Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,236 times

Advertisements

I will be honest here, I never really thought of Alabama of all places as a serious prospect for a place to relocate. But after doing some research and reading it seems like it is a really nice place and I might be really happy there. I've read about Huntsville and it seems very nice, but I'm also curious about the Birmingham area. It really kind of seems like a baby Atlanta with a lot more genuine Southern charm and a more "homegrown "population versus transplant from all corners of the country and the world which is something that is actually very appealing to me, that's because in my humble opinion, sometimes it seems like very transient and transplant oriented places lack community cohesion and that people there live there because that's where their job is, not because that's where "home" is.

I'm about to graduate from California State University in Northridge with an economics degree. I have a certificate in construction management and I think either that or construction estimation is the field that I would like to go into. On the Christian, I'm a conservative I like guns I love nature and I'm more suburbia oriented and less into city living.

from my research in Huntsville I had probably wind up in the south eastern portion of the city or in Madison or Decatur. I don't think I would live in Birmingham city, but I did see some really beautiful apartments for really good prices (2 bedrooms for less than what I pay for a room in a shared home in a SoCal suburb) in the close in suburbs of Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills which look gorgeous (did a Google street view) and seem very much like classy places with no crime or riff raff hanging around, which would be a welcomed change from LA here in Mexifornia.

Compare and Contrast these two places for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
There are plenty more options here in Birmingham.

The conservative, Republican, gun loving types can enjoy peaceful suburban life with like minded people in several of our suburbs and still have access to urban city amenities. There is no jarring juxtaposition of an inordinate percentage of transplants in certain areas but you will come across people of all backgrounds in certain parts of the city.

There are several big construction firms here, two race tracks (Barbers and Talladega) and a car scene that covers everything from classic muscle, brodozers, current domestics, import tuners, donks, lowriders, VIP, euros and exotics. Plus a few eighth mile and quarter mile strips.

https://www.facebook.com/BhmCarsCoffee?fref=nf&__nodl

Birmingham has everything Huntsville has 3 times over and plenty of things they wish they did. But it is still very easy to get back to calm easy neighborly suburban life in a place like Gardendale or Trussville or Vestavia or wherever you choose without the overwhelming barrage of people and traffic you would find in an even larger city.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Tourian is correct.

Birmingham is a (mostly) great city and is the economic hub of the State.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times
You should feel no need to 'compare' the cities, what purpose does that serve. Simply list your criteria and then research what is available that is relevant to your criteria.

On what you did list I would suggest that you consider the Southside of the city proper. It is a beautiful area that rolls over the foothills of Red Mountain. It is rich with architecture and nearby culture and great dining spots. There are parks scattered through the area, and unlike many suburban areas there are actually trees that are older than your parents.

As Tourian mentioned, three of the largest engineering and construction companies in the country are based here. Harbert and Hoar being on an international scale. Also, Brasfield and Gorrie.

Regarding Huntsville; it is a growing city with much to offer. My biggest negative is that it does have an identity crisis due to the pace of growth. Also, since most of the growth occurred in the past fifty years, the city feels very suburban and without zoning. Having been laid out mostly over farmland it is also very flat and does not have the urban forest that I enjoy so much.
The old original DT area has a lot of potential and thankfully there are some nice near DT neighborhoods as an alternative to all the flat areas.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I live in Birmingham, but I like Huntsville a good deal as well. Both cities are really good places to live. To me, it's a question of how much city you want to have.

Basically you just need to come here and drive around, seeing what passes the eyeball test.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
I'm in Decatur.
If you're just out of college and single, DON'T live here. We are just too small, plus our housing stock is pretty old. We do have a growing downtown restaurant/bar vibe, but it is nothing like Huntsville or Birmingham. Most everybody is older with kids, or grandkids.
Hate to say that about my town, but I don't want you to get stuck here. Get married, have kids, THEN move here. It's a good place for families.

Really, Birmingham would be better than even Madison or Huntsville, just from the sheer numbers of young people in Birmingham. There are also 4 four-year colleges in or close to the city, plus a community college and the big U of Alabama just down the road. LOTS more businesses hiring new college grads in Birmingham. My son (about 30) lives there, along with MANY of his high school classmates who graduated college and are there for their jobs.

Birmingham has a number of construction firms that do business all around the region. They have new and innovative housing stock that is still quite affordable, plus a good downtown vibe and cool music scene.

Your best bet is a personal visit to both areas.

Good luck, welcome to Alabama!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
There are plenty more options here in Birmingham.

The conservative, Republican, gun loving types can enjoy peaceful suburban life with like minded people in several of our suburbs and still have access to urban city amenities. There is no jarring juxtaposition of an inordinate percentage of transplants in certain areas but you will come across people of all backgrounds in certain parts of the city.

There are several big construction firms here, two race tracks (Barbers and Talladega) and a car scene that covers everything from classic muscle, brodozers, current domestics, import tuners, donks, lowriders, VIP, euros and exotics. Plus a few eighth mile and quarter mile strips.

https://www.facebook.com/BhmCarsCoffee?fref=nf&__nodl

Birmingham has everything Huntsville has 3 times over and plenty of things they wish they did. But it is still very easy to get back to calm easy neighborly suburban life in a place like Gardendale or Trussville or Vestavia or wherever you choose without the overwhelming barrage of people and traffic you would find in an even larger city.
I feel as if I need a glossary reading that.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I feel as if I need a glossary reading that.

Ah ha ha. I even left out a few of the sub categories because I figured I was getting carried away. He mentioned being in to cars in one of his other threads, but I have no idea which one so I just wanted to let him know that all facets of the scene are covered.

Brodozer:

Current domestic: Any modified late model American car. Camaro, Mustang, Challenger.

Import Tuner: Any modified foreign car, usually Japanese.

Donk: AKA Hi-Rise. Donk is short for Donkey, slang for the Impala, but now it stands for any car modified to ride on very large rims...22" or larger.

Lowriders: Usually the same type of cars as Donks, but with smaller wheels and lowered suspension. Some can be raised or lowered or dance with the use of airbags or hydraulics.

VIP or Bippu: Big body cars, typically Japanese, extremely lowered, excessive camber. Designed to resemble Yakuza/Japanese gangster cars:

Euros are the same as Import Tuners, but typically are VWs and Audis. Some do the whole "fitment" thing too with the stretched tires over giant wheels:

And of course exotics being the Ferraris, Lambos, etc... And don't forget the drifters, bikers, mini-truckers...

Last edited by Tourian; 04-01-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Dang, Tourian. I just learned a lot. I'm not much of a car enthusiast, so thanks for the primer.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM

410 posts, read 696,076 times
If it was me, single out of college, I'd go Nashville or Birmingham if I could. I love live music and the craft beer scene, so they'd be great options. I personally lived in the DC area out of college, loved it, got married, had kids, wanted to get the heck out of there, and moved to Huntsville. Love Huntsville with a young family. The music scene is improving, the craft beer scene is great, Lowe Mill is awesome and the downtown area is rapidly improving in Huntsville. Plenty of hiking, biking, new housing, employment and very little traffic/crime compared to big cities. And close enough to hit Nashville and Birmingham for concerts and festivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama