Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
California > Alabama = culture shock.

You don't go from the bluest of blues to the most red state without culture shock.

Frankly, even Tennessee might be a shock. Californian escapees seem to migrate north to Oregon and Washington state, or into Colorado.
I'm pretty darn "left" and I found a way to enjoy it. I know others that have as well. Sure I had my growing pains. Moving out of the area has now caused other growing pains. And at least people in Alabama are less antagonistic to people like me since they don't have nearly as many Californians and other people from high cost areas flooding in and creating rising housing costs, among other changes.

I'm not sure Tennessee is as a whole politically much different.

Like I said, depends what you are looking for. I think he
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM

508 posts, read 616,097 times
As a state? Tennessee. As individual cities? Alabama. I’m an Alabama native.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
It depends on what specifically you are looking for.

Both states have some of the lowest COL in the US.

Are you planning on moving to a large metro area? If so, it might be more helpful to compare Nashville vs Birmingham.

If you don't care to be in a bigger city, it might help to compare hilly/mountainous areas vs Gulf Coast area.

Both states are very regionally diverse topographically and culturally, so we need to know what it is you are looking for.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,929 times
I can't find the site I was looking for. The state had a booklet for retiree's called "Alabama's Retirement Safe Haven". These sites might help:

https://www.alabamaadvantage.com/communities.html

Encyclopedia of Alabama

Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,929 times
When you know you need to cover up your license plate and decals while going thru Louisiana because those people still haven't forgiven Nick Saban.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I live in a suburb of Birmingham that's consistently rated one of the top neighborhoods in the country based on the quality of life. This year, we're ranked #2 (RANKED: The 50 best suburbs in America - Business Insider).
Interesting article. Eight of the 50 are in California, and of those, all are in Northern California. I am very familiar with those eight and all are exceptional places to live.

Therefore, I would trust that the other places on the list are likely very nice suburbs, too.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 18,261 times
Either state might be somewhat of a shock, but given the trajectory of certain cities in TN, like Nashville, and the fact that TN has NO income tax, I would suggest TN over AL, but AL is also on the Gulf and if you're a CA water-person, I would look at south AL in a heartbeat, and the weather is better by a longshot. If a place like Birmingham were on the water it would be a great place to live....if a place like Nashville were on the water, it would be a superb place to be as well. Everything is relative I guess, but for me, I hate CA, and yes, I have a place outside (north) of SD

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM

82 posts, read 105,079 times
Chattanooga, TN was voted best outdoor city in the nation and it has a strong, vibrant local economy. It attracts both young professionals and retirees. You have water there (the river runs through the city), hiking, biking, mountains close-by, reasonable (mild) seasons (the further you get down into Alabama, the greater the heat and humidity in the summer). No income tax in TN. Chattanooga is on the state line for lower sales-tax shopping in GA.

Last edited by phaneuf; 04-03-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 18,261 times
Agreed, but "heat and humidity" is commonplace in the SOUTH...even Birmingham's weather can be oppressive, in some cases even worse than Montgomery or Atlanta.

People who move to Florida understand that it's hot...lol....but that's why a/c is around. Places with snow and ice (e.g. east TN) can actually impede your physical movement, heat and humidity doesn't do any such thing.

The weather in TN also can be brutal, esp in East TN...snow n ice on ocassion...not so much in Central to south AL, MS, GA, FL.

FL also has no income tax, as well as TN

Old 04-03-2018, 01:14 PM

82 posts, read 105,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3Bmodem View Post
Agreed, but "heat and humidity" is commonplace in the SOUTH...even Birmingham's weather can be oppressive, in some cases even worse than Montgomery or Atlanta.

People who move to Florida understand that it's hot...lol....but that's why a/c is around. Places with snow and ice (e.g. east TN) can actually impede your physical movement, heat and humidity doesn't do any such thing.

The weather in TN also can be brutal, esp in East TN...snow n ice on ocassion...not so much in Central to south AL, MS, GA, FL.

FL also has no income tax, as well as TN
FL is a very attractive state tax-wise and if you like warm weather. For eastern TN, Chattanooga has milder winters than Knoxville and Johnson City. Snow falls on occasion, but rarely accumulates. The average high in January (the coldest month) in Chattanooga is a comfortable 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama