Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 06:48 PM

24 posts, read 159,583 times

Advertisements

In researching the difference in the cost of grocceries from where we live now, in LA area (Ventura Co., CA) and Alabama (Huntsville area), we've seen some statistics from Sperlings and from ACCRA (Huntsville Chamber of Commerce site)that say that groceries are 12% (Sperling) to 27% (Chamber of Commerce) less expensive than LA. Does anyone who has lived in both LA area and Huntsville have any idea whether food is really that cheaper in AL and which is closer to reality, the 12% less or 27% less? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Default I'm not sure

but I know that sales taxes are super high here in Alabama. We like to tax the poor more than the rich, I guess.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,330 times
Sales tax rate is 8% in Huntsville which is lower than it was in Houston where I moved from. Couple that with property tax that is 1/4th what I paid in Houston I have no complaints! There is a state income tax but the rates are relatively low and overall taxes are still considerably less than many other parts of the country.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:58 PM

116 posts, read 622,289 times
Forget groceries, they're fairly similar across the country. Although milk may be cheaper in one state than another, beef may be pricier. The big ticket discrepancies will be in costs of housing (including property taxes) and income taxes. State taxes in Alabama are fairly low, but most of a person's taxes are federal anyway. Houses are not too expensive and property taxes are low. Most of the public schools are crap (though that's a highly subjective statement). I'm not familiar with your area of LA or where you're looking to move to AL, but I'd wager that you'll end up with more disposable income and a bigger house, for what that's worth. The price for that will be, well, living in Alabama, which is not a bad state and since you're already used to the urban sprawl and spending your entire life in an air conditioned car as you commute around in LA, you'll fit right into AL

Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,069 times
Default a San Diego perspective

Hi, again, astrogirl. My initial reaction was that produce and food prices seemed pretty comparable on the items I checked. I think there is sales tax on food in AL, which is a negative. However, the South is pretty anti-union and has a lot of Walmart supercenters that sell groceries. If the employees are non-union, then the stores' overhead for personnel would be lower and should lead to less upward pressure on their prices. Perhaps you heard that the San Diego city council just outlawed Walmart stores from the city limits. Our grocery prices are some of the highest in the nation; we pay something like 26% more for milk than anywhere else, and yes, our groceries are mostly unionized. I don't want to get into a political essay here, but I think there is a connection. The consumer always pays in the end. In any event, I agree with the others that groceries are a relatively small part of my expenses. I am much more concerned with housing prices and property tax rates, and that's where AL shines.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM

24 posts, read 159,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
Hi, again, astrogirl. My initial reaction was that produce and food prices seemed pretty comparable on the items I checked. I think there is sales tax on food in AL, which is a negative. However, the South is pretty anti-union and has a lot of Walmart supercenters that sell groceries. If the employees are non-union, then the stores' overhead for personnel would be lower and should lead to less upward pressure on their prices. Perhaps you heard that the San Diego city council just outlawed Walmart stores from the city limits. Our grocery prices are some of the highest in the nation; we pay something like 26% more for milk than anywhere else, and yes, our groceries are mostly unionized. I don't want to get into a political essay here, but I think there is a connection. The consumer always pays in the end. In any event, I agree with the others that groceries are a relatively small part of my expenses. I am much more concerned with housing prices and property tax rates, and that's where AL shines.
I agree that housing, taxes, utilities are a big part and much lower in AL, but for better or worse our family spends close to $1000/mo on groceries and in getting a handle on a retirement budget, savings of possibly 15-20% (and even allowing for the 8% sales tax) on groceries adds up to where it makes a noticable difference for us. Hope to get to Huntsville in summer 07 to see for ourselves. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 524,570 times
Lousiana = #16 Total tax burden

Alabama= #46

1= highest rate

50= lowest

Alabama taxes food.Can you believe that?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:50 PM

85 posts, read 505,308 times
Yes, it really is that much less. You are comparing one of the most expensive areas in the world (LA) with Alabama.

BTW sales tax is more than 8% in CA, surprised hey? No tax on food though unless in a resturant.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 35,309 times
yes it is less costly to live and buy groceries here than in California. You will be able to save a lot if you can adjust to the lower costs. Property taxes are lower, sales tax is 8%. Real Estate is starting to become costly because we are getting ready to see an influx of about 5000 people from military and defense. It's only normal that many will want to cash in on the newcomers, but that's about the only thing that is changing. Gas prices are less than California also. You'll like Huntsville.
From a transplant who's been here now 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama