Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,514 times

Advertisements

Any forum or club for people who moved to Dothan, AL recently. Is there a garden club in Dothan? Any pluses or otherwise all newcomers need to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Where are you coming from? That makes a difference...

Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
I am not moving to Dothan but am moving to Eufaula and am having a very hard time transitioning. I am sure it is a lovely little town with very nice people but it seems to be in a 4th dimension with regard to real estate. Everything is old (antebellum or just old), dated, tired and most importantly overpriced. There are a handful of small homes that are new that are so overpriced and not on the lake. For what they are asking you can get all brick with every amenity you can think of in Huntsville or Atlanta. And they don't put in garages or driveways!!! They don't get the real world out there. The prices are ridiculous in the town itself and on the lake. We have considered looking to live in Dothan but that drive would get tiring for work. I think I am going to be living in a hotel for the rest of my life. We may end up in Dothan and leasing there. I can't imagine buying, we will just put our money in the bank So I am interested in any info in the area also.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 20,911 times
To AJ - What does it matter where a person comes from? Seems to me he is just looking for some info which is what this is all about, right??

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscholar331 View Post
To AJ - What does it matter where a person comes from? Seems to me he is just looking for some info which is what this is all about, right??
Because if they are from the north, then there may be some culture shock. If they are from the south, perhaps not so bad in that respect. Just trying to see what frame of reference the OP might have before I offered some advice.

Nothing nefarious intended, I assure you.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,514 times
Lived in Maryland for 10 years and lived in Wyoming for few years. We are from South Asia been here in US for 3 decades. So far we find people in Dothan to be relaxed and friendly. Lot of smiling faces! Not that people are not nice in other parts, I find people here are more at ease. My family agrees with me. It is HOT outside! There are lot of restaurants! Been here for 3 weeks. Housing much better than WY, but is still higher than I expected, at least by $75,000 considering there is no natural scenery in the backyard. May be this area does not get effected by market fluctuations. I have to find out if there is any real farmers market similar to Midwest with tons vegetables and fruits.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
Hi AL101! I have just relocated to the area and it is different - even from HUntsville. We are settling between Dothan and Eufaula in what I call a lake shack. Some observations of only 4 days here. I think people are MUCH friendlier here - whether I am walking on the Eufaula walking path, stores or in Dothan trying to see what all is available. Everyone from store clerks,bank tellers and just asking directions in the Home Depot parking lot was much friendlier than I am used to . Very nice.

Driving down 431 I noticed that Dothan has a botanical garden. Being a gardener I will check this out soon. Don't know what to expect but am pleasantly surprised. I bet they would be able to tell you about a gardening club.

Don't know about housing in Dothan but it seems to me that in general there is much overpricing in the area. Particularly in the Eufaula area. Tired and overpriced. No new housing unless you build yourself. I have heard that Dothan does have new and that the area is doing well economically. Maybe that explains what you have seen.

We have discovered that the lake is beautiful and offers a lot. The wildlife refuge and state parks are very nice and I don't see any of those water weeds that we saw so much of on Lake Guntersville. Our house is on the lake and we actually have a year round bald eagle residing a few yards from the house so that is great.
One drawback is that you have to drive everywhere to get decent shopping. Even the people I met in Dothan live an hour away. It will and is definitely an adjustment but we are looking forward to it and making it an adventure. At least we can make a day trip to the beach occasionally!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Isn't Dothan where Ricky B. Sharp is from?

*knows they'll have to listen to a certain radio show to get that one*

Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,105 times
i am from south west florida n want to more to Dothan can any one tell me what up over there with life job rent and all da plus what does it have for kids also does anyone know how can i rent over there sure is give and give
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama