country too. It's not exactly like western New York, but I think you'll come to like it. You will especially love the weather....no Rochesteresque snows here. And the cost of living is good. Not what it used to be, but still much lower than most places.

I live between Athens and Madison, so basically on the east side of Athens. You mentioned looking for something on the west side. There are a lot of good home values to be found west of Athens, but the eastern side towards Huntsville is where the new homes, shopping, etc, is coming in. Madison has been booming for years, and that's expanding into Athens on the east.

The proximity to better restaurants, shopping, etc may or may not be a concern to you. But if it is, I'd recommend the east side. On the east side you'll also find a lot more people from other places, which is the army/space center influence coming into play. In my neighborhood, probably 70% of the residents come from somewhere else. The west side of Athens gets you closer to Florence, which is more of a rural/traditional/chevy pickup/fishing on the river type culture. These are generalizations of course, but I think you will notice that difference by going just 10 to 15 miles one way or another.

At any rate, if you have questions, feel free to reply here or e-mail me directly and I will do whatever I can to help you find information or check out local stuff. My email address is below, slightly disguised to prevent spam.

Greg

fcabooks AT gmail dot com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 AM

11 posts, read 51,644 times
thanks for the great info -- we are going to be living in TN for now until we can get a good look at the Athens area and decide where we want to plant ourselves. But, of course, all of the input I have received has been wonderful. The fishing sounds nice for my husband, who is retired and we are tired of all the "hustle and bustle" up here in the North. And by-the-way Greg -- you are good. I only mentioned western NY not the city. ==Rochester is close and we do have a Chevy pickup!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I'd never heard of mayordan's blog (funny that it took someone from NY to turn me on to it

What a fascinating insight into local government! The mayor sure does eat out a lot, but I guess that gets him out around the citizens. I'm going to have to try the 'baked oysters' at the Oasis - Hizzoner says he'd "recommend them to anyone".

Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 AM

11 posts, read 51,644 times
his blog sure does keep you up to date --- I think it's great!! I would love to meet him, his coments on the blog was one of the the many things that drew me to Athens as a place to settle down. He seems to really take interest and care about how his town is portrayed and has a genuine pride in Athens. We don't have that kind of respect and concern from our city leaders up here!! It truely is a different world!! On my way -- see "ya'll" soon

Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 36,301 times
Default Athens Schools?

Anyone have any input on Athens or East Limestone. Would like opinions please. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Athens City Schools are excellent. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with East Limestone schools.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 25,757 times
Default athens living

Madison is MUCH more expensive than Athens; you will pay sometimes double the rent. Be careful which apt. complex you choose; some are very run-down and are in dangerous neighborhoods. Camelot and Windsor on Elm St. are ok and affordable. Several cops live at Windsor, so it's very safe. Think the smallest apt. is a 1-bed, rather than studio, but very cheap ($325-375/month), and allows pets (with deposit, I think). I know the manager, and she is very kind and open-minded. A christian who acts like Jesus; imagine that!!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 25,757 times
Default athens schools

Schools are very good. I graduated from Athens High School when it was among top 5 in state, but has gone down since then. Actually, many AHS students WANT to go to East Limestone now. Because of higher property taxes in East Limestone (since many Madison workers choose to live there, rather than much more expensive Madison), the school is improving.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 36,301 times
Default Athens Schools

Thanks for the input. I still would love more details if possible from anyone else out there that can give accurate comparisons/differences both positive & negative on both Athens and East Limestone Schools. From asking around what I have gathered is this....East Limestone years ago was the "country" school out in the county...not as good academically..and out in the sticks so to speak...however...over the years with the explosive growth of Madison and especially since the new Creekside Elementary came about in Harvest that growth is spreading to East Limestone...so now it is as much "outer suburbia Madison...as is outer rural Athens. Accurate? Athens East side towards Madison has had the most growth and more of the middle/upper class of Madison..many have went towards East Limestone. ...BUT in contradiction...I have also heard many city people that argue Athens being a city school has better academics programs, more social activities offered, etc. East Limestone concerns me a little in that is growing so fast and doesn't have the funding for a new middle/high school. Although Creekside is new...the High School is looking pretty rough...and do they offer as much academically? And Athens is growing too...but it is mostly new subdivisions on the East side so that should be good..right? The growth is in the better areas not the bad ones. sorry....I haven't ruled out Madison completely either...but this is an IMPORTANT decision...my oldest is a rising middle schooler...and after moving 4 times in her elementary years...we want to get her somewhere we are going to stay for good so she can make friends and go through high school with. THANKS.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Default Relocated from Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle4AMH View Post
Thanks for the input. I still would love more details if possible from anyone else out there that can give accurate comparisons/differences both positive & negative on both Athens and East Limestone Schools. From asking around what I have gathered is this....East Limestone years ago was the "country" school out in the county...not as good academically..and out in the sticks so to speak...however...over the years with the explosive growth of Madison and especially since the new Creekside Elementary came about in Harvest that growth is spreading to East Limestone...so now it is as much "outer suburbia Madison...as is outer rural Athens. Accurate? Athens East side towards Madison has had the most growth and more of the middle/upper class of Madison..many have went towards East Limestone. ...BUT in contradiction...I have also heard many city people that argue Athens being a city school has better academics programs, more social activities offered, etc. East Limestone concerns me a little in that is growing so fast and doesn't have the funding for a new middle/high school. Although Creekside is new...the High School is looking pretty rough...and do they offer as much academically? And Athens is growing too...but it is mostly new subdivisions on the East side so that should be good..right? The growth is in the better areas not the bad ones. sorry....I haven't ruled out Madison completely either...but this is an IMPORTANT decision...my oldest is a rising middle schooler...and after moving 4 times in her elementary years...we want to get her somewhere we are going to stay for good so she can make friends and go through high school with. THANKS.
Hi Michelle,

I really think it depends on the child. We moved from a large city to Athens so that we could have a quality yet slower paced (I thought sheltered) education. My daughter went to Brookhill Elementary followed by Athens Intermediate. She had for the most part, sweet caring teachers, small class sizes, exceptional standardized test scores and an overall good experience. However, while the teachers and the school tried, they couldn't really challenge her and she never really made close friends with any of the kids.

We then moved to a very large city with a specialized program during middle school. She immediately made several close friendships (instead of talking about which purse girls are carrying, they talk presidential elections) and has absolutely thrived. They offer many experiences that a small school cannot.

I am glad and very thankful for our small town experience but she needed something more. Through it all, I do not feel like her innocence has been unduly compromised. She is still sweet and of good character (I am sure surprises are in store within the next few years though...).

We are moving back to the area and will consider Madison and maybe Huntsville. She needs alot of AP classes in high school and a sports program that Athens does not have.

So.... while my experience was very good; it really depends on what you and your children would like to get out of school.

Also, check the high schools and course offerings. I had heard that in the county, the catalog shows many courses but some are only offered once a year or less! Just what I heard....did not verify.

Goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama