Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 31,897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am seeking guidance and advice on a possible relocation in the next 2 years to the Dothan area. We almost moved there a year ago (mid-December 2015, house was to close in 6 weeks) but due to the owner not being able to afford fixing several large items (roof and foundation) we cancelled the contract in Midland City (the part near Wallace Community College). This post is for my mom age 65 and myself, female, aged 37. We really loved the area and how friendly the people were in a short time I spent there-6 weeks. I was in the process of transferring to the main Behavioral Health Hospital there in Dothan. I was allowed to use my remaining unused vacation time of 2 years and do several weeks of work on the computer before the "transfer to Dothan. " Long story short--One HR person approved me to come to Dothan but failed to share with the new incoming HR man that she was in fact transferring to another facility herself--the holidays and transitions of HR added to not getting answers in a timely manner.

We did have an amazing realtor--Bowman. We could not have asked for a better realtor or person to show us around. I looked at numerous options the next 3 weeks meeting our criteria- 2-5 acres with a house or double wide --zoned where we could have horses, goats, mini-donkeys/horses, dogs with a country feel and not more than 30 minutes on a normal day to work or church, parks, stores, restaurants--and there was very little to choose from, in our price range. One house had 4 acres right beside the Midland City water tower--a large Spanish style home--but it apparently was labeled in town so no farm animals--even 2 or 3 would not be allowed and on 2 sides it bordered hundreds of acres of farmland.. We did like Rehobeth, Headland, Midland City, Slocomb--really the parts that felt more country but where you can see your neighbors.

We ended up deciding on Ocala, Florida as mom loves horses and I could transfer to a location that had it more together in regards to transferring... I found a house on 2.4 acres in Ocala (agricultural) and Mom wanted to close on the house where she would retire, get her house ready to sell, move from in Texas and have the dogs and I settled for 6 months before she retired, but be able to qualify for a 2nd home. In theory Ocala would be the perfect place for a retiree and someone my age, but I have found it not very welcoming, maybe due to so many snowbirds and people on the move so much, tourists, transient population, crime, or maybe it is a Florida thing I haven't figured out yet. Mom is not a retiree excited at all about The Villages, but we will plan to check out some of the things it has to offer as it is 10 miles away. We do volunteer with 2 riding facilities for horse riding for people with disabilities. It is a beautiful area, but quite often it seems the "horse people" in general are very snobby and if you are not involved in the racing industry, showing fancy horses, or have big money you are snubbed. The Florida beaches are very beautiful and I know the Gulf beaches will still be nearby from Dothan.

Advice I would like to know are is the Dothan area welcoming to newcomers who do enjoy volunteering, getting involved, going to church (Methodist/Non-Denominational), trying new things? If you have lived in or visited both Dothan and Ocala, am I completely crazy for not wanting to live in Ocala long-term? Any advice or your experiences will be greatly appreciated. Our realtor did say Dothan is a service area and also is growing to a certain degree, on up to Enterprise. I work double shifts on weekends as a counselor and 4-5 days a week as a dog-groomer/pet sitter so stay pretty busy. I do not have my own practice as a counselor or have my own grooming shop, and for me it makes sense to not open my own business if I do not plan to stay long-term. I may go the route of finding 5-10 acres with water and utilities and camping before fully moving to Alabama and later move and put up a cabin, small house, or a double wide. I do not have children yet and am not married, but I do hope to one day or adopt so in the future I would like pretty good schools. Mom would like to volunteer with kids or maybe work part time at a school. It is not the priority now, but often the quality of schools reflect an area in general. I have read many posts on Dothan and realize no area is perfect. We have looked all over the S/SE the last 3 years before deciding on Alabama or Florida and did love Foley/Robertsdale, AL as well as Nashville, TN suburbs but they are quite pricy and had other concerns. We really do like the relaxed feel of Dothan. Thanks for your honest help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 04:56 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
We had neighbors who moved to Dothan from Ocala. They are very happy here. Cost of living is slightly less than Ocala. Traffic is a lot less than Ocala. They were very happy with the availability of healthcare here in Dothan. I'm a transplant from up north and I can truly say it would be hard to beat Dothan for it's friendly citizens. Now, if you are worried about schools, I would recommend Enterprise. But for everything else, it's hard to beat Dothan.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, Tom. I really do appreciate it. I maybe wrote too much, but wanted others in your area to know I had visited, tried to relocate and what we will be looking for. I know some people post in multiple cities, states, regions and figured it was better to give more info about us. We hope to visit again. Thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 19,243 times
Exclamation Dothan quality of life

I have lived in Dothan for more than 20 years. The more I see of Dothan , the more I want to move. People seem friendly initially. But when you are here for a while , you realize they are fake people. They say they will call , or that they want to get together with you. But of course , it never happens. They use horns to say hello , and never use their cell phones. If you ask them to stop doing whatever it is they are doing , because it annoys you , they just do it even more. To most of the people here , hurting , bothering , and harassing and bullying people is better than sex to them because they do it so frequently. In the time I have lived here we have sustained over 2000.00 in vehicle damage. That includes slashed tires , head lights shot out with BB guns , side quarter panels , and doors pushed in. Good luck trying to get real justice here , especially if the person is a city employee. To these people lying is normal and in fact, expected. Few people have either honor or humility. It is truly an I , me , mine situation on steroids. I suggest anyone wanting to come here to live consider Birmingham , Irondale , Gadsden , or Columbus Georgia.

Last edited by sickofcomcast; 02-14-2017 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM

I have known people from other cities and even other countries ( Scotland , and England ) , that have nothing nice to say about Dothan. As for myself.... We became trapped here because of circumstances beyond our control. My friends from Scotland , always tell me they hate to get out of bed in the morning.

Last edited by sickofcomcast; 02-14-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Another word about Dothan.... Most of the men here are true chauvinist pigs in every sense of the word. My 1 friend from a northern state , has been passed over for promotion more times than I can count. The person is a very hard worker , and really knows the job. But.... Is constantly passed over. To live in Dothan ,requires that you have a dark brown nose. It is as though everyone in Dothan believes they and they alone are the only ones with any rights. Lastly... Few people here know what YIELD means , or even STOP. So my sincere desire is that anyone considering moving here reconsider your choice , and move somewhere else. Believe me , if you move here you will live to regret it. I know I have. I was an Army brat that has lived all over the U.S. , so I do have knowledge of other cities and states.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Thank you very much for your thoughts on Dothan. I really appreciate it. Maybe Nashville, TN or the Carolinas will be the better choice in the next two years after all. :-)

Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
Obviously, " sickofcomcast" has a problem with Dothan. As you peruse these forums you will encounter people who post "poison pen" letters about whatever city they happen to live in. Sick of Comcast? Sick of Dothan? Whatever. Some people just love to complain. I'll just say that the previous poster's experience do not reflect my own experiences with Dothan.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:07 PM

Thank you very much for your advice. Yes, I seem to see many people like that and take it as some people's opinions. I am taking time and making sure before my last move, hopefully... I think there are good people in most places and you find some negative people everywhere. I hope to be able to drive through Dothan soon. Thanks for any input and I am looking into more places also.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 18,969 times
Default Dothan - Quality of Life

Dothan city is good area to live with family as well individually. I like Water World that is main point of interest. I already spend time there, with my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama