U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM

393 posts, read 1,218,727 times
Wink congratulations

Way to go homey! Good luck with your housing search. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind saying. I'm curious what's really up there compared to what I see on the net. I mean sometimes you'll see something that seems ideal, but then when you go to look at it you find out your neighbor has a car up on blocks and a nasty big dog sitting in the open trailer door. One focus of our move is to find a place that's either as nice or better than we are leaving. And we really do like Sarasota as a city and all of what it has to offer. From great beaches and weather to great health care, this place has everything we like. Except..........the snowbirds, the rude (me, me, me) new jersey/yorkers, and yes, the rising costs. Actually, the costs I can deal with, I really think it will all even out in the next year or so, I just don't really want to. As I say, we also will be checking out the Huntsville area and the entire upper third of the state, so we have many options. Actually we can relocate anywhere we want, one benefit to being a nurse looking for a job. We've already looked at areas in NC, SC, GA, FL, and Arkansas and none appealed to us. Developers have moved into and hacked up all the areas we were interested in. As those places get invaded, the prices go up. Simple supply and demand. Really did like Fayetteville Arkansas, but the houses there that we might have been interested in were priced not much less than can be bought in Florida. They might not have hurricanes, but they have plenty of tornadoes and crappy weather. And a state luxury tax. No thanks. Well, hope you find something that suits ya in Dothan. Let me know if you don't mind after you guys get back. Wish you luck and a safe trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 06:02 AM

52 posts, read 213,747 times
Hey Sunshine - yes Sarasota has it all, but to be honest, I don't like Sieasta Key that much, too crowed, we used to go to Nokomis beach for the Drum Circle and Sieasta key several times, too far to drive.

Dothan will have about a 10* difference in temps in the winter, not going to be like here where we know it is going to rain at some point in the afternoon.

Snowbirds, they just come take over, if you want to go out to eat you go o go by 4 PM, it has gotten really bad down here and wife drives 41 back and forth to work everyday and she is getting tired of someone trying to kill her, because they don't know how to drive or just do not care.

I also know about the trashy neighbor hoods, not for me, I have it nice here and I want it nice their, we will know more next week after we get back from house hunting, just not a whole lot of nice one in the price range we are looking at, had one get away from me last week, had everything we were looking for and the privicy too.

Why don't you just email me at ebinpg@earthlink.net and we can take this conversation off the board? might be better.

But I can live with making an hour trip to the Gulf and spend the day, we got nothing better to do,

Old 06-16-2006, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,549 times
In my previous posting I forgot to mention that CRISS1956 is wrong about there being a City and State tax. (I assume she means income tax) Only a few cities in Alabama have what they term an occupational tax, which means if you work or live in the city you pay it. Dothan is not one of those cities. And while we do have a State income tax, the highest tax rate is 5% and perhaps most importantly, the property taxes in Alabama are among the lowest in the nation and MUCH less than they are in Florida.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankercop
the property taxes in Alabama are among the lowest in the nation and MUCH less than they are in Florida.
Boy you got that right!, and here in SW FL they are just going to keep going up.

Leaving for Dothan Sunday morning to find a house, sure hope we do not have any trouble makeing new friends?

Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 AM

On Sunday June 11 we hauled the boat up to Dothan, did some looking around and we bought a home (new) on Tuesday.

The place is a little further from the circle of Dothan than I wanted to be, but we will adjust to country living.

The place cost me more than I wanted to pay but we will have to adjust, but we got a brand new home that is going to cost me the same as I was paying on the one here, but that includes taxes/insurance. So we saved not having to pay Flood Ins, saved 2/3 on the home owners ins, and over half in property taxes.

Will be moving to Dothan weekend of July 15th

Old 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM

108 posts, read 509,513 times
We live in Orlando and are moving out ASAP. On one of our driving adventures we toured the Dothan area. Dothan is a very nice city and very friendly people. What you find there are good honest people who enjoy living a true southern lifestyle. You may want to look at two other cities that are within 25 minutes of Dothan if you want something a little smaller, Enterprise and Ozark. Both are lovely cities and about half the size ( Around 25000 ea.) of Dothan. Also, forget Panama City Beach. You’ll love Alabama’s beaches.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,218,727 times
Wink thanks

thanks for the information. We actually are leaving this weekend for a week long tour and plan to include this area in our agenda. Appreciate you taking time to answer, and are eager to see several different parts of the state.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,653 times
I don’t care what you hear about Dothan, we are the friendliest town and the taxes and cost of insurance and living will make up the amount you will make in pay in Panama City Florida. It funny that people from Florida comes to our Medical Center for medical care. Living in Dothan, Alabama and loving it. Martha C. Conner [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 08-02-2006 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-02-2006, 03:46 PM

442 posts, read 2,096,946 times
Oh yes I Live Iin Kissimmee Florida and we are researching areas to move.. and the Dothan Area is one of them Kissimmee is Getting HORRID to live in .. Traffic is a night mare and people are rude and about %50 non english speaking !>.. good grief get me out!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM

Well I guess we are now residents of Alabama, came up to Dothan to buy a house and bought a new one out in Slocomb, just a little further from the circle than I wanted to be but we are adjusting.

Nice thing is that we have no one that close to us yet, so we did get the privicy we were looking for, and a nice new home at a reasonable price. We are not that far to the circle and we are finding our way around somewhat.

All we need to do now is to find some new friends to hang around with, most all the work in moving is about done so it is time to relax and enjoy, anyone interested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama