Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 38,132 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Due to buy outs, corporate down sizing, we are considering a relocation for economic reasons and to leave the cold, snowy, busy north (Maryland).
I work environmental engineering and my wife is a nurse.

I am tired of being flipped off while driving, grid lock, rude clerks in stores, busy people who are always in a hurry and never look one in the eye, drug problems, over priced homes, cost of living, etc.

My daughter spent 3 years at Auburn getting her PhD and we loved the place. If we both could secure employment, I would sell and move to AU area in a heart beat.

A good friend of mine stated we should consider Eufaula, as once you visit you might just not want to leave, but sadly in 3 years I did not visit the area. We did not know at that time what the future held in Maryland economics.

I am thinking of a long weekend trip to the area in the next few weeks just to check it out so to speak.

My concern is housing and costs, economics, public schools (our youngest will be a senior in high school in the fall of 2008), residents, friendly people, assimilation into the area, etc.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and what about the fishing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Eufaula is an amazing town! It has a lot of industry for mid-sized town. The lake is great too. Of course, you are trading cold for hot humid weather, where going outside during the summer can sap your energy in seconds (which is quite common in many places, but just giving a heads up). I would highly recommend getting a job before moving, else you might find yourself in deep trouble. Lake Eufaula has great fishing, but be cautious if you ever plan to swim in it (gators).

Eufaula has/had plans to build a new walking trail over an old railroad grade, near downtown. Plus the city has sort of been on a mission to improve its parks systems. Can't say much about schools though, its always rough to move High Schoolers (I know from experience).

Eufaula was going through an economic boom up recently, however I hear it has slowed down significantly.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Can't tell you a lot abut Eufaula but you might want to consider N. AL. PPl are friendly pretty much everywhere you go in AL. Huntsville is hiring lots of engineers although I don't know what types. We have TVA here so that might be an option. There are lots of small towns all around and Guntersville Lake. Housing is very reasonable. Check out valleymls.com.
There is a joblink.alabama.gov to look for jobs in different areas.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 38,132 times
I want to thank you for the info, suggestions and heads up!! It is much appreciated.

I have spent some time in Alabama, in June and also in August - shower in the morning, walk out side, and sweat so bad it is unreal. BUT, I am NOT a cold weather lover, and the older I get I hate snow. That just keeps coming, day, after day, after day for months.

Anyway, I am going to look into your suggestions, especially the job link.
I know it will be tough if we up root our eldest, who will be a senior in high school come August.

But I also have to admit, some of the most friendly people I have ever met are from Alabama, Western & Northern Georgia and South Carolina. I have never been thanked so many times, asked if someone could help me, carried on such friendly for making a purchase in a market, eating a meal, or something as simple as a stop in store for a soda and directions. Southern hospitality sure is a real thing!!

Oh, thanks for the info on gators. Never gave those a thought in Alabama lakes. How about Lake Martin or are they not that far in-land, or access Lake Eufaula from the Chattahoochee River?
So my next question, if I was to fish the Chattachoochee RIver, could I run across a gator in those waters as well??

Dang, and I thought catching Northern Pike, Walleye or Muskies was a fight...

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmefish View Post
I have spent some time in Alabama, in June and also in August - shower in the morning, walk out side, and sweat so bad it is unreal. BUT, I am NOT a cold weather lover, and the older I get I hate snow. That just keeps coming, day, after day, after day for months.
I hate cold weather as well, but as an Alabama native, I've never really had to deal with it.

Quote:
Anyway, I am going to look into your suggestions, especially the job link. I know it will be tough if we up root our eldest, who will be a senior in high school come August.
Is there a specific field you are looking to work in? Eufaula offers quite a lot, plus its "off the beaten path", unlike other parts of Alabama, Eufaula hasn't become a huge sprawling mess. My parents moved our family during my Senior year, its rough at first, but things work themselves out..

Quote:
Oh, thanks for the info on gators. Never gave those a thought in Alabama lakes. How about Lake Martin or are they not that far in-land, or access Lake Eufaula from the Chattahoochee River?
So my next question, if I was to fish the Chattahoochee River, could I run across a gator in those waters as well??
I don't think gators are as far inland as Lake Martin. Lake Eufaula has its share of gators during the summer months especially, but they generally keep to themselves. You can take your boat all the way up into Columbus if you really wanted to on the Chattahoochee, even go as far as the Gulf of Mexico if you really wanted to. The further North you go, the less likely you are to run into a gator, but in the lake itself (especially the lower half of the lake) and the further you venture South, the more gators you will run in to. I really don't think it'll be much of an issue, I've had more trouble with gar then gators. Just keep a watchful eye if you do any swimming.

There is a significant population of Californians in the area, and plenty of typical Northeasterners as well, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding people coming from similar situations you are in.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 126,669 times
Default I'm from Eufaula....

However, I don't live there now. It was a fantastic place to grow up in. Most of my family is still there. It is a hidden gem. They are going through some growing pains, but it is so slow you wouldn't notice. The cost of living is significantly lower than the DC area. Most of the gators are around Lakepoint State Park and the Wildlife Refuge. They don't typically venture down river much because it's wide, deep water.

In terms of employment, your wife may not have much of an issue finding a job. You may. There are several large companies in the area but I don't know if they will be up your alley. Your best bet may to look for a job in Dothan.

As for schools, when I was at EHS, it was on of the top-10 in the state. I can't tell you now. I do know several of the teachers there (went to school with them) and they are top-notch.

Any more questions, just ask!

Eufaula Tribune - News - Top Stories

Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think Lake Martin would be worth considering, as well as Pell City on Logan Martin. In North Alabama, Guntersville is on the Tennessee River.

If you are retiring, the State of Alabama has a great program titled Alabama Advantage, providing prospective retirees with all kinds of relocation information on the state.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,913 times
I lived in Eufaula for a few years, it is the worst place in the country and the people are the biggest crooks in the country. They think stealing is ok anytime for anything. I think I could trust a new york city drug dealer more than one of the locals. The only good people I meet there were the few northerners that moved to the area. My opinion is the yankies should have burned it to the ground back during the war between the states. The war is still going on between the north and the south in this town.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 14,768 times
You are crazy. as a former Eufaulian (born & raised), I can say that is not true. Eufaula is a very wonderful place to live, but it is a payton place. There are not a lot of job opportunities in Eufaula, but Columbus GA & Dothan AL are not far away. The Columbus-Phenix City-Auburn-Opelika areas will be getting almost 20,000 new jobs over the next several years. I have always been proud to say I was from Eufaula, but I am also glad I moved away. My family has had more opportunities available to us living in a larger area.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 15,480 times
My husband and I moved to Eufaula 4 and a half years ago. We moved from MN and would never go back to live. (visit that's it) I can't tell you how happy we are in the winter, it makes up for the summer heat. The people are very friendly and open to people relocating. We have a upscale restaurant and bar in the historic downtown and are supported by longtime locals and newcomers a like. I feel that I live in a Southern novel quite often and wake up wondering how did I get here? Wouldn't trade it for the world. We go out boating and sit on one of the islands in the Chattahoochee River. The only time we saw any gators was when we went up looking for them in the Wildlife Refuge. There are people on the lake all the time and no gator attacks.
I would recommend moving south. People are really nice and polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama