U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 AM

104 posts, read 208,920 times

Advertisements

I am looking into purchasing a condo for my daughters to live in while attending Auburn. A couple of the ones I've looked at will need some updating. Depending on the unit we choose, I could possibly need some or all of the following: laminate or hardwood flooring installers, carpet installers, cabinet tear out/install, heat pump, wallpaper removal/painting. I would love to get in touch with some of these professionals while I'm still in the "looking" phase so that I might be able to get some estimates on labor costs, etc. It would help me to know what I can afford if I do go with a fixer upper. Would love to talk/message someone who has property in Auburn and can help me out with some recommendations. It would also be helpful to know of a good plumber and electrician since I won't be using a management company to handle maintenance. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 AM

5,670 posts, read 14,369,415 times
I see you're in Hoover. You might want to post on the Birmingham section. But really, this forum has a very limited reach. You'd probably get a better response from Facebook.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM

1,040 posts, read 499,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
I am looking into purchasing a condo for my daughters to live in while attending Auburn. A couple of the ones I've looked at will need some updating. Depending on the unit we choose, I could possibly need some or all of the following: laminate or hardwood flooring installers, carpet installers, cabinet tear out/install, heat pump, wallpaper removal/painting. I would love to get in touch with some of these professionals while I'm still in the "looking" phase so that I might be able to get some estimates on labor costs, etc. It would help me to know what I can afford if I do go with a fixer upper. Would love to talk/message someone who has property in Auburn and can help me out with some recommendations. It would also be helpful to know of a good plumber and electrician since I won't be using a management company to handle maintenance. Any help is appreciated.
if you are buying your daughters a free condo I am sure they cant handle some DIY.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

3,042 posts, read 4,011,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
if you are buying your daughters a free condo I am sure they cant handle some DIY.

I guess if you can't contribute something helpful, don't post anything at all? The above is rather condescending and really makes no sense.

OP, I would take Southlander's advice about asking in the Bham forum as there are a lot of AU students from that area, or check Angie's List for some recommendations. If you have an agent in Auburn helping you with your purchase, ask them for their vendor's list....we all have lists of different contractors we use and are happy to make recommendations. It will benefit you greatly to have a dependable general handyman you can call that can address many different issues.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:52 AM

1,040 posts, read 499,497 times
I was being serious. In a condo you have a lot of rules on bringing in outside contractors and handiman. The actually owners can do repairs themselves.

You daughters with a few trips to Home dept and help from a handiman should do this in a few weekends.

you want to bring plumbers, electricians, contractors in to unit, depending on strictness of board, insurance requirement, workers comp, liability and building dept it could be a whole can of worms you are opening up on a condo.

My last investment property I bought a condo my wife and two of my daughters aged at the time 11 and 13 helped me along with my handiman. It took us two weeks after work and on weekend to finish up place and get it ready to be rented.

I read by-laws carefully and tons of rules and requirements if not doing work yourself. Me replacing an outlet 20 bucks, five minutes, me with electrician a lot longer and more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama