Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Hey I don't like Birmingham or Montgomery. It is my opinion and preference. Montgomery is a dump and I am far from the only one that feels that way.

I knew this thread would blow up when someones feelings got hurt over their home town.

For the record, I don't live in Huntsville. I don't even live in Madison County for that matter. I do, however, spend a good bit of time in Huntsville and that is where I work. There are plenty of things I don't like about Huntsville but this thread does not pertain to that aspect. The topic of this thread is how you would rank the cities for places to visit and that is exactly what I did.

As I said, I can't put my finger on why I don't like Birmingham. I just don't like that place and never have. If that hurts your feelings because it is your home town, sorry but it is how I feel whether you like it or not. One thing that stands out in my mind though, is the time me and some friends went to a club in Birmingham about 10 years ago. When we were leaving we watched a bunch of thugs run through the parking lot grabbing girls purses and they beat the snot out of one guy who tried to stop them from taking his girlfriends purse. The club's security just stood there and watched, said it happened pretty much every weekend and just called the cops and went about their business as usual. We never went to Birmingham again. I didn't like Birmingham before that, still don't but that one incidence has always stuck in my mind.

Montgomery though, I know exactly why I don't like it. It is because every time I have ever gotten off the interstate there, it is like I drove right in the middle of the ghetto. I don't like hanging out in the ghetto regardless of what city it is and for that reason, I as many many others, feel like Montgomery is a dump and would not put it on a list of places to visit.
People who know me know on this forum know that I am know no mindless Bham-lover. Although I consider myself critical, some would be more likely to call me a hater.

The offensiveness of what you were saying was not based on a mindless defense of a city I happen to be living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanvibes View Post
Shopping, amenities, Events , pure fun for yourself or family an friends.

Mobile
Montgomery
Birmingham
Huntsville ?
MOBILE, its the real South.
Montgomery and Birmingham are ok, but Huntsville, nah.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
MOBILE, its the real South.
Montgomery and Birmingham are ok, but Huntsville, nah.

LOL ,I would say that they are all southern but Mobile just has a more historical old south charm than the others.The city is old with a lot of history so of course it would feel that way. Huntsville and both Baldwin County has the most transplants in the state the difference is that Baldwin is trying to hold on to an old historical south charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama