U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,305 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've seen a lot of threads about the Enterprise AL area on here, but haven't seen anything that's really what I'm looking for.

I'm a military spouse, originally from NYC, currently living in Omaha, NE while I study for the bar exam, moving to join my husband in Enterprise, AL in August 2015. I've driven through the South a lot and am excited to be near Montgomery, Pensacola, etc. I'm also a big fan of Southern food so I'm looking forward to that! My husband's going to be moving there soon and so before he picked out a place to live I was hoping for advice on where to try to get a rental and things to do there?

A little about us: We're pretty young (27 and 31) and don't have kids. We're not religious. Democrats (not that political affiliation is very important to us). We're both Northerners, but have spent time in Florida and Texas and other small towns so we're capable of adjusting. I'm a very fast-paced, independent and social person. I value convenience very highly, prefer local flavor to chains, and making friends and finding meaningful work to fill my time are very important to me. I also enjoy hiking, camping, I'm a gym rat, etc. So I'm most concerned about being near some fun and being able to find some work. On the other hand, my husband is a very private person who likes quiet time alone and lots of space and isn't outdoorsy at all. Odd couple, I know

Some specific questions:
- Are there any unsafe neighborhoods we should avoid?
- Is there any nightlife (nicer restaurants, cool bars, movies, theater, concerts)? If so, what neighborhoods would be most convenient to participating in that nightlife?
- What are my chances of getting a legal-related job? It'll be my first job out of law school. I'm top of my class, and have worked with a federal judge, as well as interned at the US Dept of Justice. I'm planning on seeing if I can get anything with the Fort Rucker JAG office, but just wondering if there's anything else I should look into within commuting distance.
- What are our options for being social and making friends outside of work or church?

Anything else you can think of would be very helpful!!

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:23 PM

1,909 posts, read 517,991 times
Consider West Dothan. A little farther from Ft Rucker but it is an easy 25-30 minute commute on US-84. Plenty of nice neighborhoods with homes for rent like Grove Park for example. Not a fan of apartment living myself, but Highland Hills and Magnolia Preserve are pretty nice and quiet. There are a lot of law firms in Dothan considering the size of the town, so I think your chances of employment might not be too bad. Google these Dothan bars: The Oak and Olive, Firestone Grill, and McCleods Publick House to see if those bars might appeal to you. Craft beer is currently having big resurgence in Dothan. Both Enterprise and Dothan have mostly chain restaurants. We have some nice running trails here and more on the way. Usual franchised gyms. Ft Rucker has a very nice gym. We have a newer Cineplex. I imagine most of your husbands peers will live in Enterprise, but I wanted to let you know about this alternative. Enterprise is definitely more of a military town than Dothan. In my experience, secular living is not encouraged in either town.
I'm sorry I did not respond earlier but I don't log on to city data very often. Good luck with your transfer.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,305 times
Thanks for your advice Tom! I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or