U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM

566 posts, read 1,148,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I noticed on the electoral map of the southern states that the red counties of Alabama were mainly in North Alabama, maybe because of government jobs. But I would think since it's suppose to be so diverse, the votes would reflect cities that are really diverse like Chicago or Seattle.I know that North Alabama has a larger white population compared to other parts of Alabama, but polls show that educated whites vote democratic, why didn't that happen in Huntsville.Alabama had a chance to go the other way in this election, and would have only help this state out. If you want this state to be great and kill the stereotypes we have to think different and accept others.

What map are you looking at, how did you come to that ridiculous conclusion? The map I look at shows every county in the state going republican except Jefferson county and the ones in the Black Belt. You say Alabama had a chance to go the other way in this election? Are you serious, thats laughable, what kind of logic does your head come up with? Alabama went 60% to 39% for Mccain (in the top 5 highest percentage in the nation for all voters, 90% for white voters highest percentage in the nation along with Mississippi) how is that anywhere near close to going the other way. How did you make this election to be about North Alabama vs the rest of Alabama smh @ your posts and your flawed logic. Pretty much every county in Alabama went republican except for the small counties that are majority black like Greene, Sumter, Hale, Lowndes, Winston, Sumter and so on. If you think those counties are what you would call "diverse" you are insane. Those are pretty much counties in the black belt that are small, majority poor and black. I saw the same electoral map as you and it says blacks in Alabama voted for Obama at 95-97% whites voted for Mccain at about 88-90% statewide. Educated whites in Alabama do not vote democratic this is a red state, most whites in Alabama highly educated or not vote republican. The only highly populated counties that can be considered anywhere near diverse that went for Obama is Jefferson, and Montgomery--if you really want to stretch it. So Huntsville voted pretty much the same as the rest of the state, but you do make a point since Huntsville does generally have more highly educated people and people from different areas you would think that it would have voted more democratic but that's due to this being a town that depends on defense which democrats are known to cut. So I agree with you on that point about Huntsville as well as the counties of North Alabama outside of Huntsville not being diverse at all except the fact that most of the government workers live primarily in Madison and Limestone counties so the other counties not voting democratic have nothing to do with government jobs. But what was the point of stating something obvious besides you just expressing your usual hate for Huntsville?

Huntsville isn't as diverse as those huge cities that have 4 million or more people its a really dumb comparison to compare a metro area of 400,000 and try to say see its not diverse as a Chicago that has more than 7 million people. Nobody has ever suggested Huntsville was THAT diverse besides you. Alabama is not a diverse place period, Birmingham is the most diverse city in Alabama by far mainly due to its size, but Huntsville is more diverse than most of Alabama. The counties in southern Alabama that Obama won are due to them being primarily black it has nothing to do with diversity, or being more highly educated. Mostly black isn't any more diverse than mostly white, and I say this as somebody who has supported Obama i'm not against him or anything but your argument is flawed. It's hilarious how you try to make every issue about Huntsville.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 11-07-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM

896 posts, read 1,558,827 times
The map they showed on CNN buddy.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 PM

26,362 posts, read 52,971,138 times
Alabama: Presidential County Results - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,956,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaigirl10 View Post
I dont live in arab I live in madison but I couldnt agree with you more. We are moving . I moved here from Michigan and I have never meet such rude,unsocialble people in my life I hate it here we are move back up north were the people are friendly and social. Oh and your right no one can drive here.
Its alot worse in MS. My boyfriends family are racist and backwards. They also have a problem with outsiders (found that out the hard way) I cant blame him for wanting to live here. Its sad that people are so shallow minded.

Though thats not to say that i'd move anywhere else in the US but just not these states. I have just been given a really bad impression.

It's sad that in the 21st century this bull**** still goes on.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM

8,738 posts, read 15,332,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Uh.... It's not just Alabama... Almost ALL rural counties in the U.S. are 80+ percent white. It's just a fact of life. It's related to a thing called White Flight when alot of minority people moved into the cities white people responded by moving to the suburbs and the sticks.

Tennessee has 95 counties and without looking them up I can guarantee you that better then 80 counties are 80% white or higher.
North Alabama may be 80% white, but the rest of the state is not. Many counties in central Alabama are majority black and white people there do experience discrimination from black people. My county is about 40% black.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 PM

8,738 posts, read 15,332,047 times
Quote:
Georgia has a large majority black population but it's mostly compacted into the Atlanta metro area. Same could be said of North Carolina in the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas. Of course, Louisianas majority are in New Orleans..
That's misleading. Go to south GA and cruise around the smaller towns (Augusta, Valdosta, Douglas, etc) and you will see that blacks are around 40-50% of the population. Of coarse the majority of blacks in GA live in Atlanta, it's a big city. Look in eastern NC also, you'll see that blacks are the majority in quite a few rural counties.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 PM

603 posts, read 1,178,256 times
Quote:
Uh.... It's not just Alabama... Almost ALL rural counties in the U.S. are 80+ percent white. It's just a fact of life. It's related to a thing called White Flight when alot of minority people moved into the cities white people responded by moving to the suburbs and the sticks.

Tennessee has 95 counties and without looking them up I can guarantee you that better then 80 counties are 80% white or higher.
Most rural counties in the deep south are not 80+ percent white. I'm talking about southern and central MS, AL, GA.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,029 posts, read 3,660,673 times
I have relatives in Oneonta that I see every few years, and it's hard not to like the laid-back country charm, and of course even the kudzu! But while most folks are pleasant like anywhere, there's also no shortage of bored, redneck good 'ol boys and their pickemups, on the lookout for trouble and anything "different".

The other thing I notice is alot of those picturesque old family farms or barns you see all over the place, but which no longer produce or raise anything. And yet everywhere you go there are restaurants referencing this faded rural past, with "country cookin' this" and "country cookin' that", or "just like grandma used to make", even though everyone now makes a living at Walmart, auto parts stores, quick-stops, etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I have relatives in Oneonta that I see every few years, and it's hard not to like the laid-back country charm, and of course even the kudzu! But while most folks are pleasant like anywhere, there's also no shortage of bored, redneck good 'ol boys and their pickemups, on the lookout for trouble and anything "different".
Um, it's "pickumup truck."

Old 11-22-2008, 12:32 AM

33 posts, read 59,722 times
Funny Southlander, I always thought it was pick'em-up truck. I mean, don'tcha wanna pick'em up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama