Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM

26 posts, read 195,313 times

Advertisements

Good day, Alabama residents!

I'm 21 yr old male from the Philippines. I have plans on moving to Gadsden, Alabama this coming April.

I'm an occupational therapist by profession and got a job offer in Gadsden, AL.

I would like to ask questions regarding the place/area.

1. How's living in Alabama particularly in Gadsden?
2. Do I need a car to move from one place to another? Is there any public transpo available?
3. How's the cost of living and quality of life out there? Is $30 per hour would suffice or enough for a living?
4. Is there any Filipino community out there?
5. What activities are available in the area? I'm into rowing, mountaineering, surfing and playing basketball.
6. Do people in AL welcome outsiders?
7. How about racism? Is it prevalent in the area?

I have so much questions I would like to ask but I think these questions are enough for now. My contract is for 3 years so I need to live there whether I like it or not.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
1. How's living in Alabama particularly in Gadsden?

I don't live in Gadsden, however living in Alabama is wonderful.

2. Do I need a car to move from one place to another? Is there any public transpo available?

You will need a car.

3. How's the cost of living and quality of life out there? Is $30 per hour would suffice or enough for a living?

$30 an hour is higher than average (median income in AL is ~$40,000 per year / in Gadsden ~$30,000); the cost of living in Alabama is less than US average; quality of life is what you make it. Gadsden is a small town (~40,000 people) located on Interstate 59 about an hour or so from either Birmingham Alabama or Chattanooga Tennessee - in the 'mountainous' part of the state.

4. Is there any Filipino community out there?

Asians are less than 1% of the population in Alabama (keep in mind that includes ALL Asians from Saudi Arabia to India to China to Japan to the Phillipines), even less in Gadsden (0.5%).

5. What activities are available in the area? I'm into rowing, mountaineering, surfing and playing basketball.

Canoeing / Kayaking, Hiking, Backpacking, and most sports are available. Gadsden is near the southern part of the Appalachian Trail (backpacking). Gulf of Mexico beaches are ~6 hours or so away - do not plan on surfing.

6. Do people in AL welcome outsiders?

Depends on the outsider.

7. How about racism? Is it prevalent in the area?

IMO racism exists to some extent everywhere in the world. If you don't care what people think, you may never notice it. If you walk around thinking that people are racists then you'll probably find it (the 'perpetually-offended'). Overall it is a non-issue in people's daily lives.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Thank you for the input. If you were on my shoes, would you consider living in Gadsden, AL in a heart beat?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
I've lived in similar situations for work and just made the best of it. If the job opportunity can help further your career, then moving to Gadsden may be the right decision. I'm sure this is a hard decision - moving to a new place, getting a new job, getting settled without having friends or family to help you. The area is scenic, larger cities are nearby, Atlanta isn't too far for air travel, you'll be making good money, and the cost of living is less than the US average (but perhaps not what you are used to).

You may want to contact someone at the City, Chamber of Commerce, or Tourism for more information (each of these organizations promotes the City):

Gadsden, AL - Official Website

The Chamber

Greater Gadsden Area Tourism - Etowah County, AL

Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,664 times
I live in Gadsden. I moved here Sept 2011. $30 an hour, if you work full time will basically allow you to do as you wish, within reason. As far as racism, I found more racism against certain people, but since the Asian population is so low, they are pretty welcomed here. Of course, it is what you make it. Southerners tend to be very hospitable, if you fall in with that mentality, you will fit right in. If you make yourself an outsider, then that is how you will be treated. I suppose it's the same almost anywhere. I am from Miami.. they aren't as nice as people here. Avoid East Gadsden, you make enough that you can live in a nicer area. As an Occ Therapist, you can live in the historic district, there are new loft apts for rent on Broad Street. Or you can rent a REALLY NICE Historic home for around $1500 month (high end). Also, if you have kids, rent in Rainbow city or on Noccalula Mountain. If you have kids, youhave to be VERY particular where you live. If you get the wrong school, your experience here will be DISMAL!! If you give a few more details, I can help you.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I've lived in similar situations for work and just made the best of it. If the job opportunity can help further your career, then moving to Gadsden may be the right decision. I'm sure this is a hard decision - moving to a new place, getting a new job, getting settled without having friends or family to help you. The area is scenic, larger cities are nearby, Atlanta isn't too far for air travel, you'll be making good money, and the cost of living is less than the US average (but perhaps not what you are used to).

You may want to contact someone at the City, Chamber of Commerce, or Tourism for more information (each of these organizations promotes the City):

Gadsden, AL - Official Website

The Chamber

Greater Gadsden Area Tourism - Etowah County, AL
It's been a long time since the last time I visited this forum. Well, unfortunately my employer failed me to file for H1b this year. The quota has reached on its first week of filing. By the way, I already talked with my employer and they are willing to relocated me in more urban city in the USA. My job offer in Gasden, AL will be in Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF), and I don't think it would help me to grow as an OT.

Thank you for the response. I'll think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southrn Gal View Post
I live in Gadsden. I moved here Sept 2011. $30 an hour, if you work full time will basically allow you to do as you wish, within reason. As far as racism, I found more racism against certain people, but since the Asian population is so low, they are pretty welcomed here. Of course, it is what you make it. Southerners tend to be very hospitable, if you fall in with that mentality, you will fit right in. If you make yourself an outsider, then that is how you will be treated. I suppose it's the same almost anywhere. I am from Miami.. they aren't as nice as people here. Avoid East Gadsden, you make enough that you can live in a nicer area. As an Occ Therapist, you can live in the historic district, there are new loft apts for rent on Broad Street. Or you can rent a REALLY NICE Historic home for around $1500 month (high end). Also, if you have kids, rent in Rainbow city or on Noccalula Mountain. If you have kids, youhave to be VERY particular where you live. If you get the wrong school, your experience here will be DISMAL!! If you give a few more details, I can help you.
So happy to hear that there's actually less racism there for Asian because I heard that racism is quite common in the U.S. I also heard a lot of good things about Southerns. If you dont mind asking, whats the difference between people who lives in North and South states?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM

163 posts, read 297,582 times
Ok..sorry if some of this has already been covered....see my bold answers below.....

Good day, Alabama residents!

I'm 21 yr old male from the Philippines. I have plans on moving to Gadsden, Alabama this coming April.

I'm an occupational therapist by profession and got a job offer in Gadsden, AL.

I would like to ask questions regarding the place/area.

1. How's living in Alabama particularly in Gadsden? culture shock regardless, but if you have never lived in the States you'll have some culture shock regardless
3. How's the cost of living and quality of life out there? Is $30 per hour would suffice or enough for a living? one can do pretty well here on that salary....cost of living is cheap in AL compared to rest of US
4. Is there any Filipino community out there? there is larger Filipino community in Birmingham ( only 1 hours away...I have Filipino friends in Birmingham ) and large Filipino comm in Atlanta , only 2 hours away; also Huntsville and Chattanooga , each about 90 min away.... a few but not too many Filipinos in Gadsden proper
Rowing you could do on the many lakes and rivers in area, also good places to mountaineer, surfing not too good in Gulf of Mexico ( unless hurricane or tropical storm approaching ) and is approx. 4.5 hours away
6. Do people in AL welcome outsiders? Yes, as long as u accept them and don't try to change Alabama too much.... u won't have a problem w this at all in the larger cities around
7. How about racism? prevalent to some extent but shouldn't be too bad, especially in larger cities where it is more diverse Is it prevalent in the area?

I have so much questions I would like to ask but I think these questions are enough for now. My contract is for 3 years so I need to live there whether I like it or not.

Thank you in advance.

Read more: Moving to Gadsden, AL. Need your advice and help!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Thank you. Your post did really help me to know more about Gadsden.

Any tips on how to survive in Gadsden? Any pros and cons on the area?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times
Back Forty Truck Stop beer is about all I know about Gadsden. But, it's a good thing to know.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 14,653 times
Thank you for the input. If you were on my shoes, would you consider living in Gadsden, AL in a heart beat?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama