U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 55,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
White people in the south live around black people more than any other region of the country. You'd be hard pressed to find a 95% white community in the south (unlike midwest and northeast).
I completely agree with you. The point I was trying to make is that a huge portion(not all) of southern whites were and shockingly continue to be miseducated about other races because of the fact that the south was the epicenter of segregation and many of this country's most notorious civil rights attrocities. Like keeper said racism exists everywhere, and I usually don't like commenting on it but I disagreed with the original post on this thread and I don't want all outsiders to think that ALL OR MOST of Alabama is unwelcoming to minorities or more racist than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

3,226 posts, read 5,108,308 times
turneed - thank you for posting.

As a white Southerner, IMO I have more in common with a black Southerner than I do with a white Yankee. Of course, I'm generalizing, but we pray to the same God, enjoy the same food, play the same sports, and stand up for the same values. And more often nowadays, we do it together, sometimes as the same family.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
DRD

38 posts, read 87,133 times
Thumbs down Klan

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Quit watching so much TV. The klan is not "alive and well". Have you personally seen someone dressed in a sheet and pointy hat? When was the last time there was a cross burning in YOUR neighborhood? This is so stupid.

My wife and I have pictures of the parades they hold, don't think for a second racism is dead in the south.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
turneed - thank you for posting.

As a white Southerner, IMO I have more in common with a black Southerner than I do with a white Yankee. Of course, I'm generalizing, but we pray to the same God, enjoy the same food, play the same sports, and stand up for the same values. And more often nowadays, we do it together, sometimes as the same family.
I completely agree with you! I wish there were more that felt as you did! I went to Auburn University for about 2-3 years and had to transfer to UAB for a few reasons and I miss my "Auburn family." There would be days down there where in each class I went to, each time I rode the AU transit, that I would be the only black person on there. I never felt uncomfortable, criticized, ridiculed, or mistreated in any way. I'm not looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses as some may think, but in my experience in Alabama(and I've visited and been all over the state) there are more people who see the person inside and not the color of their skin than the "racist rednecks" that many people think fill the state.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
DRD

38 posts, read 87,133 times
Default Miseducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by turneed View Post
I completely agree with you. The point I was trying to make is that a huge portion(not all) of southern whites were and shockingly continue to be miseducated about other races because of the fact that the south was the epicenter of segregation and many of this country's most notorious civil rights attrocities. Like keeper said racism exists everywhere, and I usually don't like commenting on it but I disagreed with the original post on this thread and I don't want all outsiders to think that ALL OR MOST of Alabama is unwelcoming to minorities or more racist than anywhere else.

The problem I see in Uneducated, we have to find a way to keep our kids in school and let them be able to compete with the rest of the world. There are countless thousands of kids not learning the basics with stupid laws like no child left behind.

When I went to school if you were slow you stayed in that grade until you got it.

Advancing children without the needed skills does nothing for them at all. All you become is a grade three student in grade four and so on down the line.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD View Post
My wife and I have pictures of the parades they hold, don't think for a second racism is dead in the south.
I don't think for a second that anyone believes that racism is dead(or will ever be) in the South. I think the point some are trying to make on the forum is that in their expeiriences and from what they've heard from others and see on television everyday, that racism in the South isn't much worse than it is anywhere else. Where was it recently that an unarmed dark-skinned man got shot by the cops 19 times for no good reason, was it Alabama, Mississippi, nope? It was New York.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD View Post
The problem I see in Uneducated, we have to find a way to keep our kids in school and let them be able to compete with the rest of the world. There are countless thousands of kids not learning the basics with stupid laws like no child left behind.

When I went to school if you were slow you stayed in that grade until you got it.

Advancing children without the needed skills does nothing for them at all. All you become is a grade three student in grade four and so on down the line.
I totally agree. Education is the only thing that will can permanently fix all of the problems in this state, country, and world. It seems as if in today's time education is put on the backburner and good teachers are undervalued and mistreated when education should be at the top and teaching should be one of the most valued and appreciated professions out there because it it so vital to our society.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM

49,770 posts, read 46,858,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turneed View Post
As a Black man who has lived in Alabama for most of my life, I will say that unlike the perception most folks have about the state being more racist than anywhere else is untrue. I will say that about 12 years ago there were certain parts of North Alabama where my father and I felt slightly uncomfortable mainly because of the dirty looks we were given. Yes, there are parts of the state where there are a high concentration of ignorant people whom we have given the monacre "redneck", but that does not make Alabama any different from any other state in this country. If you look at any state in this nation(or place in the world) there are areas rife with people who are ignorant enough to hate and/or discriminate against a person and/or class of people simply because of their ethnicity, relgion, sex, socioeconomic status, etc. I was born up north in Wisconsin and in my experience traveling back and forth between the North and the south I will say that in Alabama, the people are much nicer, more supportive and willing to help strangers. I can never think of an instance where I or a family member was in dire need in a southern state(esp. Alabama) and asked around for help and it was not given, and in many instances we did not have to ask for help. People of certain ethnicities, religions and backgrounds will always have to deal with racism, whether it be out in the open or hidden. How we deal with it determines our happiness. There have been numerous studies done on what makes us happy and it is found that it doesn't have much to do with how much money we have, where we live, who are friends are, it has been found that most of our happiness comes from within! A prime example: there are millions of starving children in Africa that don't have clean water to drink and don't know where their next meal is coming from who are happier and enjoy life more than a some rich people in the U.S. who can buy anything they want but are somehow so unhappy that they eventually commit suicide. You can think that you are upset and unhappy because of the state of Alabama. I bet you though that if you don't get your house in order before you leave here that you won't be happy and satisfied wherever you go! Just my long, drawn out humble opinion!
just beautiful
thank you for your post rep for you.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM

602 posts, read 1,332,172 times
I don't have statistics to post on this, but literally everyone I've ever met who lived (or had lived) in Chicago told me that it was the most racist, segregated city in the US. And...WHERE is Chicago? ILLINOIS. Hardly a southern state. Keeper is absolutely right. Alabama may have pockets of racists, but the only place you'll ever find that doesn't is Heaven.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,170,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae rae View Post
As someone raised in Alabama, you will most likely NOT be accepted. There are a ton of racist rednecks down here and anyone with brown skin is treated differently. If you are able to, you may want to reconsider moving anywhere in the southeast, where the Klan is alive and well. I plan to move away because this backwards area is NOT open-minded or accepting of anyone different from them (WASPs).
Is there a question here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama