U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,332,291 times

Advertisements

Hi, Alabama room. I've been impressed with Auburn Univ. and thought it might be a nice town to retire to.
I've never been there, but the housing seems reasonable and the proximity to a major university (Auburn) makes it all the more appealing to me.

What are the down sides? Housing doesn't appear "cheap" to me, but it's still affordable. I realize the summers are miserable, but coming from Phoenix, I think I can handle it alright.

Do you know if seniors can attend university classes for free? (audit, not for credit.)

My other location of interest is Fayetteville, Arkansas. They also have an excellent university (my alma mater.) Fayetteville is very pretty, but the winters are colder than Auburn, I believe.

Thanks in advance. By the way, do you feel a northerner like myself would be shunned to some degree in Auburn because I'm not a southerner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,283,277 times
I do not know about the free audit part. However, I don't think you'll be shunned. There will be plenty of people from out of state attending the school. The only downside I can see is an inflated housing market where you'll pay too much for something because of the demand the students make on the market.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,513,354 times
you can be a northerner and we`ll accept you in bama..
you can go to auburn and we`ll accept you bama..
but you must pull for the crimson tide ....

Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
you can be a northerner and we`ll accept you in bama..
you can go to auburn and we`ll accept you bama..
but you must pull for the crimson tide ....
OK, Hoss. I'd be willing to do that to be accepted in Alabama

Old 08-16-2015, 01:56 PM

62 posts, read 125,497 times
I have lived in Fayetteville, AR and currently live in Auburn. Was born north of Mason-Dixon. You would be fine in either location as far as that. Fayetteville gets apocalyptic ice storms...haven't seen winter yet in Auburn, but I'm betting it's not quite as drastic. (And probably doesn't hit -20 on odd years like F'ville can). You're probably good with heat coming from Arizona, but the humidity might drown you.

Both places have hills and trees and are very scenic. My impression so far (er, I've lived here a week and a half) is that Auburn is a nicer-looking city; Fayetteville has these weird pockets of dumpy houses spread throughout town. Downtown is nice (and the library is huge; MUCH larger than Auburn's), but there are an awful lot of houses for rent that are simply not in good shape in Fayetteville. Most everywhere you go in Auburn looks nice. (Seriously, on a whim, our family went looking for the dumpiest housing ad we could find, and came up empty compared to other places we've lived.)

Fayetteville, I think, is cheaper to live in. We're paying something like a 9% sales tax here in Auburn, including on groceries. There's a city rental tax. People keep sending me links to how cheap it is to live in Alabama, but I'm pretty sure that it's cheap if you're in the upper 50% of the tax bracket, but has a lot of extra expenses if you're in the other bracket. Besides, Fayetteville has an Aldi, and Auburn doesn't.

The university seems to pretty much drive everything here. I've never seen a smaller town/gown line. (So uh...I would perhaps NOT recommend cheering for the Crimson Tide... Wear orange and tuck a tiger tail out your trunk and greet people with the phrase "War Eagle!" and you might be better off. No offense to Alabama fans--I am sure your team is just as wonderful, but we're trying to help the guy fit in here. )

In Auburn you'd be a little over an hour from the highest point (Mt Cheaha) and I think 3? hours from the coast. It is PRETTY. Then again, so is Fayetteville (minus the beach).

There are slight benefits to both places, but I think you could happily move to either one.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
I have lived in Fayetteville, AR and currently live in Auburn. Was born north of Mason-Dixon. You would be fine in either location as far as that. Fayetteville gets apocalyptic ice storms...haven't seen winter yet in Auburn, but I'm betting it's not quite as drastic. (And probably doesn't hit -20 on odd years like F'ville can). You're probably good with heat coming from Arizona, but the humidity might drown you.

Both places have hills and trees and are very scenic. My impression so far (er, I've lived here a week and a half) is that Auburn is a nicer-looking city; Fayetteville has these weird pockets of dumpy houses spread throughout town. Downtown is nice (and the library is huge; MUCH larger than Auburn's), but there are an awful lot of houses for rent that are simply not in good shape in Fayetteville. Most everywhere you go in Auburn looks nice. (Seriously, on a whim, our family went looking for the dumpiest housing ad we could find, and came up empty compared to other places we've lived.)

Fayetteville, I think, is cheaper to live in. We're paying something like a 9% sales tax here in Auburn, including on groceries. There's a city rental tax. People keep sending me links to how cheap it is to live in Alabama, but I'm pretty sure that it's cheap if you're in the upper 50% of the tax bracket, but has a lot of extra expenses if you're in the other bracket. Besides, Fayetteville has an Aldi, and Auburn doesn't.

The university seems to pretty much drive everything here. I've never seen a smaller town/gown line. (So uh...I would perhaps NOT recommend cheering for the Crimson Tide... Wear orange and tuck a tiger tail out your trunk and greet people with the phrase "War Eagle!" and you might be better off. No offense to Alabama fans--I am sure your team is just as wonderful, but we're trying to help the guy fit in here. )

In Auburn you'd be a little over an hour from the highest point (Mt Cheaha) and I think 3? hours from the coast. It is PRETTY. Then again, so is Fayetteville (minus the beach).

There are slight benefits to both places, but I think you could happily move to either one.
Thank you so much for your input on Auburn vs. Fayetteville. I'm leaning towards Fayetteville because of its low cost of living and being closer to my relatives in Colorado.

I have an idealized idea of the south, perhaps because I found people there to be more polite than I found in my home state of Wisc. Either way, like u said, they're probably both lovely towns. I want to live in a University dominated town. Auburn and Fayetteville both fit that bill. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,013,596 times
Auburn is significantly warmer than Fayetteville in the winter. If that is a significant issue for you, I'd strongly consider Auburn.

Auburn is a lovely town and lots of people are beginning to retire to the area, especially now that it has grown quite a bit and has a lot more conveniences than it did, say, 30 years ago.

Although Fayetteville is closer to Colorado than Auburn, keep in mind Auburn is just 90 minutes away from Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta... the world's busiest airport.

...And definitely don't cheer for Alabama if you set up shop in Auburn. I think you know that already if Arkansas is your alma-mater.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Auburn is significantly warmer than Fayetteville in the winter. If that is a significant issue for you, I'd strongly consider Auburn.

Auburn is a lovely town and lots of people are beginning to retire to the area, especially now that it has grown quite a bit and has a lot more conveniences than it did, say, 30 years ago.

Although Fayetteville is closer to Colorado than Auburn, keep in mind Auburn is just 90 minutes away from Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta... the world's busiest airport.

...And definitely don't cheer for Alabama if you set up shop in Auburn. I think you know that already if Arkansas is your alma-mater.
Steve, thanks for your good advice. Auburn is definitely warmer than Fayetteville. I don't care for snow and ice, so that's a plus. On the downside, Auburn looks a little more expensive than Fayetteville. Plus, Fayetteville area looks hillier (a plus)

Old 08-23-2015, 07:57 PM

62 posts, read 125,497 times
Both places are quite hilly (also a plus for me). Apparently, the very last foothill of the Appalachians is in Chewacla State Park, which is like a mile south of the city limits of Auburn. I know that Auburn is called the "prettiest city on the plains," but I have lived on THE plains, and this is not flat by a long shot. !! The hills in Auburn are scrunched together more, so where you might have a long incline in Fayetteville, you've got three hills crammed in here. Just like in the Ozarks, you've got plenty of hiking areas and forests and hills and views and trails. You don't have the karst topography (caves, limestone, etc.) in Auburn like you do in Arkansas, and there are more pine trees in Auburn, but the landscapes are in many ways very similar.

The big differences are your winter temperatures and one being cheaper than the other, I think. So, money vs. cold.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 AM

47 posts, read 51,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Steve, thanks for your good advice. Auburn is definitely warmer than Fayetteville. I don't care for snow and ice, so that's a plus. On the downside, Auburn looks a little more expensive than Fayetteville. Plus, Fayetteville area looks hillier (a plus)
You mean you like hills in ice storms? Auburn is fairly flat, prone to violent t-storms, has very mild winters, but - no Razorbacks. I believe I detect some emotional attachment to Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or