U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,117 times
Default Moving from North Carolina to Montgomery/Prattville area and need advice

My husband has just accepted a job that we cannot decline and we are moving to the Montgomery area. His office will be in Clanton and he will need to be in Montgomery about once a week. Where should we live? We keep hearing awful things on this site about Montgomery. We moved to North Carolina from Atlanta so we are used to a large city and all that comes with it. However, we both grew up in small towns and appreciate that lifestyle as well. We also have a small child. We have looked in East Montgomery, Prattville, Millbrook and are now interested in Wetumpka. I'm worried about the commute to Clanton every day though. I need advice. Please give me the low down on the areas and the best place to live. We are leaning towards Prattville but all I've seen of this town in the Main Street drag which is so cluttered with retail. Where is the charm in this area? Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,436 times
Your best bet for splitting time between Clanton and Montgomery would be either Millbrook or the Pine Level portion of Deatsville (Highway 31 and Highway 40). You will be within 5 - 10 minutes of the interstate, which will be good for your husband. If you are in Pine Level, depending on how long you are here, you would do good to get your child into Pine Level Elementary. I do not have children, but live in a small neighborhood overrun with elementary aged kids, and people seem to value Pine Level Elementary quite a bit.

If you are really attached to the fast paced always something to do lifestyle of ATL you will be really disappointed unless you enjoy alot of relaxation. Alot of people in the Prattville/Millbrook/Deatsville hunt, fish, and boat. Pretty much anything to be outside. People within Montgomery spend money at restaurants, malls, and movie theaters. And travel.

There really isn't much to do in Montgomery. But that can be a good thing, if you'd like to relax for a few years.

However, the job market is not that great either, should either of you lose your jobs. There's a reason the median income is $40k and home values are $100k (as of 2005).

Hope you don't like snow. You won't get any.

--From another post about the same thing:

It really depends on where you are coming from. If you are moving here from a metro such as D.C. or Atlanta or NYC, and are accustomed to hour to 1.5 hour commutes each way, then you will be in heaven. If you live in the city, and avoid the traffic from 7:30 - 8:30 every morning, you can probably make it to work anywhere in Montgomery from anywhere you happen to live in probably 15 - 20 minutes. If you happen to get stuck in the rush *hour* you may have to deal with a 30 - 35 minute commute. Yes, Montgomery rush hour traffic really does last only 1 hour.

Neighborhoods with quicker turnover and nicer houses are County Downs, Fox Hollow, and anything out near Eastchase, Wynlakes, Halcyon, and Arrowhead (although Arrowhead is a little dated now).

If you're looking for a good budget home that will be guaranteed to sell quickly in a few years, you can't really beat Forest Hills. The houses are older, but a good value if you can live without brand new construction.

If you want a 30 - 35 commute, and in return a nice quiet lot with a bigger home for a moderate price, where you can actually see the stars AND sleep through the night free from noise, move to Deatsville. They have over-built just a hair, so if you can wait it out for about 3 - 5 years, it will become a sellers market again. And if you're into boating, you only have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest lake, or 1 hour to the bigger lake.

Pike Road has alot of land and the same commute times, and bigger houses for the money.

If you prefer a very small city setting to rural housing, move to Millbrook or Prattville instead.

But don't expect a booming nightlife, it just doesn't exist here. Montgomery is not a metro, no matter how much it or its people want you to believe. I have lived here all 24 years of my life, aside from the 4 I spent at college.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,023 times
p3t3r.griffin your post really helped answer some questions for me lurking throught all these threads trying to find out where to live since we will be relocating too. Your reply was so informative I just wanted to say thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama