Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 55,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Here in NY I have met many liberals with a very closed minded world view compared to social conservatives who are more open to debating different view points. Liberals can be just as unaccepting of people of different backgrounds. The point is it really depends on the person rather than these sweeping generalizations about people in each region.
It's a funny tribute to human nature that in each case, it's the minority that is most open to minority views.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM

38 posts, read 145,969 times
Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbeck View Post
Wow! After reading all these comments on the rude people in AL. and how noone seems to have made "true friends". I can see now what my daughter is talking about. She goes to the University in Tuscaloosa and says she has never encountered "these type of people before..."
She has made two friends and quite a few guy friends. But she says the girls aren't southern belles they're southern *******.
She is finishing out the school year and moving back to Cali.
She is miserable. Its taking all she has to stay until May.
Well, I'm glad you got on here and read some of the back and forth. I know as parents we sometimes think our kids are just not trying hard enough or are over reacting to things, but I'm glad you see what your daughter is going through. My best friend in Kentucky is from LA and she has lived in the south 10 years and STILL can't get used to it. It is hard-it's is different-and sometimes it IS the place. Yeah, I haven't met too many southern belles myself. My brother is in school there as well and the stories he tells me about some of the girls and the sorority's etc. just make me want to wretch.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM

38 posts, read 145,969 times
Default word

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernerd View Post
I was born and raised Alabamian, and being both liberal and nonreligious and consigned to the suburbs, I can understand being less than content with the mindset.

However, I have to say that being physically attacked for kissing your same-sex partner is not the way Alabama usually works, especially in Southside. I lived off of Highland for several years, and everyone seemed to accept that it was a gayish community. I'm not surprised your neighbors didn't drop by to bring you cookies, but I found it to be an extremely tolerant community - more friendly, in fact, than the suburb I live in now.

Heathanoah, I think you've just been very unlucky. Alabama isn't exactly crusading for LGBT issues, but what happened to your partner seems quite unusual to me.

As far as the drug money guy, well, Southside is tolerant, but not especially safe.
It was actually a drug money GIRL and she was my neighbor-like same house neighbor. She and her abusive boyfriend moved out last month . And yes, southside for the most part is tolerant but I wouldn't say extremely safe, you're right. Yeah, I have had some bad luck-the guy who beat up my partner was a construction worker, so he didn't live in the area. She has permanent brain damage, but she is getting better every day. She is still really scared of people here though and I don't blame her. She was just in the hospital recently with complications and we overheard all of the nursing staff talking about "those homosexuals are taking over the world" and "it's disgusting" so for the rest of the time in the hospital she was really nervous and didn't want me to hold her hand or hug her or anything for frear that she wouldn't get good care. I didn't mean for this to turn into the "gay" thing, that is a small part of what I don't like about living here. I hadn't gotten on here for awhile, but I'm glad to see some of you guys are at least understanding and have some civil responses!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
I am very sorry for what happened to your girlfriend and the carp at the hospital is completely unprofessional - it should be reported, though I understand the fear of repercussions.

Huntsville seems to be pretty tolerant. I think they just have a better ability to keep opinions quiet?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 30,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Are you saying you saw no black people in Madison? Madison is 20% black. My neighbor was black and I saw black people at the Wal-Mart and all around town. And they didn't have a look of terror on their faces either.

It's funny that someone from Michigan is preaching about Alabama's racial climate. We all know Michigan has no problems in that department.
I was speaking of Arab only.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathanoah
the guy who beat up my partner
I hope that the Police were helpful, that the guy is prosecuted and punished, and that your friend gets well.

That guy shouldn't hit girls, gay or straight.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 AM

208 posts, read 605,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapp2it View Post
I was speaking of Arab only.
My bad.

That part of Alabama is part of Appalachia and generally Appalachian counties are not diverse. Appalachia stretches from Alabama to Pennsylvania and many of those counties are atleast 90% or more white. Also the rural areas (the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.) of the midwest and New England are not diverse either.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM

196 posts, read 768,046 times
I just had to say this about Alabama. It's beautiful - lived there years back but they don't like outsiders and I don't expect they ever will. So I moved and God Bless all of them.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrossthepond View Post
It totally amazes me the responses of people. I am not a native Alabamian coming here via Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia, and Germany. I have never found people who were not friendly in any of these places. Yes some of the customs are unique. I bought some trees from a farmer in France once. He wouldn't do business with me until I came to his home and had coffee and cake. I even had to see the wild hog he was raising before I could talk business. I use to do business with a farmer 200 miles away in Germany and he stayed on me until I came and visited him at a fest in his hometown. And he did not speak a word of English. He wanted to offer friendship.

Folks if you are set in your ways and not flexible about learning new customs in a new location, you probably will be unhappy. The most fun about living and traveling in Europe is to get off the beaten path and meet people. Politics are different everywhere but if you are set in your ways and not adaptable, then your new house will never be your new home.

By the way, I live in Madison, I have very friendly neighbors to include a bi-racial couple next door. We are comfortable in our surroundings and find making friends are no problem. I find nothing not to like. Everyone does not have to be your friend to have a fullfilling life. Need a friend go to a church. We have one on every corner in Madison. If you are young and seaching for a nightlife, it may take a little adjustment, but things are getting better in North Alabama for that. Find somewhere to volunteer. It is amazing the people you meet doing that. Extend a hand and make a friend.
This is an exceptionally good post.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
I just had to say this about Alabama. It's beautiful - lived there years back but they don't like outsiders and I don't expect they ever will. So I moved and God Bless all of them.
And where did you live in Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama