U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM

1,378 posts, read 813,038 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm interested in learning more about living in the Auburn area. Wikipedia says it's the fastest growing metro in AL. It also said US News gave it high marks as a place to live. Is the real estate market there hot right now? lots of building?

I'm semi-retired and may only want to live there part time. My budget would be approx 150K to 190K. A large lot would be a plus since I'm considering having animals, as would proximity to the university (5 miles away OK.) What side of town would you recommend I concentrate? Are mosquitoes bad all summer? I know it's hot in the summer, but I'm used to hot summers.

Also, is B'ham or Atlanta more convenient for air travel? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:55 PM

1,753 posts, read 1,493,984 times
You won't get a large lot within a couple miles for under 200k, but you can go 10 minutes out either north, south, or west and probably get pretty good sized yards.

It's a great place to live.

Mosquitoes aren't that bad. I suppose if you live right on a lake or have a swampy yard they could be worse. Summers are hot... borderline oppressive if you are going to be outside during the afternoon hours... but mosquitoes have never bothered me really.

Atlanta is usually going to be more convenient for air travel... way more flight options. Because the airport is on the south side of Atlanta, it's only about 90 minutes from Auburn. If you want to fly somewhere that does fly direct in and out of Birmingham, it could be more convenient just because the Atlanta airport is so massive whereas the Birmingham airport is really easy to get in and out of. But usually, Atlanta is going to give you more options, better prices, and it is a little bit closer.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 170 times
Default Quick Facts About Auburn

The unemployment rate in Auburn is 6.80 percent(U.S. avg. is 5.20%). Recent job growth is Positive. Auburn jobs have Increased by 0.79 percent.
Compared to the rest of the country, Auburn's cost of living is 4.20% Higher than the U.S. average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: